    switch on?

    Thanks

    John Davis
    John Davis, Sep 21, 2003

  2. John Davis

    Micha Guest

    "John Davis" <> schreef in bericht
    news:fKebb.97$...
    > Can any one please help. I have 2 hard drives installed on machine, I have
    > developed a fault with the drive with windows on it. How can I set up, so

    > can install windows on the good drive, and boot up from that drive when I
    > switch on?

    Hi,

    first, you must enter your BIOS at startup. Check the settings for BOOT
    DRIVE. Here you can switch to the second hard drive as default boot device.
    If you have saved this settings the system will not longer boot up. No you
    can install Windows on the drive (it's now drive C:\).
    After installing Windows you can start up and have access to the old drive
    (it's nw shown as d:\).
    But all software that requires REGISTRY or installed on a fixed path can"t
    be startet from d:\ without new installation. So, if the system is startet,
    repair the old boot drive (as possible) and set the BIOS to the old
    settings.
    If you can't you have only chance to rescue your data.

    Micha
    NEDSurf
    Het Surfnet van Nederland
    http://www.nedsurf.nl
    http://www.callunapark.nl

    ---
    Micha, Sep 21, 2003

  3. John Davis

    Patrick Guest

    John Davis wrote:
    > Can any one please help. I have 2 hard drives installed on machine, I
    > have developed a fault with the drive with windows on it. How can I
    > set up, so I can install windows on the good drive, and boot up from
    > that drive when I switch on?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John Davis

    If it was me, I'd change the Master/Slave configuration on/of each drive.
    Jumpers settings (to do said) may be described, on a label, on the drive/s).

    If you don't know how to do said (no label perhaps), then find out from the
    drive-manufacturers site (download a Manual for each drive).
    Patrick, Sep 21, 2003