    It goes into a continuous loop de loop!

    What is the real deal here?

    Much obliged hombres!

    Gabriel Rapture, May 6, 2006

  2. Gabriel Rapture

    Plato Guest

    Plato, May 6, 2006

  3. Gabriel Rapture

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Gabriel Rapture spewed forth:
    > Hello people,
    >
    > I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.
    >
    > it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
    > goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
    > After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
    > the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.
    >
    > After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
    > the icons on the desktop, and other programs.
    >
    > The screen then flashes "Blue" for less than a second, and then it
    > goes back to the "Emachine" screen again and starts to boot up again.
    >
    > It goes into a continuous loop de loop!
    >
    > What is the real deal here?
    >
    > Much obliged hombres!

    Start the computer in Safe Mode (press F8 during the POST - which is hidden
    by the eMachines splash screen, so just bang away at the F8 key during the
    whole startup. Then do Safe Mode when the boot menu comes up.)

    Right-click on My Computer, select Properties from the menu.

    On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button.

    Under System Failure, uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart".

    Exit out of all the dialog boxes, then restart.

    You should get a BSOD ("blue screen of death") when the error that is
    causing the crash/reboot occurs. Write down EVERYTHING and post that back
    here - the stop error codes are often the best source of information for
    troubleshooting.

    Toolman Tim, May 6, 2006
  4. Gabriel Rapture

    Ron Martell Guest

    Gabriel Rapture <> wrote:

    >Hello people,
    >
    >I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.
    >
    >it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
    >goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
    >After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
    >the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.
    >
    >After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
    >the icons on the desktop, and other programs.
    >
    >The screen then flashes "Blue" for less than a second, and then it
    >goes back to the "Emachine" screen again and starts to boot up again.
    >
    >It goes into a continuous loop de loop!
    >
    >What is the real deal here?
    >
    >Much obliged hombres!

    The most likely situation is that Windows XP is encountering a "system
    failure" class error condition during the startup and that you have
    left the default setting to "automatically restart on system failure"
    in place.

    The first problem that needs to be solved is to identify the specific
    error that is ocurring, and then to take whatever corrective action is
    needed to fix that problem.

    Turn on the computer and start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon
    as the first information of any kind (e.g. the eMachines BIOS logo)
    shows on the screen. Keep tapping until the Windows XP Startup Menu
    appears. Read over all of the choices on the menu, looking for one
    that reads "disable automatic restart on system failure" or words to
    that effect. That is the one you want to choose, and then watch
    carefully while the machine starts up.

    What will likely happen is that you will receive a "Blue Screen Of
    Death" STOP error message. If so then that is the information that we
    are looking for. Make note of the contents of the BSOD, especially
    the STOP code and all 4 parameter values plus any file or module names
    mentioned in the message. Post that information back here.

    If there is no "disable automatic restart on system failure" item on
    the Startup Menu then choose the option to start in Safe Mode.
    Hopefully that will bypass whatever is causing the error and the
    machien will start up okay in Safe Mode.

    If this does happen then immediately open Control Panel - System -
    Advanced and click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
    (bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery window click on the
    checkbox for "automatically restart" to clear it and then click on
    Apply and OK as needed to exit. Then you can shut down and restart
    normally, which may result in a BSOD error message as described above.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 6, 2006
  5. Ok fellows thanks! I'm a little worn out now. So I will try these
    things first thing in the morning when I'm mentally fresh.

    I'll post the results later.

    A bientot

    GB

    Gabriel Rapture, May 7, 2006
  6. So far fellows it doesn't seem to matter which of the options I pick
    in the XP startup menu. It will always leave the XP logo screen go
    dark, flash blue for a second and then return to the beginning of the
    boot sequence.

    Both CDROM drives were stick closed. I managed to get one of them
    opening and closing normally.

    The other one makes noises and attempt to open, but it is still
    jammed. I don't know if that will affect the boot up process or not?

    Everything looks and sounds normal on the inside of the computer. All
    the plugs and switches seem to be attacked correctly and seated
    properly.

    I just can't get it out of that loop.

    There was no option on the menu about unchecking "Automatic restart"?

    Porco cane!

    Gabriel Rapture, May 7, 2006
  7. Gabriel Rapture

    Supersano Guest

    Jesus H. Christ if someone bottom posts bottom post.

    At this point I would swap the bios battery for a known good one. Then
    swap the power supply with a known good one.

    A 500Mhz E-machine is from around '98. If it's still got the original
    power supply that's a miracle. My 333 model lasted 4 months.

    The "known/ good power" test is probably failing.

    On Sun, 07 May 2006 15:16:46 -0500, Gabriel Rapture wrote:

    > So far fellows it doesn't seem to matter which of the options I pick
    > in the XP startup menu. It will always leave the XP logo screen go
    > dark, flash blue for a second and then return to the beginning of the
    > boot sequence.
    >
    > Both CDROM drives were stick closed. I managed to get one of them
    > opening and closing normally.
    >
    > The other one makes noises and attempt to open, but it is still
    > jammed. I don't know if that will affect the boot up process or not?
    >
    > Everything looks and sounds normal on the inside of the computer. All
    > the plugs and switches seem to be attacked correctly and seated
    > properly.
    >
    > I just can't get it out of that loop.
    >
    > There was no option on the menu about unchecking "Automatic restart"?

    > On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:59:19 GMT, Ron Martell <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Gabriel Rapture <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello people,
    >>>
    >>>I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.
    >>>
    >>>it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
    >>>goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
    >>>After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
    >>>the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.
    >>>
    >>>After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
    >>>the icons on the desktop, and other programs.

    <snip>

    Supersano, May 7, 2006
  8. Ok,

    A thousand thanks.

    I will look into that issue. You could be on to something.

    www.aatc.com/enraptured

    So mote it be

    Gabriel Rapture, May 8, 2006
  9. Gabriel Rapture

    Ron Martell Guest

    Supersano <> wrote:

    >Jesus H. Christ if someone bottom posts bottom post.
    >
    >At this point I would swap the bios battery for a known good one.

    If it starts to boot Windows OK then the CMOS battery is *not* the
    problem.

    > Then
    >swap the power supply with a known good one.

    A bad power supply is one possible cause of this problem. However
    there are a large number of other possible causes that are equally
    likely, including bad RAM, bad video card, bad hard drive, bad data on
    the hard drive, etc etc etc.

    Ron Martell, May 8, 2006
  10. Gabriel Rapture

    Ron Martell Guest

    Gabriel Rapture <> wrote:

    >So far fellows it doesn't seem to matter which of the options I pick
    >in the XP startup menu. It will always leave the XP logo screen go
    >dark, flash blue for a second and then return to the beginning of the
    >boot sequence.
    >
    >Both CDROM drives were stick closed. I managed to get one of them
    >opening and closing normally.
    >
    >The other one makes noises and attempt to open, but it is still
    >jammed. I don't know if that will affect the boot up process or not?
    >
    >Everything looks and sounds normal on the inside of the computer. All
    >the plugs and switches seem to be attacked correctly and seated
    >properly.
    >
    >I just can't get it out of that loop.
    >
    >There was no option on the menu about unchecking "Automatic restart"?

    Yuck.

    Do you have your Windows XP installation CD? If so then your best
    option at this point is to try a "Repair Install" of your Windows XP
    as per the instructions at

    Ron Martell, May 8, 2006
  11. Gabriel Rapture

    Supersano Guest

    On Mon, 08 May 2006 04:52:19 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:

    > Supersano <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jesus H. Christ if someone bottom posts bottom post.
    >>
    >>At this point I would swap the bios battery for a known good one.

    > If it starts to boot Windows OK then the CMOS battery is *not* the
    > problem.

    I agree. It was more of a prophylactic given the probable vintage of the
    machine.

    >> Then swap the power supply with a known good one.

    > A bad power supply is one possible cause of this problem. However
    > there are a large number of other possible causes that are equally
    > likely, including bad RAM, bad video card, bad hard drive, bad data on
    > the hard drive, etc etc etc.
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    I was leaning toward a hardware problem. I've had a couple of boards
    that would start to boot, but never get a screen.

    I found a trick (elsewhere) of subbing a slower piece of ram, for some
    reason or other, would get the thing going. Then go back and reinstall
    the original stuff. But the poster was getting a video signal.

    Supersano, May 8, 2006