    does not activate on the 3.5 drive at boot). It won't read a cd autorun.

    Any ideas?

    Is this my next parts machine? ;d
    Lizard, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Lizard

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Lizard composed the following ...
    > It may be useless but...
    >
    > I'm trying to bootup in any way a w98 machine. I have all the original
    > restore software but the machine won't boot far enought to access any
    > drive. It flashes some word lines, i beleive that it is the bios ver,
    > then it freezes on the Gateway logo....no, no goback installed. I've
    > tries getting into safe mode, setup, tried a different floppy drive,
    > (the light does not activate on the 3.5 drive at boot). It won't read a
    > cd autorun.

    Have you tried a bootable floppy disk?

    > Is this my next parts machine? ;d

    Possibly ... ;)

    Is this a machine that's been working and failed overnight, say, or has
    there been a problem that you've tried to fix and screwed it. Has it just
    been stood for a few months ? A bit more detail leading up to the boot
    problem might help determine what's wrong.

    1. I'd open the box (with power off and un-plugged) and check that power
    supply, ram, cpu and heatsink, and all cables are still secure, then re-boot
    to see where it goes to ... I'd also, possibly, remove the cables and ram
    and re-seat everything ..

    2. Turn off and unplug, then pull the ram and boot to see how far the boot
    goes ..

    3. If it 'sees' the ram, turn off and unplug, then pull a hd cable and try
    again ..

    etc etc until I've nailed which part is failing. 'Course, it could just be a
    power supply issue, or a motherboard issue, or a bad BIOS flash etc etc

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
    Paul - xxx, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Lizard

    Rob K Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:04:41 GMT, Lizard wrote:

    <snip>

    > Is this my next parts machine? ;d

    Maybe - maybe not.
    Are your drives listed properly in BIOS ? Can you hear them spinning up
    at boot ? F2 is a common key to get into BIOS but there are others.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Lizard wrote:

    > It may be useless but...
    >
    > I'm trying to bootup in any way a w98 machine. I have all the original
    > restore software but the machine won't boot far enought to access any
    > drive. It flashes some word lines, i beleive that it is the bios ver,
    > then
    > it freezes on the Gateway logo....no, no goback installed. I've tries
    > getting into safe mode, setup, tried a different floppy drive, (the light
    > does not activate on the 3.5 drive at boot). It won't read a cd autorun.

    The gateway logo probably hides the POST (power on self test) and you should
    press esc to see the text behind. No clue about the failure, but since even
    your floppy doesn't initialize, it might be a hardware failure of some
    kind.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Lizard

    Lizard Guest

    Rob K <> wrote in news:cr0hpo$int$:

    > On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:04:41 GMT, Lizard wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Is this my next parts machine? ;d

    > Maybe - maybe not.
    > Are your drives listed properly in BIOS ? Can you hear them spinning up
    > at boot ? F2 is a common key to get into BIOS but there are others.

    No, no sound at all. i heard 2 beeps once but then nothing happened.
    Lizard, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Lizard

    Lizard Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote in

    > Lizard wrote:
    >
    >> It may be useless but...

    snip..

    > The gateway logo probably hides the POST (power on self test) and you
    > should press esc to see the text behind. No clue about the failure,
    > but since even your floppy doesn't initialize, it might be a hardware
    > failure of some kind.

    I tried escape, F2 F1, F8, Cntrl .....
    Lizard, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Lizard

    Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:58:50 GMT, Lizard
    <> wrote:

    |> Rob K <> wrote in news:cr0hpo$int$:
    |>
    |> > On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:04:41 GMT, Lizard wrote:
    |> >
    |> > <snip>

    |> > Maybe - maybe not.
    |> > Are your drives listed properly in BIOS ? Can you hear them spinning up
    |> > at boot ? F2 is a common key to get into BIOS but there are others.
    |> >

    |> No, no sound at all. i heard 2 beeps once but then nothing happened.

    That's the key, http://tinyurl.com/5qqua Memory problems(?).

    Also you can hit the Pause key when your bios is booting up to read
    screen text (enter to continue).

    --
    , Dec 30, 2004
  8. Lizard

    Lizard Guest

    wrote in

    > On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:58:50 GMT, Lizard
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >|> Rob K <> wrote in

    >|> No, no sound at all. i heard 2 beeps once but then nothing
    >|> happened.
    >
    > That's the key, http://tinyurl.com/5qqua Memory problems(?).
    >
    > Also you can hit the Pause key when your bios is booting up to read
    > screen text (enter to continue).

    I'll give that a try, its looking up. :)
    Lizard, Dec 30, 2004
  9. Lizard

    Eli Aran Guest

    try replacing the mouse
    try replacing the keyboard
    check to see if the cpu fan is turning. if it isnt - possibly your cpu burnt
    out.
    you may need to replace the power supplier (transformer)
    first try replacing the power cable

    Eli Aran, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Lizard

    Lizard Guest

    "Eli Aran" <> wrote in

    > try replacing the mouse
    > try replacing the keyboard
    > check to see if the cpu fan is turning. if it isnt - possibly your cpu
    > burnt out.
    > you may need to replace the power supplier (transformer)
    > first try replacing the power cable
    >
    > "Lizard" <> wrote in message
    >> Walter Mautner <> wrote in

    >> snip..
    >>
    >> > The gateway logo probably hides the POST (power on self test) and
    >> > you should press esc to see the text behind. No clue about the
    >> > failure, but since even your floppy doesn't initialize, it might be
    >> > a hardware failure of some kind.
    >> >

    >> I tried escape, F2 F1, F8, Cntrl .....

    yes!!!!

    thanks all who responded. It was the keyboard that was bad.
    Reformatting and upgrading now..
    Lizard, Dec 30, 2004