    runs fine.
    Could someone please direct me on how to solve this problem because
    when i type the path in to delete the file nothing comes up. thanks
    Steelman, Dec 24, 2004

  2. Steelman

    Ingeborg Guest

    Steelman <> wrote in
    news::

    > Could Someone Please help. When my machine has booted up i get a
    > message 16 Bit Windows Subsystem C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the
    > system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft
    > applictions. then you need to click close or ignore and the machine
    > runs fine.
    > Could someone please direct me on how to solve this problem because
    > when i type the path in to delete the file nothing comes up. thanks

    Your system is trying to start a dos program or a 16 bit windows program
    during startup. You can use msconfig to find out which program this is, and
    disable it.

    You can also repair your XP installation:

    'Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program'
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    Ingeborg, Dec 24, 2004

  3. Steelman

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:28:21 GMT, Steelman wrote:

    >Could Someone Please help. When my machine has booted up i get a
    >message 16 Bit Windows Subsystem C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the
    >system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft

    This will be the most popular question for Dec 2004 and has already been
    answered many times.

    >applictions. then you need to click close or ignore and the machine
    >runs fine.
    >Could someone please direct me on how to solve this problem because

    Q- Solve this?
    A - http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk

    You will find ,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    replies to the same questions which also usually include the links to
    the MS knowledge base article if not the fix.

    >when i type the path in to delete the file nothing comes up. thanks

    Me
    why?, Dec 24, 2004
  4. Steelman

    Ron Martell Guest

    Steelman <> wrote:

    >Could Someone Please help. When my machine has booted up i get a
    >message 16 Bit Windows Subsystem C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the
    >system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft
    >applictions. then you need to click close or ignore and the machine
    >runs fine.
    >Could someone please direct me on how to solve this problem because
    >when i type the path in to delete the file nothing comes up. thanks

    You should be aware that there are at least a couple of viruses that
    cause this problem so if you replace the autoexec.nt file as per the
    Knowledge Base article that Ingeborg mentioned the problem is likely
    to come back.

    So make sure that your antivirus software is completely up to date and
    do a full virus scan of your system. Then check it for spyware as per
    the procedure at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    Merry Christmas.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --