    entry in the boot.ini file so that it will boot directly into DOS mode,
    without installing a version of DOS on my system? I do not want to run
    ghost from windows.

    jjw, Sep 16, 2004

  2. jjw

    MF Guest

    There;s no way to have ntldr do it, it's the OS loader for nt. But
    there is a way to set 98 to boot directly into DOS. I forget what it is.
    Look it up, do it, then when you choose 98 from the boot.ini menu, it might
    work. Of course, it might just screw up your partition boot sector, so find
    a bootsector backup program and back it up first.

    There is also a 98 boot disk. You want DOS? It got DOS.

    You can also arrow down to win98 on the boot.ini menu, hit enter, then hit
    F8 real fast. Don;t give up. You'll get the hang of it. Then pick DOS from
    the menu.

    "jjw" <> wrote in message
    > I dual boot win98/winxp. When I ghost my system, I have to restart into

    98,

    MF, Sep 17, 2004

  3. jjw

    AG Guest

    "jjw" <> wrote in message
    > I dual boot win98/winxp. When I ghost my system, I have to restart into

    98,
    > then boot into dos mode, then run Norton Ghost. Is there a way to add an
    > entry in the boot.ini file so that it will boot directly into DOS mode,
    > without installing a version of DOS on my system? I do not want to run
    > ghost from windows.

    Tweak UI can automatically give you a boot menu every time you boot 98.
    It's just a check box in the "Always Show Boot Menu" box on the boot tab.
    AG

    AG, Sep 17, 2004
  4. jjw

    jjw Guest

    "MF" <> wrote in message
    > There;s no way to have ntldr do it, it's the OS loader for nt. But
    > there is a way to set 98 to boot directly into DOS. I forget what it is.
    > Look it up, do it, then when you choose 98 from the boot.ini menu, it
    > might
    > work. Of course, it might just screw up your partition boot sector, so
    > find
    > a bootsector backup program and back it up first.
    >
    > There is also a 98 boot disk. You want DOS? It got DOS.
    >
    > You can also arrow down to win98 on the boot.ini menu, hit enter, then hit
    > F8 real fast. Don;t give up. You'll get the hang of it. Then pick DOS
    > from
    > the menu.

    I have tried pressing F8 on boot, but the only option it has is safe mode
    with dos prompt, and that doesn't do anything....it seems like it only works
    when u are booting an NT-based OS. But I have been searching for a couple
    weeks for a way to make win98 boot directly to dos, but have not found a way
    yet. I have a boot disk, but my floppy drive only works sometime, and I
    don't really want to have to find the floppy when I need dos.

    jjw

    jjw, Sep 18, 2004
  5. jjw

    jjw Guest

    "AG" <> wrote in message

    > Tweak UI can automatically give you a boot menu every time you boot 98.
    > It's just a check box in the "Always Show Boot Menu" box on the boot tab.
    > AG

    great, I will try that, thanks

    jjw

    jjw, Sep 18, 2004