Boot speed

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by TurboFox, Jul 2, 2009.

  1. TurboFox

    TurboFox Guest

    I have a c2d T6400, 4 gb ddr2 and vista ult. oem on a dell inspiron 1545
    laptop i bought in march, i can wipe and install xp x64 but no drivers,
    that's not really
    important however

    Here is the problem:

    I takes 17 seconds from power to ready for XP x64
    but 6 frickin mins for vista ult x64 power to ready
    maybe I'm crazy but to me this is un-acceptable

    I actually wiped it i bought it so, i have none of the pre-installed dell
    crap on it, just vista ult. SP2 and drivers, nothing else. Couple progs
    installed: Firefox, itunes, OpenOffice, turned off all un-necessary services
    so its as stream lined as possible. Windows performance says everything is
    fine

    Im wondering if win 7 is going to help speed up a bit. I'm illegible for
    free upgrade because i got it before that offer was available
    I need some advice because vista is really starting to bother me with its
    speed but i dont know if its worth getting 7 maybe i should just wait for
    another Vista SP or should i cough up another 500$ for 7?

    TurboFox, Jul 2, 2009

  2. TurboFox

    tsperling Guest

    It's not easy to guess what it is, but something is not right there. Can you
    read your Event Viewer? Errors and warnings that are consistent from boot to
    boot will be important to try and figure out what they mean.

    Personally, I would set up everything back to default (BIOS and Services
    too) and then disable everything in the BIOS that you know you don't need.
    It could be Serial and Parallel connectors, Bluetooth and other such stuff.
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, Vista is having trouble with Card-Readers and
    some of the USB stuff. After all that, you close-read your event viewer
    looking at how it changes from boot to boot.

    You should only ever change one item at a time, that is why I suggest going
    back to default and start from there (with everything turned off in the BIOS
    that you don't have support for in real life).

    Then I also wonder what you mean by boot, because nothing boots in 17
    seconds! On the other hand, nothing aside from OS2 should take 6 minutes!

    There are two kinds of Booting - Cold Boot and Warm Boot. Cold is from
    initial Power-On and Warm is from re-booting (which is skipping POST) and
    those boot-times will be quite different and cannot be compared.

    Then you can wake up the machine after various schemes of Sleep and Stand-by
    situations, but that is not Booting since it doesn't go through the BIOS or
    the Boot Sector. Such a wake-up could take 17 seconds and could freeze your
    machine or simply take for ever.

    Not to split hairs - but it is important that we speak about the same things
    if we are to reach a conclusion.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 2, 2009

  3. TurboFox

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    He could also use the 600KB freeware Autoruns
    (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) - updated
    yesterday! - to have a thourough understanding of what is being loaded during
    boot and easily uncheck the unneeded entries.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 2, 2009
  4. Agreed. Though in this case, I strongly suspect a device is timing out. This
    very slow boot is almost always caused by the wait for something to
    initialize that isn't doing so. I usually suspect networking, but it is by
    no means the only possibility.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64