    Here is the problem:

    I takes 17 seconds from power on to ready for XP x64
    but 5 frickin mins for vista power to ready
    TurboFox, Jul 2, 2009

  2. TurboFox

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Vista has some excellent tools built in to diagnose performance problems.
    The first thing to do is to open Performance Information and Tools =>
    Advanced Tools. Often the boot problem will be listed here. If it's not open
    the Event Viewer. Drill down to

    Applications and Services Logs
    Microsoft
    Windows
    Diagnostics Performance
    Operational

    Look for the Task Category "Boot Performance". You will usually see what
    program, service, or driver is causing the slow boot listed here.

    --
    Kerry Brown
    http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    Kerry Brown, Jul 2, 2009

  3. TurboFox

    TMA Guest

    Did you say SEVENTEEN seconds???? Wow!
    My desktop pc is also a c2d T6400 with 8gb ddr2 and XP takes about 17 HOURS
    to ready ;)
    Ok, no kidding, after a clean install, it takes almost 1 minute to ready.

    As for your vista problem, I've always noticed Vista is heavy to boot up.
    Yes, about 6 to 8 minutes with all my heavy loaded bunch of startup software
    installed. But in your case you don't seem to be using that many
    applications so it's indeed too slow. But here I leave one note for the
    record, Win7 for me is the faster one to boot up. Even faster than XP.

    TMA, Jul 4, 2009
  4. TurboFox

    TurboFox Guest

    Sorry for the mix-up, this is my experience with XP vs Vista...

    Laptop OFF then press power button. including POST to xp ready (open a
    webpage) - 17 sec (i don`t see the xp loading screen, just dell screen then
    xp desktop)
    Laptop OFF then press power button. including POST to vista ready (open a
    webpage) - 5-6 mins

    Only thing i can think of are:

    The wireless internet Connection
    Live OneCare but that doesn't really use much power to load
    Apple Bonjour may be a problem according to some sites but i cant disable
    because i use an iPhone so i need that service
    Windows sidebar is the most worthless piece of crap that I've ever seen so
    that's gone also

    I found an easier way to avoid waiting :p

    1) Never shut down (vistas good for restarting explorer when it crashes)
    2) have a cig. during boot - the time it takes me to get outside, smoke and
    back in is like 10 mins so i wont notice the time, i guess :p
    TurboFox, Jul 5, 2009
  5. Your description sounds like you have XP in the 'Sleep' mode and Vista
    is booting up normally.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 5, 2009
  6. TurboFox

    tsperling Guest

    I should perhaps excuse myself, I have just noticed that some manufacturers
    do advertise products that are said to be booting in 'seconds' using a
    certain 'fast boot' utility. It is, however, followed by a warning not to
    turn off the AC. This means it is a, more or less, modified 'sleep' function
    and I shall maintain that I still do not see a 'wake-up' function to equal
    the term "Booting".

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 19, 2009