    while. I was told I might have a virus in the boot sector. I have the Sassor
    worm virus showing up after I have reformatted and when I'm not hooked to
    the internet. How might I fix this?

    Stephen I. Miechkota, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Stephen I. Miechkota

    edard Guest

    Stephen I. Miechkota wrote:

    > I have reformatted my computer a hundred times and it goes nuts in a short
    > while. I was told I might have a virus in the boot sector. I have the
    > Sassor worm virus showing up after I have reformatted and when I'm not
    > hooked to the internet. How might I fix this?

    You will need to "wipe" that hard drive. The hard drive manufacturer will
    have downloadable utilities on their site to do a low level format. I have
    used wipe.com (it writes 0s into each disk sector) in the past but
    understand that it does not fill the larger modern hard drives.
    HTH

    edard, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Stephen I. Miechkota wrote:
    > I have reformatted my computer a hundred times and it goes nuts in a short
    > while. I was told I might have a virus in the boot sector. I have the Sassor
    > worm virus showing up after I have reformatted and when I'm not hooked to
    > the internet. How might I fix this?

    The Sasser virus is not a boot sector virus. If you don't connect to the
    net and you've just formatted the drive, then it had to get on there
    somehow. First, make sure that the disk you're installing Windows from
    is absolutely clean (isn't a "burnt" copy by any chance, is it?). Then
    see if there's any floppy, CD, slave drive or any other way that it can
    get to you. Turn off system restore, disconnect any networking cables.

    Almost any decent antivirus program will detect and remove boot sector
    viruses. But if you want to make sure you get rid of a boot sector
    virus, use a program like wipe.com (Norton Utilities also has a wipe
    utility):

    http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/misc/ibm-wipe-zap.html#1

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 20, 2005