    do you want to continue Y/N?"

    When I type in Y or N it does nothing.

    Help!
    Nick Heaps, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Nick Heaps

    Nick Heaps Guest

    Sorry!

    I just ran it again.

    It goes through the set up wizard and gets to 100% then I get a message:

    Bootsector write !!
    Virus: continue (Y/N)?

    Nick Heaps, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Nick Heaps

    Palindrome Guest

    Nick Heaps wrote:

    > I'm trying to do a clean load of ME onto a disk that has a virus.
    >
    > How do I get rid of a virus in the boot sector?
    > I've run a Norton scan through it, booted from a clean disk, but it still
    > comes up.
    > I can do a scandisk and it comes back as clean.
    >
    > The message I get comes up when ME is checking the system. ME loads up to
    > the point it checks the system, goes to 100%, then I get the message:
    >
    > "boot sector virus!
    > do you want to continue Y/N?"
    >
    > When I type in Y or N it does nothing.
    >
    > Help!

    Firstly, I am no expert with virus infections, I have never seen one.
    But I would try booting off a write protected floppy or a CD and just
    doing sys c: . I would have thought that would have over-written the
    boot sector...
    Palindrome, Apr 6, 2004
  4. Nick Heaps

    Palindrome Guest

    Nick Heaps wrote:

    > Sorry!
    >
    > I just ran it again.
    >
    > It goes through the set up wizard and gets to 100% then I get a message:
    >
    > Bootsector write !!
    > Virus: continue (Y/N)?
    >

    > "Nick Heaps" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm trying to do a clean load of ME onto a disk that has a virus.
    >>
    >>How do I get rid of a virus in the boot sector?
    >>I've run a Norton scan through it, booted from a clean disk, but it still
    >>comes up.
    >>I can do a scandisk and it comes back as clean.
    >>
    >>The message I get comes up when ME is checking the system. ME loads up to
    >>the point it checks the system, goes to 100%, then I get the message:
    >>
    >>"boot sector virus!
    >>do you want to continue Y/N?"
    >>
    >>When I type in Y or N it does nothing.
    >>
    >>Help!

    Just a thought, but you haven't got virus checking enabled in the BIOS
    and this isn't just the BIOS detecting a legitimate re-write of the boot
    sector, is it? If so, you can disable the BIOS virus check and then sys
    the drive as normal.
    Palindrome, Apr 6, 2004
  5. Nick Heaps

    hushia Guest

    "Nick Heaps" <> wrote in message
    > How do I get rid of a virus in the boot sector?

    <knip>

    Turn off pc, put in a bootable floppy with fdisk on it.
    Boot and then use the command fdisk /mbr to reset the master boot record.
    Worked for me.
    But you might want to do some research on this particular virus first, to
    see if that is the preferred removal.
    hushia, Apr 6, 2004
  6. Nick Heaps

    Plato Guest

    Nick Heaps wrote:

    > I'm trying to do a clean load of ME onto a disk that has a virus.

    1. You need a clean bootdisk. A clean bootdisk cannot be created on an
    boot sector infected PC.

    2. After you boot with a clean bootdisk, since you want to do a clean
    install of ME, one can use the fdisk /mbr command to delete a boot
    sector virus.

    3. If you are using a disk manager or multi-boot config, then use f-prot
    for dos instead to kill the boot sector virus.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 6, 2004
  7. Howdy!

    "Nick Heaps" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry!
    >
    > I just ran it again.
    >
    > It goes through the set up wizard and gets to 100% then I get a message:
    >
    > Bootsector write !!
    > Virus: continue (Y/N)?

    Hehehehe!

    Turn OFF the boot sector virus protection in the BIOS and then try
    the install.

    See, the BIOS thinks Windows is a virus. And is warning you that
    it's trying to write to the boot sector.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Apr 7, 2004
  8. Nick Heaps

    DC Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    > "Nick Heaps" <> wrote in message

    >> It goes through the set up wizard and gets to 100% then I get a message:

    >> Bootsector write !!
    >> Virus: continue (Y/N)?

    > Turn OFF the boot sector virus protection in the BIOS and then try
    > the install.

    > See, the BIOS thinks Windows is a virus. And is warning you that
    > it's trying to write to the boot sector.

    Hmmm. That must be one of these new generation "smart bios" I've been
    reading so much about. };O)

    --
    DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

    DC, Apr 7, 2004