Boot Records - ?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by sbmike, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. sbmike

    sbmike Guest

    I'm having trouble with the following terms:

    - Dos Boot Record

    - Volume Boot Record

    - Boot Record

    - Master Boot Record

    - Partition Record

    Is there a good site that explains each or does someone have a resource they
    can direct me to. I think some terms are interchangeable and the four books
    I have only seem to muddy the water more.

    Mike

    sbmike, Dec 8, 2004

  2. sbmike

    MF Guest

    Hey, Mike,
    this confuses everybody, including those who write the books. (and you even
    forgot the boot sector, which throws in a little more confusion.) but it's
    pretty simple.

    in the dos/windows world, there's a master boot record or boot sector. it's
    the first thing on the hard drive. it holds partition info: what and where
    the partitions on the disk are and which one is active, that is holds the
    stuff the OS needs to start. and it also holds a little program
    (executable) that runs and exists only to run what the OS needs to run. eg,
    in NT and it's children, ntldr.

    Then on each partition there's a partition boot record, that holds info
    about the file system and the directory structure.

    this is much simplified, but, basically, it. discard all the other names,
    EXCEPT for volume boot sector. now, since volumes can be different from
    partitions and have different definitions depending on the OS, you have to
    specify the OS and the context to get a definition for volume before you
    even think about the boot record.

    strongly suggest you practise searching for technical info on the net using
    this question as a base. try google.com and microsoft.com first. just
    remember the MBR holds info about the partitions on the physical disk, the
    partition boot record (aka dos boot record) holds info about that particular
    partition. and volumes mean what the os mfgr says they mean.

    learn to search the net and good luck

    Mike
    Mike

    MF, Dec 10, 2004

  3. sbmike

    sbmike Guest

    Thanks,

    With your help, googles and rereading I think the picture is clearing up.

    (sb) Mike

    sbmike, Dec 10, 2004