    fixboot
    fixmbr
    , Jan 27, 2007

  2. See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are in
    there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
    install CD.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/ar...-Boot-Problems-with-XP-x64-and-Vista-x64.aspx

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Spinnacre Guest

    This site has instructions for a boot disk tool that should help you out:
    http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

    The boot disk has worked for me several times in the past. I used a floppy,
    but you may try a bootable USB drive or CD. One of the boot configurations
    should work unless you have some kind of strange disk configuration (my RAID
    0 with 4 partitions did fine). Once you find one that works, Windows should
    boot fine, but you will need to fix your boot files, particularly the
    boot.ini (which is what gives you the menu of different configuration
    options you chose from). Now, in Windows, open the boot.ini (on the
    temporary boot disk) and delete the lines of code for all the boot
    configurations other than the one that worked for you. Now save the file to
    your C:\ (typically) as boot.ini and copy the following files from the
    temporary boot disk to your C:\

    bootmgr
    io.sys
    ntdetect.com
    ntldr

    You should not need the boot disk after that, but you may want to keep it
    around for future reference. It will still work to get you into Windows in
    case you didn't edit the file right.

    To show how slim a boot.ini should be, here is my boot.ini file which is
    somewhat abnormal, but will give you an idea of the rest of the full
    structure:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition 3GB" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /3GB /FASTDETECT
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /FASTDETECT
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x86
    Edition" /FASTDETECT

    Note that this file tells Windows to display an OS menu with 3 OS options in
    sequential order:
    two configurations for Windows XP x64 on partition #2 of disk #0 of port #0
    (one allots more RAM to 32-bit programs in XP x64) as well as one
    configuration for Windows XP x86 on partition #1 of disk #0 of port #0

    The menu will automatically timeout after 10 seconds and select the 1st
    option in the list:
    "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition 3GB"

    Your boot.ini will likely be different, but this should get you on the right
    path.

    Also, you can install Recovery Console to boot menu, eliminating the need of
    Windows CD and the lengthy process of getting to the Recovery Console.
    Instructions: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm

    It should be noted that Vista uses a different way of managing the boot
    process. There is no longer a text file called boot.ini. Boot information is
    stored in a Registry-like file called the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
    store. Extensive information on the new boot process can be found at this
    Microsoft site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/bcd.mspx

    ~Spinnacre

    Spinnacre, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Jan 26, 11:04 pm, "Spinnacre" <> wrote:
> [...]
    > stored in a Registry-like file called the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
    > store. Extensive information on the new boot process can be found at this
    > Microsoft site:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/bcd.mspx
    >
    > ~Spinnacre
    >
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > >A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
    > > commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
    > > CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].

    > > Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
    > > since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
    > > a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
    > > try to boot.

    > > I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,

    This looks useful, but I don't think I should be copying files from
    floppy to the hard drive with a fake raid.
    , Jan 27, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Jan 26, 10:42 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are in
    > there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
    > install CD.
    >
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/09/28/Fixing-Dual-Boot-...
    >
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Well, this is progress. I got as far as bootcfg/rebuild
    Here is where I'm confused. I assume in your website, d: is the CDROM.
    If so, all the nt*.* files sit in the directory i386
    In that directory, there are the following files:
    ntdetect.com 47772 03/25/05
    ntldr 295536 03/25/05

    On my x64 partition, which is e:, I have:
    ntdetect.com 47772 3/25/05
    ntest directory
    ntldr 297072 01/16/07

    So is the proper file on the i386 directory? Also, my ntldr is there
    and is larger than the one on the cdrom.

    I can't seem to find the ECD 1.52 file, just the older files.

    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > >A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
    > > commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
    > > CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].

    > > Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
    > > since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
    > > a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
    > > try to boot.

    > > I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,
    > > namely
    > > bootcfg
    > > fixboot
    > > fixmbr
    , Jan 27, 2007
  6. Spinnacre Guest

    > This looks useful, but I don't think I should be copying files from
    > floppy to the hard drive with a fake raid.

    If you mean a software RAID, that should make no difference.

    In any case, you need not copy any files from the floppy, but you will have
    to start Windows every time from the floppy/USB/CD because you will still
    not have a boot.ini
    (the other files you can and probably should obtain from the Windows CD).

    Anyway, good luck

    ~Spinnacre
    Spinnacre, Jan 27, 2007
  7. John Barnes Guest

    Help with your question
    fixmbr a command which will fix the mbr of the system drive - first
    hard drive in boot priority
    fixboot a command which is volume dependent and will default to the
    system volume unless one is specified The volume is the one shown in
    recovery console, not the one shown in any system.

    for all commands, if you use space /? it will give you all the options and
    formats.

    With regards to your situation, boot sequence BIOS passes control to mbr of
    first hard drive in boot priority (finds active volume) passes control to
    boot record on active volume. Looks for boot program listed in the boot
    record, in this case NTLDR. This is where you are. You need to verify
    each step in boot sequence up to this point. Make sure boot priority in
    BIOS hasn't changed. Also, check that you have the correct volume set
    active.

    John Barnes, Jan 27, 2007
  8. OT:

    John, just out of curiosity, when is it possible to boot without a boot.ini
    file? I seem to be doing just that.

    (Please do not spend your valuable time posting a fix. My system ain't
    broke and I'm not going to fix it. I am just curious why I can boot fine
    when everyone says you cannot start without a boot.ini file.)

    I have been using my original installation of XP Pro x64 with a missing
    boot.ini file message during boot for about a year. Since the system
    promptly boots into XP Pro x64 just fine following the message I haven't
    messed with it. It is on my test box and has been the base OS for
    multibooting dozens of Vista betas etc. The message appears immediately
    after selecting the OS on the boot options screen and looks like a BIOS
    message.

    It strikes me as strange that I boot with no problem.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 27, 2007
  9. Actually, in my case, D: was the existing XP x64 install, which had known
    good ones. I prefer to pull the ones off of a known good XP x64 install
    when trying to get back to that as my core OS.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 27, 2007
  10. oh. And EasyBCD download is at: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 (first hit
    if you google EasyBCD)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 27, 2007
  11. once you move to BCD, boot.ini is no longer used. Unless you have multiple
    legacy OSs.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 27, 2007
  12. John Barnes Guest

    Much better question for Darrell than me. In my experience when the
    boot.ini is missing, the volume containing the called NTLDR is the one XP
    has to be installed on. This would normally be the system drive, but in the
    case of Vista boot calling it I haven't tried, as so far I have always had
    the XP boot files on the system drive also.

    John Barnes, Jan 27, 2007
  13. John Barnes Guest

    The legacy NTLDR called from the Vista boot loader performs the same
    functions it always did.

    John Barnes, Jan 27, 2007
  14. Guest

    On Jan 27, 11:46 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > oh. And EasyBCD download is at:http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1(first hit
    > if you google EasyBCD)
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Is it me? I see links to download the older versions on that page, but
    not the current revision.

    In any event, the softpedia link has the current rev.

    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > On Jan 26, 10:42 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are
    > >> in
    > >> there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
    > >> install CD.

    > >>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/09/28/Fixing-Dual-Boot-...

    > >>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx

    > >> --
    > >> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    > > Well, this is progress. I got as far as bootcfg/rebuild
    > > Here is where I'm confused. I assume in your website, d: is the CDROM.
    > > If so, all the nt*.* files sit in the directory i386
    > > In that directory, there are the following files:
    > > ntdetect.com 47772 03/25/05
    > > ntldr 295536 03/25/05

    > > On my x64 partition, which is e:, I have:
    > > ntdetect.com 47772 3/25/05
    > > ntest directory
    > > ntldr 297072 01/16/07

    > > So is the proper file on the i386 directory? Also, my ntldr is there
    > > and is larger than the one on the cdrom.

    > > I can't seem to find the ECD 1.52 file, just the older files.

    > >> <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:...

    , Jan 27, 2007
  15. Guest

    On Jan 27, 11:35 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > Actually, in my case, D: was the existing XP x64 install, which had known
    > good ones. I prefer to pull the ones off of a known good XP x64 install
    > when trying to get back to that as my core OS.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    But then I must have a different problem since I do have the NTLDR
    file on my HD. I'll see what happens with Easy BCD.

    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > On Jan 26, 10:42 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are
    > >> in
    > >> there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
    > >> install CD.

    > >>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/09/28/Fixing-Dual-Boot-...

    > >>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx

    > >> --
    > >> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    > > Well, this is progress. I got as far as bootcfg/rebuild
    > > Here is where I'm confused. I assume in your website, d: is the CDROM.
    > > If so, all the nt*.* files sit in the directory i386
    > > In that directory, there are the following files:
    > > ntdetect.com 47772 03/25/05
    > > ntldr 295536 03/25/05

    > > On my x64 partition, which is e:, I have:
    > > ntdetect.com 47772 3/25/05
    > > ntest directory
    > > ntldr 297072 01/16/07

    > > So is the proper file on the i386 directory? Also, my ntldr is there
    > > and is larger than the one on the cdrom.

    > > I can't seem to find the ECD 1.52 file, just the older files.

    > >> <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:...

    , Jan 27, 2007
  16. Guest

    Easy BCD is too large to fit on a floppy. The guide file link is a
    404.

    I put it on a bootable cdrom using NERO, but I can't get it to work.
    Needless to say, HELP!
    , Jan 27, 2007
  17. Guest

    On Jan 27, 1:38 am, "Spinnacre" <> wrote:
    > > This looks useful, but I don't think I should be copying files from
    > > floppy to the hard drive with a fake raid.If you mean a software RAID, that should make no difference.

    > In any case, you need not copy any files from the floppy, but you will have
    > to start Windows every time from the floppy/USB/CD because you will still
    > not have a boot.ini
    > (the other files you can and probably should obtain from the Windows CD).
    >
    > Anyway, good luck
    >
    > ~Spinnacre

    Since EASY BCD isn't so easy, I'm looking into your suggestion.
    However, it doesn't say it works for X64.
    , Jan 27, 2007
  18. Guest

> [...]
    > stored in a Registry-like file called the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
    > store. Extensive information on the new boot process can be found at this
    > Microsoft site:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/bcd.mspx
    >
    > ~Spinnacre
    >
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > >A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
    > > commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
    > > CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].

    > > Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
    > > since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
    > > a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
    > > try to boot.

    > > I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,

    I think I get this method now. When I copied my old notebook drive to
    the new one, the new drive wouldn't boot. I got it to boot with this
    CDROM. So I gather this software does not write to the master boot
    record, but lets you get the OS running and do repairs from a more
    friendly evironment.

    The new drive in my notebook now works, though hell if I know why. ;-)
    , Jan 28, 2007
  19. John Barnes Guest

    You are a lost soul. EasyBCD has to be installed on Vista or XP. You
    haven't provided useful information to solve your problem, so I tried to
    give you an idea how to start trouble shooting. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2007
  20. Easy BCD and Vista Boot Pro both work on all flavors of XP and all flavors
    of Vista, x86 and x64. It is not complicated to install so you may be
    making more out of this than you need to. It is just an editor with a GUI
    for convenience. It is not a boot manager or anything that requires any
    special installation procedures. It can be run equally well from either XP
    or Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 28, 2007