Boot problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gordon, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Hi
    My Brothers PC started was fine until about 3 months ago, then once in
    a while it started to take about 3 to 5 mins to boot. this has got worse
    over time and now it's every other boot.

    Its running Windows XP SP2, AMD 3200, 1.5 gig mem, NVIDIA 9800 graphics
    card. onboard sound card

    I have enabled Boot logging and read thru google which says this file is
    kept as ntbtlog, which he has mailed me and to be honest it doesn't make a
    great deal sense to me.
    Can anyone help, I would post this file but its pretty big.

    We have re-installed all his drivers, updated, rolled back etc nothing makes
    a lot of difference.

    Any help would be great

    Thanks

    Gordon

    Gordon, Aug 27, 2006

  2. Gordon

    Pete A Guest

    Have you run "msconfig" to see what's loading at start-up?

    Pete A, Aug 27, 2006

  3. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    I have done the msconfig, it doesn't make a difference, I have stopped
    everything apart from the Anti-virus, it still takes its time. everything is
    fine until the windows logo and the little blue bar, then it halts for a few
    mins, then loads fine and run great.

    I don't know what else to try

    thanks

    Gordon, Aug 27, 2006
  4. Gordon

    Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote:

    >I have enabled Boot logging and read thru google which says this file is
    >kept as ntbtlog, which he has mailed me and to be honest it doesn't make a
    >great deal sense to me.
    >Can anyone help, I would post this file but its pretty big.

    No reason to post it, it shows nothing but success and failures of
    files loaded and means nothing. -Note: Failures to load files in
    NTBTlog.txt means nothing.

    Under 98 you could tell a lot and it was actually useful.

    --
    Board Dots
    http://www.boredmuch.com/view.php?id=764

    , Aug 27, 2006
  5. Gordon

    Tony Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have enabled Boot logging and read thru google which says this file is
    >>kept as ntbtlog, which he has mailed me and to be honest it doesn't make a
    >>great deal sense to me.
    >>Can anyone help, I would post this file but its pretty big.

    > No reason to post it, it shows nothing but success and failures of
    > files loaded and means nothing. -Note: Failures to load files in
    > NTBTlog.txt means nothing.
    >
    > Under 98 you could tell a lot and it was actually useful.

    Have you tried using the disk defragmenter, it usually works
    for me.

    Tony, Aug 27, 2006
  6. Gordon

    Plato Guest

    Free space left on C:?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 28, 2006
  7. Gordon

    ProfGene Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Hi
    > My Brothers PC started was fine until about 3 months ago, then once in
    > a while it started to take about 3 to 5 mins to boot. this has got worse
    > over time and now it's every other boot.
    >
    > Its running Windows XP SP2, AMD 3200, 1.5 gig mem, NVIDIA 9800 graphics
    > card. onboard sound card
    >
    > I have enabled Boot logging and read thru google which says this file is
    > kept as ntbtlog, which he has mailed me and to be honest it doesn't make a
    > great deal sense to me.
    > Can anyone help, I would post this file but its pretty big.
    >
    > We have re-installed all his drivers, updated, rolled back etc nothing makes
    > a lot of difference.
    >
    > Any help would be great
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    Get an anti-spy program like Spybot and run it frequently. Always clean
    out the cookies and the temp internet files and the history. Run a
    registry cleaning program and a virus program. If you don't have a
    firewall get one. Use Firfox rather than Internet Explorer and
    Thunderbird or another mail program other than Outlook Express. Take as
    many things out of the starup by running Msconfig as you can as this
    slows the boot down quite a bit when it is initializing chat programs
    and other programs on boot. Try to have nothing that is in the startup
    other than the system programs. Scandisk and defrag often and if you
    have XP let it run the disk checking program.

    ProfGene, Aug 28, 2006
  8. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Hi
    Thanks for all the help so far, a few things to mention. My brother uses
    the PC for accounts and to talk to his Daughter in New Zealand, apart from
    that he doesn't play games, use any sort of mega software, it's for simple
    stuff......the hard drive is 200gig and about 10% of it is used, we've
    defragged although the program said the drive did not need it, check disk
    flew thru and found no errors, he has ad-aware and spy bot both up to date
    and show nothing. AVG antivirus up to date and showing nothing.

    I'm thinking as its all new stuff maybe the mother board may be at fault or
    atleast the BIOS.

    he started it 5 times in a row yesterday and 3 times it took around 3 to 4
    mins and the other two it loaded in about 30 to 40 seconds, that's the
    problem, sometimes it's fine and sometimes not, I just don't get it.

    anyway thanks for your help people, if anything pops into your heads then
    please let me know....

    Gordon

    Gordon, Aug 28, 2006
  9. Gordon

    Tony Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Thanks for all the help so far, a few things to mention. My brother uses
    > the PC for accounts and to talk to his Daughter in New Zealand, apart from
    > that he doesn't play games, use any sort of mega software, it's for simple
    > stuff......the hard drive is 200gig and about 10% of it is used, we've
    > defragged although the program said the drive did not need it, check disk
    > flew thru and found no errors, he has ad-aware and spy bot both up to date
    > and show nothing. AVG antivirus up to date and showing nothing.
    >
    > I'm thinking as its all new stuff maybe the mother board may be at fault
    > or atleast the BIOS.
    >
    > he started it 5 times in a row yesterday and 3 times it took around 3 to 4
    > mins and the other two it loaded in about 30 to 40 seconds, that's the
    > problem, sometimes it's fine and sometimes not, I just don't get it.
    >
    > anyway thanks for your help people, if anything pops into your heads then
    > please let me know....
    >
    > Gordon
    >

    > "ProfGene" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> My Brothers PC started was fine until about 3 months ago, then once
    >>> in a while it started to take about 3 to 5 mins to boot. this has got
    >>> worse over time and now it's every other boot.
    >>>
    >>> Its running Windows XP SP2, AMD 3200, 1.5 gig mem, NVIDIA 9800 graphics
    >>> card. onboard sound card
    >>>
    >>> I have enabled Boot logging and read thru google which says this file is
    >>> kept as ntbtlog, which he has mailed me and to be honest it doesn't make
    >>> a great deal sense to me.
    >>> Can anyone help, I would post this file but its pretty big.
    >>>
    >>> We have re-installed all his drivers, updated, rolled back etc nothing
    >>> makes a lot of difference.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be great
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Gordon

    >> Get an anti-spy program like Spybot and run it frequently. Always clean
    >> out the cookies and the temp internet files and the history. Run a
    >> registry cleaning program and a virus program. If you don't have a
    >> firewall get one. Use Firfox rather than Internet Explorer and
    >> Thunderbird or another mail program other than Outlook Express. Take as
    >> many things out of the starup by running Msconfig as you can as this
    >> slows the boot down quite a bit when it is initializing chat programs and
    >> other programs on boot. Try to have nothing that is in the startup other
    >> than the system programs. Scandisk and defrag often and if you have XP
    >> let it run the disk checking program.

    4 minutes isn't that bad.

    Tony, Aug 28, 2006