    being used for a network or anything, just a single PC.
    --
    builder1

    =?Utf-8?B?QnVpbGRlcjE=?=, Feb 8, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QnVpbGRlcjE=?=

    Jane C Guest

    What graphics card do you have in the pc? Can you install the appropriate
    drivers for it?

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Feb 8, 2007

  3. If you have a Linux Live CD at hand, it might be usefull for you to see the
    machine boot properly - maybe you get other error messages that could reveal
    something, or just confirm that there is nothing wrong with the Hardware
    side of things.

    Are you trying to boot from a HD that you harvested from another machine?
    Are you using SATA or RAID, or perhaps both?

    Go into BIOS Setup and disable anything you are not using and that doesn't
    have anything attached.

    Like Jane says - video drivers is a first natural thought but something
    could kill it before that is being processed.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 8, 2007
  4. I have a ATI X300SE (128 RAM). I have not loaded the specific drivers for it
    yet. I was going to try and download them and install in safe mode (the only
    way the computer boots). Do you think not having the correct drivers is
    keeping the machine from booting, or it do you thin it is booting but just
    not displaying anything since there are no drivers? If this is the problem
    wouldn’t it also happen when I tried to boot in safe mode or does safe mode
    use basic windows graphics card drivers?
    --
    builder1

    =?Utf-8?B?QnVpbGRlcjE=?=, Feb 8, 2007
  5. There's a known problem with some of the ATI cards. The workaround is to
    install the latest ATI drivers in safe mode. See my blog post for all the
    details.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/08/20/ATI-Graphics-Drivers-in-Fresh-Install.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 9, 2007
  6. I think it's that old ATI problem. You remember, don't you? You go all the
    way through the install, and then when it should be going to first login, it
    goes black.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 9, 2007
  7. Ahem! Now that you mention it, but I have never had an ATI - besides nVidia,
    I really think the last one was a Diamond? (Gosh!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 9, 2007
  8. Now see, I hardly ever use nvidia. After all the problems we've had with
    their mobos, I made a decision.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 9, 2007
  9. Well, I am on the 590 chipset, and I can not complain - asside from the
    added discomfort of remembering to go through the in&un-install routine for
    every system in this multi-boot setup, which, frankly, is stupid - no, I've
    always been pleased with the function and their drivers seldom have any
    scary surprises to show. The GPU temperatures are always well in-check for
    the non-OC'ed cards. But, of course, ATI is the only competitor, it has to
    be good stuff or they would've been joining the Dino's yesterday!

    Seeing that they bedded up with AMD that is probably the way to go, but
    there really is such a thing as mental inertia!

    Tony. . .

    > Now see, I hardly ever use nvidia. After all the problems we've had with
    > their mobos, I made a decision.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Ahem! Now that you mention it, but I have never had an ATI - besides
    > > nVidia,
    > > I really think the last one was a Diamond? (Gosh!)
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Feb 9, 2007
  10. So 1) thanks everyone for the responses, they would have helped if I had
    still not been able to get the machine up and running. 2) Before I was able
    to read all the other posts I was able to get the machine up. I am still not
    quite sure what the problem was.

    If anyone is interested this is what I did and how it started: I booted in
    safe mode and installed all the drivers I could from the mobo (ASUS P5B) cd,
    this was only the network adapter and USB drivers. Once I did that I was able
    to go to MS update, but the updates would not load (my assumption is that
    this is a restriction in safe mode). Then I went to ATI and download the
    latest x64 drivers, but they also would not load when I was in Safe mode. So
    I tried to shut down and restart thinking that would make a difference, but I
    forgot to enter safe mode and it loaded the same as it has been (going
    blank). So at that point I pushed the power button to turn it off, but
    apparently did not hold it long enough. This is where the magic happened,
    after I pushed the power button the computer began to finish loading windows
    and ran normally. The best I could tell was that it went into something like
    hibernation right away before actually completing the OS load and apparently
    when I pushed the power button it woke it up. (This is just my theory).
    Anyway so I was able to go to the MS update site and bring the OS up to date
    and also load the graphics drivers. I turned the machine off and on again and
    it loaded fine. So not exactly sure if the drivers made the difference or if
    it was doing the hibernation thing all along, but so far its up and running
    stable. Hope this helps someone in the future.

    --
    builder1

    =?Utf-8?B?QnVpbGRlcjE=?=, Feb 9, 2007
  11. Now, that is good news! I won't speculate about what the power button was up
    to, except to say that there is difference between a Warm-Boot and a
    Cold-Boot. Although accepted theory is saying that a clean memory is a clean
    memory - so, shouldn't make any difference, I've seen it before - plus I
    always thought there was a good idea behind the reason the machine
    Cold-Boots after you leave BIOS Setup!

    The real fix, though, surely was the drivers, as Charlie said it has been
    seen before.

    Whatever - this is what it's all about. A running machine!

    Tony. . .

    "Builder1" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > --
    > builder1
    >

    > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I am on the 590 chipset, and I can not complain - asside from the
    > > added discomfort of remembering to go through the in&un-install routine

    for
    > > every system in this multi-boot setup, which, frankly, is stupid - no,

    I've
    > > always been pleased with the function and their drivers seldom have any
    > > scary surprises to show. The GPU temperatures are always well in-check

    for
    > > the non-OC'ed cards. But, of course, ATI is the only competitor, it has

    > > be good stuff or they would've been joining the Dino's yesterday!
    > >
    > > Seeing that they bedded up with AMD that is probably the way to go, but
    > > there really is such a thing as mental inertia!

    message

    Tony Sperling, Feb 9, 2007