Boot problems and continues restarts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Art, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Art

    Art Guest

    I am trying to help my friend with his computer. Here is what happens:
    When I got it the system kept on restarting continuesly by itself
    right after memory check. It beeps once on every restart. I thought it
    was overheating so I checked the fans and temperatures in BIOs but
    found nothing abnormal. I also updated BIOS.
    I tried disconnecting completly the HD and it wasn't restarting but it
    can only boot from a floppy. After disconnecting the HD I managed to
    start up from Win XP Cd (secondary IDE) but couldn't continue with
    installation because no hard drive was connected. When I connect back
    the Hd it restarts like before.

    I got new Hd and try to install it but now something weird is
    happening with CD-ROM. I cannot boot anymore from CD. When I restart
    from a disk (with Cd drivers on it) it boots into DOS. I chenge drive
    to CD_ROM and it is still fine but the moment I put any Cd in the
    CD-ROM the screen goes black and system just freezes up. I have to
    hard restart.

    Could this be the IDe controller? I tried switching cables from
    Primary to Secondary and putting both HD and CD-ROM on 1 chain but Cd
    keeps freezing the system.
    I also tried connecting only the old HD but it just restarts. I can
    see contents of old HD in DOS if I start with floppy.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Arthur
    Art, Dec 23, 2004

  2. Art

    __ Guest

    the problem is most likely win xp.try hiting f8 have memory check and pick
    safe mode.if it still restarts than the partion is probley fucked you may
    have to re-install win xp

    there may be a conflicked with the cd-rom and hd.If they are on the same
    cable make sure that they are not both on the same setting
    (e.g.mater,salve,cable select)

    my suggesion is not to have the cd-rom and HD on the same cable if you can
    avoid it
    __, Dec 24, 2004