    this? (Note: I've tried hitting the "F" buttons when it is frozen,
    and they do not respond).

    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    AmyRF914, Dec 24, 2006

  2. AmyRF914 wrote:

    > My laptop, working off a docking station, suddenly doesn't boot up
    > completely. When I power it up (off the docking station) it gets
    > almost fully loaded through the initial screen then freezes. If I
    > power it off through the docking station and power up again, it loads
    > fully and goes to the Windows screen. One thing that did change
    > recently is that my husband added an external hard drive for backups.
    > Is this what is causing this load problem? And if so, how do I fix
    > this? (Note: I've tried hitting the "F" buttons when it is frozen,
    > and they do not respond).

    How is the external hd connected to the laptop? Usually you can pull the usb
    plug until the laptop has booted completely, then attach the external
    drive.
    Have a look at management - event viewer as well.
    You may want to change the driveletter for the external drive with
    management - disk management, once it is attached. There could be a
    conflict with one of your existing (partition) driveletters.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 25, 2006