    The pc is an intel celeron 2.4 running xp home.
    Any ideas?
    TIA

    L.Hatherall, Dec 12, 2005

  2. L.Hatherall wrote:

    > I'm having problems booting up a emachines 410 pc.
    > It has a pheonix bios which gives no beep at startup.
    > It wont boot into safe mode When i press the spacebar it will only give a
    > Load Profile 1 option.

    Which operating system? Usually bios setup screen is available after
    pressing some Function key or the del ... so the "profile 1" is probably
    your OS (XP) wanting a hardware profile. You should try F8 instead and then
    select "safe mode" from the list.

    > When the pc boots it hang as it trys to load the background programs when
    > the desktop screen appears.
    > The pc is an intel celeron 2.4 running xp home.
    > Any ideas?

    Make sure the hardware works ok by booting some liveCD like knoppix.
    Try to get into "safe mode" on XP or whatever OS you have.
    Depending on the OS, there are different procedures to get rid of the most
    annoying malware, then save your important data and rebuild (it's almost
    always simpler and faster to rebuild from image, than to try disinfect al
    viruses, malware, rootkits and spyware.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 12, 2005