Boot Order query

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MZB, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.

    I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:

    1) Diskette drive (but I have none)

    2) Internal Hard Drive

    3) External USB Hard Drive

    4) CD/DVD Combo Drive

    So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
    sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??

    In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.

    Am I missing something here?

    Mel
    MZB, Jul 17, 2006

  2. MZB

    Mike Easter Guest

    MZB wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >
    > I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
    >
    > 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)

    Change that then.

    > 2) Internal Hard Drive

    Good.

    > 3) External USB Hard Drive

    That can be a useful feature if needed, otherwise not.

    > 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive

    Sometimes you are going to want that first.

    > So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it
    > make sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one
    > checked??

    If you are planning on booting from the CD, that is a good time to have
    the CD first. Otherwise for everyday work/boot you would like for the
    boot order to represent what you want to boot from, ie the hdd, not the
    floppy you don't have, not the USB you aren't using, etc.

    > In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.

    You can have the hdd first normally and change the boot order any time
    you need to do things differently. No need to have some oddball
    bootorder working all the time. Why have a non-existent floppy and
    not-used USB in front of the hdd?

    > Am I missing something here?

    Select a good boot order for your everyday life. If you need to put the
    CD first at some time, do it then.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 17, 2006

  3. MZB

    Rick Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >
    > I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
    >
    > 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
    >
    > 2) Internal Hard Drive
    >
    > 3) External USB Hard Drive
    >
    > 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
    >
    > So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
    > sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??
    >
    > In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
    >
    > Am I missing something here?
    >

    > Mel

    If the hard drive crashes it should move on then to boot from CD, but you
    can change your boot sequence at any time. I prefer not to have my CD as
    1st boot since if I leave a bootable CD in the drive it will want to boot on
    it first
    but it's all a personal preference since it can be changed at any time.
    I would set it to boot 1. hard drive 2. CD
    Rick, Jul 17, 2006
  4. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Mike and Rick:

    My concern is this: in the event of a crash, would I still be able to access
    the CMOS, change the boot order, and then boot from the CD?? If so, then
    I'll just put the HDD first and the CD 2nd

    Mel

    MZB, Jul 17, 2006
  5. MZB

    Mike Easter Guest

    MZB wrote:

    > My concern is this: in the event of a crash, would I still be able to
    > access the CMOS, change the boot order, and then boot from the CD??

    Yes -- if what you mean by 'a crash' is the 'failure' of the hdd or the
    failure of the OS of the boot sector to boot. There are many different
    strategies to maintaining redundancy and recoverability. Partitioning
    the drive for more than one OS even if the partitions are the same OS,
    having more than one hdd.

    > If so, then I'll just put the HDD first and the CD 2nd

    OK.

    Currently your strategy is to be able to boot from the CD if the one and
    only bootable OS doesn't boot -- to try to 'tinker' with the one and
    only bootable OS's condition from the CD boot.

    That is a very useful strategy compared to having no strategy.
    Naturally that strategy would require a very decent backup of any kind
    of data you can't afford to lose - eg if the hdd or its controller just
    'died', or if the partition's files were destroyed by some malware or
    such.

    Preparation for recovery is a good idea. A recovery CD is one little
    strategy.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 17, 2006
  6. "Rick" <> wrote in message

    > "MZB" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >>
    >> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
    >>
    >> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
    >>
    >> 2) Internal Hard Drive
    >>
    >> 3) External USB Hard Drive
    >>
    >> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
    >>
    >> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
    >> sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??
    >>
    >> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something here?
    >>

    >> Mel
    >>

    > If the hard drive crashes it should move on then to boot from CD, but you
    > can change your boot sequence at any time. I prefer not to have my CD as
    > 1st boot since if I leave a bootable CD in the drive it will want to boot
    > on it first
    > but it's all a personal preference since it can be changed at any time.
    > I would set it to boot 1. hard drive 2. CD

    Yes, moving floppy and CD bootup after HDD and then password locking the
    BIOS is also good for data security, or to stop user's from taking control
    of admin accounts on networks.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 17, 2006
  7. MZB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    MZB wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >
    > I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
    >
    > 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
    >
    > 2) Internal Hard Drive
    >
    > 3) External USB Hard Drive
    >
    > 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
    >
    > So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it
    > make sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one
    > checked??
    > In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
    >
    > Am I missing something here?
    >

    > Mel

    One other piece of advice besides what's already been given: unless you are
    running on OS other than Windows, disable that "external USB hard drive"
    boot option, because Windows won't run from a USB drive.

    Personally, I put the CD/DVD as the first boot device, then the hard drive
    as the second. That way, if I need to boot from CD, I just pop it in and
    restart. (I don't have a tendency to leave CDs in the drive, else that might
    cause issues sometimes.)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 17, 2006
  8. MZB

    ProfGene Guest

    MZB wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >
    > I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
    >
    > 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
    >
    > 2) Internal Hard Drive
    >
    > 3) External USB Hard Drive
    >
    > 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
    >
    > So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
    > sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??
    >
    > In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
    >
    > Am I missing something here?
    >

    > Mel

    If you need the bootable disk because the computer is not booting it
    will probably go to it with the order you have now. You might as well
    delete the floppy option since you don't have one. If you make the CDrom
    drive the first boot option it will check out whatever disk you have in
    there before booting to the HDD which doesn't take long but is unnecssisary.
    ProfGene, Jul 18, 2006
  9. MZB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:09:09 -0600, ProfGene <> wrote:
    >
    >> MZB wrote:
    >>> I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >>>
    >>> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
    >>>
    >>> 2) Internal Hard Drive
    >>>
    >>> 3) External USB Hard Drive
    >>>
    >>> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
    >>>
    >>> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would
    >>> it make sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first
    >>> one checked??
    >>>
    >>> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something here?
    >>>

    >>> Mel
    >>>

    >> If you need the bootable disk because the computer is not booting it
    >> will probably go to it with the order you have now.

    > No, it won't. It will boot from the hard drive first. MZB said they
    > had a backup bootable *CD.* Can't you read?

    Correct. And if the HD is not functioning correctly, it will NOT move on to
    the CD/DVD automatically. It only does that if the HD is totally not found.
    In my experience, if the BIOS recognises the drive, but can't boot from it,
    most systems stop there.

    >> You might as well
    >> delete the floppy option since you don't have one. If you make the
    >> CDrom drive the first boot option it will check out whatever disk
    >> you have in there before booting to the HDD which doesn't take long
    >> but is unnecssisary.

    > Unnecessary, if she's actually trying to boot from the cd?! <BOGGLE!>

    <snip>

    Perhaps you should be more specific about which side of the teacher's desk
    to sit at <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2006
  10. MZB

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-18, Mara <> wrote:

    > Maybe I should whip up a quick computer IQ test myself.
    >
    > Me: "What does a cd-rw drive do?"

    It depends on what the software tells it to do. Sometimes it reads,
    sometimes it writes, sometimes it sings rw,rw,rw your boat... :)

    > Test taker: "Uh...."

    Test Taker:"Is that the same as a DVD?"

    > /me locks and loads

    //Me...ducks for cover

    > *BLAM!*

    Damn, forgot the earplugs!

    > Ooh yes, I think I could learn to enjoy that, with a big enough gun.
    >
    > People do stupid things sometimes - we all do, every one of us. But ProfGene has
    > made it into a calling.

    It's his "vocation".

    > "He hasn't yet learned that being good at being stupid doesn't count for a
    > damned thing."

    Sorta bad at being stupid, IMO.

    --
    You'll never see all the places, or read all the books,
    but fortunately, they're not all recommended.
    Jimchip, Jul 18, 2006
  11. MZB

    Margolotta Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:42:47 +0100, Mara wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:09:09 -0600, ProfGene <> wrote:
    >
    >> MZB wrote:
    >>> I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >>>
    >>> I went into the settings and found the boot order listed is:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Diskette drive (but I have none)
    >>>
    >>> 2) Internal Hard Drive
    >>>
    >>> 3) External USB Hard Drive
    >>>
    >>> 4) CD/DVD Combo Drive
    >>>
    >>> So, my question. If I have an emergency backup bootable CD, would it make
    >>> sense to change the order so that the CD drive is the first one checked??
    >>>
    >>> In this way, if the HD crashed, I could boot from the CD.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something here?
    >>>

    >>> Mel
    >>>

    >> If you need the bootable disk because the computer is not booting it
    >> will probably go to it with the order you have now.

    > No, it won't. It will boot from the hard drive first. MZB said they had a
    > backup
    > bootable *CD.* Can't you read?
    >
    >> You might as well
    >> delete the floppy option since you don't have one. If you make the CDrom
    >> drive the first boot option it will check out whatever disk you have in
    >> there before booting to the HDD which doesn't take long but is unnecssisary.

    > Unnecessary, if she's actually trying to boot from the cd?! <BOGGLE!>

    How do you know the OP's female? Because they're called 'Mel'? Never heard of
    Mel Brooks, or Mel Smith, in whatever alternate reality you inhabit?

    Would you also assume that someone called 'Terry' was male? What about
    'Tony'? Or 'Nick'.

    You're making an assumption, Mara, something you claim you never do.
    Margolotta, Jul 18, 2006
  12. Margolotta <> said in

    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:42:47 +0100, Mara wrote
    > (in article <>):

    >>> If you need the bootable disk because the computer is not booting it
    >>> will probably go to it with the order you have now.

    >> No, it won't. It will boot from the hard drive first. MZB said they
    >> had a backup
    >> bootable *CD.* Can't you read?
    >>
    >>> You might as well
    >>> delete the floppy option since you don't have one. If you make the
    >>> CDrom drive the first boot option it will check out whatever disk
    >>> you have in there before booting to the HDD which doesn't take long
    >>> but is unnecssisary.

    >> Unnecessary, if she's actually trying to boot from the cd?! <BOGGLE!>

    > How do you know the OP's female? Because they're called 'Mel'? Never
    > heard of Mel Brooks, or Mel Smith, in whatever alternate reality you
    > inhabit?
    >
    > Would you also assume that someone called 'Terry' was male? What about
    > 'Tony'? Or 'Nick'.
    >
    > You're making an assumption, Mara, something you claim you never do.

    Mara, dreary, is it just me or is it all you ever do is constantly
    bitch? Are you some kind of permanent PMS woman or is it a change of
    life thing?

    <giggle>

    Rectum Burrrrn
    Rectum Burrrn, Jul 18, 2006
  13. It was on Tuesday 18 July 2006 3:22 am, that Mara apparently said:

    <snips>

    > Maybe I should whip up a quick computer IQ test myself.
    >
    > Me: "What does a cd-rw drive do?"
    >
    > Test taker: "Uh...."
    >
    > /me locks and loads
    >
    > *BLAM!*
    >
    > Ooh yes, I think I could learn to enjoy that, with a big enough gun.

    How 'bout this?
    http://user.mc.net/~hawk/biggun.htm

    --
    Disk full - remove Windows?
    Y - Yes!
    William Poaster, Jul 18, 2006
  14. MZB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    William Poaster wrote:
    > It was on Tuesday 18 July 2006 3:22 am, that Mara apparently said:
    >
    > <snips>
    >
    >> Maybe I should whip up a quick computer IQ test myself.
    >>
    >> Me: "What does a cd-rw drive do?"
    >>
    >> Test taker: "Uh...."
    >>
    >> /me locks and loads
    >>
    >> *BLAM!*
    >>
    >> Ooh yes, I think I could learn to enjoy that, with a big enough gun.

    > How 'bout this?
    > http://user.mc.net/~hawk/biggun.htm

    Damn! I think you could hit Delaware from Texas with that thing. The second
    shot would miss though, because Delaware didn't EXIST anymore <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2006