    boots successfully in other machines. How can I get this laptop to
    successfully boot from CD?

    Thanks!
    Mike T., Dec 2, 2004

  2. "Mike T." <> wrote ...
    > I have a Medion laptop with Phoenix BIOS version A.0EP-59D5-0812. I'm

    trying
    > to set it up to boot from the CD/DVD drive. The BIOS sees the drive

    without
    > a problem. However, when I try to put the CD drive first in the boot

    order,
    > it does not succeed. I have 3 items in the boot list: CD-ROM, Removable
    > Device, and Hard Drive (in that order). Only the hard drive has a + sign
    > next to it, meaning that this device will be booted. I can't get a + sign

    in
    > front of the CD-ROM. I've had no luck with the space bar (as I have
    > successfully done with other BIOSs) or any other key. The CD I want to use
    > boots successfully in other machines. How can I get this laptop to
    > successfully boot from CD?

    I normally use + and - keys to set boot order in BIOS. Need to use use Shift
    + as + is a secondary key and = is the primary one.
    Use.Netuser.de, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Mike T.

    philo Guest

    "Mike T." <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Medion laptop with Phoenix BIOS version A.0EP-59D5-0812. I'm

    trying
    > to set it up to boot from the CD/DVD drive. The BIOS sees the drive

    without
    > a problem. However, when I try to put the CD drive first in the boot

    order,
    > it does not succeed. I have 3 items in the boot list: CD-ROM, Removable
    > Device, and Hard Drive (in that order). Only the hard drive has a + sign
    > next to it, meaning that this device will be booted. I can't get a + sign

    in
    > front of the CD-ROM. I've had no luck with the space bar (as I have
    > successfully done with other BIOSs) or any other key. The CD I want to use
    > boots successfully in other machines. How can I get this laptop to
    > successfully boot from CD?
    >
    > Thanks!

    somewhere in there,
    the bios should give you a clue...

    possibilites that i know of, other than the space bar are:

    page up /page down

    - / +

    or just hit "enter" rather than the space bar
    philo, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Mike T.

    °Mike° Guest

    Try the "Page UP" and "Page Down" keys.

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:27:56 +0100, in
    <>
    Mike T. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Thanks for the answers, all. I think I've found the problem. It appears that
    the manufacturer locks the BIOS in order to prevent people from using
    pirated OSs. The OEM disks are bound to the BIOS. I'll have to get the
    manufacturer on the phone, since I'm not trying to install a pirated
    OS...I'm trying to install Linux. Bastards.

    --
    Mike T
    Spiffy sig currently under development.
    Mike T., Dec 3, 2004
  6. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Here's more on the boot order situation:

    After being on the phone with Medion support, I was advised to find and
    attempt to boot with the "Application & Support CD" that came with the
    laptop. It's the recovery CD. I was able to boot successfully with this CD.
    I didn't pursue this avenue further since doing so would flush and restore
    everything. I can not, however, boot to any other CD, including an XP full
    version CD or a SuSE Linux install CD. Both of these CDs boot successfully
    on my other machines.

    I was then advised to download a BIOS update from the Medion website and
    make a bootable CD with Nero. I proceeded to do this, using WinImage to make
    the .IMA file needed by Nero. I attempted to boot with this CD, but again no
    luck.

    As far as being in the BIOS setup, in the area where I can select the boot
    order, I can navigate up and down and reorder the items. However, only the
    Boot From Hard Disk option has a plus sign next to it, meaning that the
    system should look there. Neither of the other two options has this plus
    sign. I have attempted to select the CD drive and the external device by
    using the space bar (as is the case with other BIOSes on my other mobos;
    however, all I get is a beep. Attempting with other keys does nothing.

    Does anyone have any other options? It's pissing me off that the only CD I
    can boot from is the manufacturer's recovery CD. It's my computer, I should
    be able to do whatever I want with it. Cell phone makers are in the same
    boat.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike T., Dec 4, 2004