boot.ini

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kamil, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Kamil

    Kamil Guest

    i dont know why i did this but i did. I installed windos 2000 advanced
    server on one of my computer's D: drive (a second physical disk) while i had
    98 on the C: drive. i found out that 2000 did not want to boot so i just
    formatted the d drive but i still got the menu to chose which OS i want to
    boot. so i deleted the boot.ini file thinking that it will try yo boot from
    the C: drive... well it does but it want to boot from c:\winnt but my C:
    drive was the one with windows 98 and its still there... it also says:
    "Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt: <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

    I want to get my 98 back, I dont care about 2000 anymore, what should i make
    the boot.ini file look like? this is what I made it now and it doesn't work:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=mulit(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    default=mulit(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98"

    here is the setup of my drives:
    they are both IDE drives
    C: has win 98
    D: is blank
    the physical drives only have 1 partition that takes the whole drive space

    thanks

    Kamil, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Maybe something here:
    http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/dual/removedualboot.shtml
    It helped me after a failed install left me with 2 XP's in boot menu!

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny Cargill, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Kamil

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Kamil" <> wrote in

    > I want to get my 98 back, I dont care about 2000 anymore, what should
    > i make the boot.ini file look like? this is what I made it now and it
    > doesn't work:

    Boot with a 9x startup disk, and type:
    fdisk /mbr

    Do it two or three times, it doesn't seem to write a new boot record every
    time for some reason.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 6, 2003