    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP PRO DISK 0"
    /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    Derek F., Aug 22, 2004

  2. Derek F.

    Billy Guest

    "Derek F." <> wrote in message
    news:cgahtb$aep$...
    > I have two hard disks in my computer and want Disk 0 to be the default

    one
    > that the system boots from on start up but the first (top) option is

    for the
    > slave Disk 1.
    > What do I need to change in my boot.ini to get Disk 0 to boot from

    without
    > my having to down arrow to manually select it.
    > TIA
    > Derek.
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP PRO DISK 1"
    > /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP PRO DISK 0"
    > /fastdetect
    > C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

    You could "unhide" and manually edit the boot.ini file, or open System
    Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery button, change the System
    Startup - Default Operating System option.
    Billy, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Derek F.

    burris Guest

    Derek F. wrote:

    > I have two hard disks in my computer and want Disk 0 to be the
    > default one that the system boots from on start up but the first
    > (top) option is for the slave Disk 1. What do I need to change in my
    > boot.ini to get Disk 0 to boot from without my having to down arrow
    > to manually select it. TIA Derek.
    >
    > [boot loader] timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating
    > systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP PRO
    > DISK 1" /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP PRO DISK 0"
    > /fastdetect C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery
    > Console" /cmdcons

    You can always cut and paste together a new boot.ini.

    I have three HDD and use XXClone for back-up to each of the other two
    and mine looks like this. It will always boot to 0 within 8 seconds, or
    whatever you set it to, unless I choose another within that time frame.

    [Boot Loader]
    timeout=8
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="XXCLONE: Windows (Original
    Vol.) [d:0,p:1] \windows" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\windows="XXCLONE: Windows (Target
    Volume) [d:1,p:1] \windows" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\windows="XXCLONE: Windows (Target
    Volume) [d:2,p:1] \windows" /fastdetect

    burris
    burris, Aug 22, 2004