    --
    EMail address is disposable and never checked.
    Registered Linux user #439066.
    Paul Blarmy, May 30, 2007

  2. Paul Blarmy

    meerkat Guest

    "Paul Blarmy" <> wrote in message
    news:MPG.20c736fe8b92520e989932@62.253.170.163...
    >I have ordered a USB enclosure caddy to take a spare hard drive. Is it
    > possible to use this USB caddy as a bootable device? Can't see an option
    > in the BIOS for this - I would like to boot up Linux from it on a
    > friends Windows PC as it would then demonstrate Linux much faster than
    > by using a LiveCD.

    Only if the BIOS allows booting from a USB device.
    I can boot from a USB stick, because my BIOS allows
    for that.

    bw..
    meerkat, May 30, 2007

  3. Paul Blarmy

    Robb Guest

    Paul Blarmy wrote:

    >I have ordered a USB enclosure caddy to take a spare hard drive. Is it
    >possible to use this USB caddy as a bootable device? Can't see an option
    >in the BIOS for this

    Check for an LS/Zip option. I ran across a few BIOS's that booted from
    a USB stick with it set.

    >I would like to boot up Linux from it on a friends Windows PC as it would
    >then demonstrate Linux much faster than by using a LiveCD.

    If it's copying it to a ram-drive the OS runs in memory, wouldn't access
    from a CD be faster than USB anything? I've had puppyOS running for a
    while (24x7) no problems so far. It does everything I do in windows and
    I like the remaster CD <or> save session to the hard-drive. Should stick
    a webserver, ftp, or something on it to give it some work besides sitting
    there playing DVD's. It is amazingly fast. :)

    --
    Robb
    Robb, May 30, 2007