BOOT FROM ATAPI CD-ROM. FAILURE TO BOOT.INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by J.R.F160@gmail.com, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    HI I'M HOPING THAT SOMEONE CAN HELP ME. THIS IS AN OLDER COMPUTER WITH
    AN AOPEN MOTHERBOARD AX342 II. I HAS AN ACER 40X MAX CD-ROM DRIVE AND A
    FLOPPY DISK DRIVE ALSO. I CAN ACCESS SYSTEM SETUP BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT
    THE HELL I'M DOING. IT WAS GIVENTO ME FROM A HIGH SCHOOL, THEY HAD TO
    WIPE IT CLEAN, SO I KNOW I NEED AN OS. IT WILL HAVE TO BE A FREE ONE.
    SO ADVICE ON WHICH ONE TO USE COULD BE HELPFUL ALSO. IM ABLE TO BURN
    CDS ON MY OTHER COMPUTER, BUT IT HAS NO FLOPPY DRIVE.

    THIS IS ALL THE INFO I HAVE:
    AWARD MODULAR BIOS V6.00PG
    DISK DRIVE A: 1.44M. 3.5IN
    DISK B: NONE
    PRIMARY MASTER: NONE
    PRIMARY SLAVE: LBA,ATA 100, 20021M
    SECONDARY MASTER: CD ROM ATA 33
    SEC SLAVE: NONE
    DISPLAY TYPE: EGA/VGA
    SERIAL PORTS: 3F8 2F8
    PARR PORTS: 378
    INTEL PENTIUM III, CELERON, VIA C3 CPU, 133 MHZ

    ANYONE WILLING TO HELP ME?
    , Sep 14, 2006

  2. Dan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > HI I'M HOPING THAT SOMEONE CAN HELP ME. THIS IS AN OLDER COMPUTER WITH
    > AN AOPEN MOTHERBOARD AX342 II. I HAS AN ACER 40X MAX CD-ROM DRIVE AND A
    > FLOPPY DISK DRIVE ALSO. I CAN ACCESS SYSTEM SETUP BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT
    > THE HELL I'M DOING. IT WAS GIVENTO ME FROM A HIGH SCHOOL, THEY HAD TO
    > WIPE IT CLEAN, SO I KNOW I NEED AN OS. IT WILL HAVE TO BE A FREE ONE.
    > SO ADVICE ON WHICH ONE TO USE COULD BE HELPFUL ALSO. IM ABLE TO BURN
    > CDS ON MY OTHER COMPUTER, BUT IT HAS NO FLOPPY DRIVE.
    >
    > THIS IS ALL THE INFO I HAVE:
    > AWARD MODULAR BIOS V6.00PG
    > DISK DRIVE A: 1.44M. 3.5IN
    > DISK B: NONE
    > PRIMARY MASTER: NONE
    > PRIMARY SLAVE: LBA,ATA 100, 20021M
    > SECONDARY MASTER: CD ROM ATA 33
    > SEC SLAVE: NONE
    > DISPLAY TYPE: EGA/VGA
    > SERIAL PORTS: 3F8 2F8
    > PARR PORTS: 378
    > INTEL PENTIUM III, CELERON, VIA C3 CPU, 133 MHZ
    >
    > ANYONE WILLING TO HELP ME?

    not likely, your shouting got you somwhere between nowhere and nowhere.
    Dan, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Kluck Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:26:53 +0000, Dan wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> HI I'M HOPING THAT SOMEONE CAN HELP ME. THIS IS AN OLDER COMPUTER WITH
    >> AN AOPEN MOTHERBOARD AX342 II. I HAS AN ACER 40X MAX CD-ROM DRIVE AND A
    >> FLOPPY DISK DRIVE ALSO. I CAN ACCESS SYSTEM SETUP BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT
    >> THE HELL I'M DOING. IT WAS GIVENTO ME FROM A HIGH SCHOOL, THEY HAD TO
    >> WIPE IT CLEAN, SO I KNOW I NEED AN OS. IT WILL HAVE TO BE A FREE ONE. SO
    >> ADVICE ON WHICH ONE TO USE COULD BE HELPFUL ALSO. IM ABLE TO BURN CDS ON
    >> MY OTHER COMPUTER, BUT IT HAS NO FLOPPY DRIVE.
    >>
    >> THIS IS ALL THE INFO I HAVE:
    >> AWARD MODULAR BIOS V6.00PG
    >> DISK DRIVE A: 1.44M. 3.5IN
    >> DISK B: NONE
    >> PRIMARY MASTER: NONE
    >> PRIMARY SLAVE: LBA,ATA 100, 20021M
    >> SECONDARY MASTER: CD ROM ATA 33
    >> SEC SLAVE: NONE
    >> DISPLAY TYPE: EGA/VGA
    >> SERIAL PORTS: 3F8 2F8
    >> PARR PORTS: 378
    >> INTEL PENTIUM III, CELERON, VIA C3 CPU, 133 MHZ
    >>
    >> ANYONE WILLING TO HELP ME?
    >>

    > not likely, your shouting got you somwhere between nowhere and nowhere.

    Some people especially those new to usenet type in caps not to shout but
    rather they don't know the etiquette.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Kluck, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Guest

    failure to boot from atapi cd rom. please insert system disk?????

    > > hi sorry but i wasnt aware that typing in caps was offensive please excuse thta im new to all of this. if anyone can help i would realy be greatful. this is an aopen motherboard ax342 II i can get into setup but dont know what im doing. i need new free os, advice on which one would be cool.> >
    > >
    > > award modular bios v6,
    > > disk drive a: 1.44M. 3.5IN
    > > disk b none
    > > primary master none
    > > pprimary slave LBA,ATA 100, 20021M
    > > secondary master ATA 33
    > > sec slave none
    > > display type EGA/VGA
    > > serial ports: 3F8 2F8
    > > parr ports: 378
    > > intel penium III,celeron, VIA C3 CPU, 133 MHZ

    can someone please direct me on what to do

  5. wrote:

    > HI I'M HOPING THAT SOMEONE CAN HELP ME. THIS IS AN OLDER COMPUTER WITH

    ...a broken keyboard.

    http://www.ubuntu.com/

    > SO ADVICE ON WHICH ONE TO USE COULD BE HELPFUL ALSO. IM ABLE TO BURN
    > CDS ON MY OTHER COMPUTER, BUT IT HAS NO FLOPPY DRIVE.

    Ubuntu is a 700MB download, so if you don't have broadband, find a
    friend who does, and who can burn .iso files.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 14, 2006
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    Re: failure to boot from atapi cd rom. please insert system disk?????

    wrote:
    >>> hi sorry but i wasnt aware that typing in caps was offensive please
    >>> excuse thta im new to all of this. if anyone can help i would
    >>> realy be greatful. this is an aopen motherboard ax342 II

    I'm not familiar with that mobo. Nothing at aopen. Searching the ng
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen I'm finding an old post about a AX34Pro
    II

    So then from there I found a pretty extensive review from 2000 Nov which
    has a lot of spec information and you should find very helpful
    http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/motherboards/aopen/ax34pro2/index.shtml
    AOpen's AX34 Pro II Socket370 mainboard

    >>> i can get
    >>> into setup but dont know what im doing. i need new free os, advice
    >>> on which one would be cool.

    From the POST setup page you should be able to find out how much ram and
    what your cpu speed is, because that can have an effect on which
    operating system setup is going to work out. This is going to be a very
    old and slow machine, so the ram situation will have to be taken into
    consideration.

    What you are going to be doing is either using a lightweight linux
    distro that you will have to get a CD for somehow, or perhaps
    'borrowing' someone's Win98 install disk.

    If you are into ethics and morality, the borrowing should be temporary
    until you can buy your own license for that antiquated unsupported OS.
    The problem with buying a Win2K which is supported is that it is more
    demanding of resources, whereas you can use something like a lite Win98
    and use less resources with a graphical machine than with a linux
    version which is using bloated Xwin graphics.

    If I were going to do it with Ubuntu, I would use one of the lighter
    versions, such as Xubuntu^1, but there are many other linux versions
    which emphasize older low resource hardware.

    ^1 http://www.xubuntu.org/ Xubuntu is a complete GNU/Linux based system
    with an Ubuntu base. It's lighter, and more efficient than Ubuntu with
    GNOME or KDE, since it uses the Xfce Desktop environment, which makes it
    ideal for old or low-end machines, as well as thin-client networks.

    The reason I'm thinking about Win98 is because I suspect it would be
    easier with the old hardware to get something up and running. Then you
    would have some resources to use to explore and investigate a linux
    version which you could own instead of borrowing or stealing the license
    for.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 14, 2006
  7. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > The reason I'm thinking about Win98 is because I suspect it would be
    > easier with the old hardware to get something up and running. Then
    > you would have some resources to use to explore and investigate a
    > linux version which you could own instead of borrowing or stealing
    > the license for.

    OTOH, maybe you already have some resources. You are currently
    accessing this ng with googlegroups and charter.com connectivity, so you
    have access to some kind of computer and connectivity.

    If you currently have access to 'someone's' operating system disk/s, it
    would be useful to know what they are, if they have something light
    enough to borrow to install. If you are using someone's computer, then
    it might have CD iso downloading and burning capabilities. That would
    give you easier access to linux CDs than having to order them by mail.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 14, 2006
  8. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > AOpen's AX34 Pro II Socket370 mainboard

    Now I'm getting myself oriented at the aopen museum and support
    structure, so I'm thinking you have one of these, probably the 2nd.

    AX34
    AX34 II
    AX34 Pro
    AX34 Pro II

    .... and I got my hands on a .pdf manual for the AX34 II

    I recommend that during the post you hit your pause or break key at just
    the right time so that you can see what the bios sees for your hardware
    so that you will know which cpu and speed and how much ram you have.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 15, 2006
  9. Mike Easter Guest

    Re: failure to boot from atapi cd rom. please insert system disk?????

    wrote:
    Subject: BOOT FROM ATAPI CD-ROM. FAILURE TO BOOT.INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
    PRESS ENTER.

    Subject: failure to boot from atapi cd rom. please insert system
    disk?????

    Would you care to put those subjects into some kind of context?

    What is on that CD? Obviously it isn't bootable, but maybe it has
    something useful on it.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 15, 2006
  10. Mary Cohen Guest

    Many Linux distros (distributions) now have a "live" cd version. go to a
    bookstore, but a linux magazine such as linux format, many of which come
    with free distro cd's or dvd's. Mandriva one is a live fully functional that
    runs off the cd, or look at sourceforge for damn small linux (DSL).

    of course, this pc will not play the latest version of quake or doom, or
    half life, but you can make a very functional workstation that can run open
    office, do web surfing and other very useful computing needs by finding one
    of these small footprint linux versions.

    the BIOS is set to boot from cd first, and it sees no hard drive partition ,
    that is why you recieve the error code you do, you will need a boot disk to
    fdisk the partition if you do happen to "borrow" an old win98 disk.

    The Linux solutions probably offer teh best (and legal) bang for your lack
    of buck.Also the chance to learn a nice operating system without the bloat.
    Mary Cohen, Sep 15, 2006