    use by windows at the time. BIOS successfully recognizes the HD's. I also found that my
    PartitionMagic 5.0 does not work (Error 20: "The library of the partition is not open") nor can I
    boot from the PartitionMagic rescue diskettes.
    Peter Fournia, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Peter Fournia

    philo Guest

    "Peter Fournia" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After successfully installing my 30 GB Maxtor I was hoping to use my old

    HD on a second computer.
    > That requires using the same OS on both systems. I do not have a

    convenient OS to load as I have
    > upgraded from Win3.1=> Win95 => Win 98SE. I did the following using the

    MaxBlast3 sw supplied with
    > the new HD:
    > 1. erased and partitioned the old HD
    > 2. copied my boot partition onto the old HD
    > 3. tried to boot my new and old systems using the old HD
    > I get a "operating system" error when trying to boot using this old HD in

    both systems. I repeated
    > all of the above using a 3rd HD and got the same result.
    >
    > How do I copy this OS onto my second HD? Am I copying it ok? Is there

    something preventing it from
    > operating?
    >
    > There were no errors indicated when I copied the "C" partition onto this

    HD... other than 7 files in
    > use by windows at the time. BIOS successfully recognizes the HD's. I

    also found that my
    > PartitionMagic 5.0 does not work (Error 20: "The library of the partition

    is not open") nor can I
    > boot from the PartitionMagic rescue diskettes.

    try booting with a win98 floppy and then issuing the command

    sys C:

    if you get any errors post back with the exact message

    philo, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Peter Fournia

    °Mike° Guest

    If I understand you correctly, your old HD boot partition
    would have been FAT16 if you started from Win3.1, and you
    have formatted the drive as FAT32. You have then overwritten
    the MBR with the old FAT16 data.

    Can you be more specific, when you say "I do not have a
    convenient OS to load". How\where do you intend to start?

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:15:55 GMT, in
    <>
    Peter Fournia scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2003
  4. The only starting OS I have is Win3.1. I got to Win95SE via upgrade CD's, not the full version.
    Thus, to reestablish Win95SE I must install Win3.1, then Win95 upgrade, then Win98SE upgrade. I
    hoped to shortcut the process by copying the boot partition on my current Win98SE system. I assume
    that will work.

    All HD's and partitions I use are FAT32 ( I think, I better check that!).

    Peter F.

    Peter Fournia, Jul 8, 2003
  5. Peter Fournia

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Peter Fournia wrote:

    > The only starting OS I have is Win3.1. I got to Win95SE via upgrade CD's, not the full version.
    > Thus, to reestablish Win95SE I must install Win3.1, then Win95 upgrade, then Win98SE upgrade. I
    > hoped to shortcut the process by copying the boot partition on my current Win98SE system. I assume
    > that will work.
    >
    > All HD's and partitions I use are FAT32 ( I think, I better check that!).
    >
    > Peter F.

    You don't need to install all of the previous OS's. Get the system
    booted and recognizing the CD ROM drive and run SETUP on the Win98 CD.
    It will ask for a qualifying product, put the Win95 CD in the drive and
    tell it to scan. After it finds it and qualifies the OS it will tell you
    to put the Win98 CD back in the drive and continue on.
    yugsdrawkcab, Jul 8, 2003
  6. PROBLEM SOLVED!

    Thanks all for your help. Problem cause: I did not format the old drive as a boot drive! Dumb! Your
    - using the SYS C: command --- there were no errors reported
    - using the Win98SE setup CD: the message pointed to absence of a boot partition
    The MaxBLAST3 sw provided by Maxtor works very well.
    Thanks again
    Peter F.

    Peter Fournia, Jul 9, 2003