    Is it simply the case the slower drive attached to the EIDE will infact
    slow the overall performance i.e. both will run at 100?

    Thanks again :)
    Mr User, Jul 13, 2006

  2. On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:31:26 GMT, Mr User belched:

    > Is it simply the case the slower drive attached to the EIDE will infact
    > slow the overall performance i.e. both will run at 100?

    Yes.
    --
    "I like chunky custard"
    Puss in Boots, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Mr User

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    > Another question ...
    >
    > 80GB UDMA MODE5 (ULTRA ATA/100)
    > 200GB UDMA MODE6 (ULTRA ATA/133)
    >
    > Which should I use as the boot drive to boost performance?
    > Both drives will be partitioned and on the same EIDE.
    > Is it simply the case the slower drive attached to the EIDE will infact
    > slow the overall performance i.e. both will run at 100?

    Yes, the same as applies to mixing CD drives (ATA33) with Hard drives.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Mr User" <> wrote in message

    >> Which should I use as the boot drive to boost performance?
    >> Both drives will be partitioned and on the same EIDE.
    >> Is it simply the case the slower drive attached to the EIDE will infact
    >> slow the overall performance i.e. both will run at 100?

    > Yes, the same as applies to mixing CD drives (ATA33) with Hard drives.

    Muchas gracias a todo :)
    Mr User, Jul 14, 2006
  5. Howdy!

    "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    > Another question ...
    >
    > 80GB UDMA MODE5 (ULTRA ATA/100)
    > 200GB UDMA MODE6 (ULTRA ATA/133)
    >
    > Which should I use as the boot drive to boost performance?

    I'd use the smaller one so that you have less to reload when Windows
    crashes.

    > Both drives will be partitioned and on the same EIDE.
    > Is it simply the case the slower drive attached to the EIDE will infact
    > slow the overall performance i.e. both will run at 100?

    Nope. That went out before UDMA became available.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 16, 2006
  6. Mr User

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:02:42 -0500, Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    >> Another question ...
    >>
    >> 80GB UDMA MODE5 (ULTRA ATA/100)
    >> 200GB UDMA MODE6 (ULTRA ATA/133)
    >>
    >> Which should I use as the boot drive to boost performance?

    > I'd use the smaller one so that you have less to reload when
    > Windows crashes.

    Huh? What if he installs less on the bigger drive?

    --

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 17, 2006
  7. Mr User

    S.Heenan Guest

    Mr User wrote:
    > Another question ...
    >
    > 80GB UDMA MODE5 (ULTRA ATA/100)
    > 200GB UDMA MODE6 (ULTRA ATA/133)
    >
    > Which should I use as the boot drive to boost performance?
    > Both drives will be partitioned and on the same EIDE.

    > Is it simply the case the slower drive attached to the EIDE will
    > infact slow the overall performance i.e. both will run at 100?

    No.

    Don't confuse the maximum speed of the interface with the transfer rate of
    the HDD.

    Compare the specs of your hard drives, such as random access time or
    sequential transfer rates (MB/sec), then choose the faster of the two.

    A Maxtor Atlas 15K II SCSI unit can attain a sequential transfer rate of
    ~98MB/sec, a fast SATA unit at perhaps 65MB/sec; both being lower than the
    ATA100's 100MB/sec.

    If you use Windows, place the paging file on the outermost partition of the
    drive /without/ the OS.
    S.Heenan, Jul 17, 2006