Boot Disk Query

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Guest, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    Just my little two cents:

    1) the procedure you have described to create a boot
    floppy is correct and it works. I have just tried with my
    virtual machine (Windows 2003 Server running on VMWare
    Workstation 4.x). I copied NTDETECT.COM, nldr and the
    boot.ini on a freshly formatted (virtual) floppy. Then I
    proceed to delete them from the system partition and
    rebooted. If the floppy is not inserted I get the
    infamous "ntldr missing" error. If I insert the floppy and
    reset, the virtual machine boots fine.

    2) As far as I know, Windows NT/2000/2003/XP do create a
    runnable boot sector when you format a floppy. That's why
    you have to format the floppy from inside one of these
    operating systems in order for it to be bootable. If you
    just format a floppy and try to boot it (without copying
    ntldr and friends) you will get a text warning that comes
    from the floppy itself.

    Bye,

    Guest, Mar 29, 2005