    there's a CD-ROM present (in the pcmcia slot). A Windows 98 boot disk
    doesn't do it. Is there something designed for this situation?
    WC
    WCH, Apr 18, 2004

  2. WCH

    Wrinklytech Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    news:mLtgc.19540$yD1.45477@attbi_s54...
    > I bought a used Toshiba Portege 3110CT laptop (used to have one and

    loved
    > it) with no O/S. The BIOS lets you boot from a floppy, the HD or LAN,

    but
    > not a CD-ROM. This laptop is a "subnotebook", real small with

    external
    > floppy and a CD-ROM that you plug into the pcmcia slot.
    >
    > I'm looking for a boot disk that will let me install from the CD-ROM.

    The
    > boot disks I've used for older PCs don't do it as they don't read that
    > there's a CD-ROM present (in the pcmcia slot). A Windows 98 boot disk
    > doesn't do it. Is there something designed for this situation?
    > WC

    If you have the Recovery CDs, you can boot from CD 1, and then install
    either Win95 or Win98. Suggest you download the manual which covers how
    to do this.
    HTH
    Vaughan
    Wrinklytech, Apr 18, 2004

  3. WCH

    WCH Guest

    "Wrinklytech" <> wrote in message
    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > > I bought a used Toshiba Portege 3110CT laptop (used to have one and

    > loved
    > > it) with no O/S. The BIOS lets you boot from a floppy, the HD or LAN,

    > but
    > > not a CD-ROM. This laptop is a "subnotebook", real small with

    > external
    > > floppy and a CD-ROM that you plug into the pcmcia slot.
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a boot disk that will let me install from the CD-ROM.

    > The
    > > boot disks I've used for older PCs don't do it as they don't read that
    > > there's a CD-ROM present (in the pcmcia slot). A Windows 98 boot disk
    > > doesn't do it. Is there something designed for this situation?
    > > WC
    > >

    > If you have the Recovery CDs, you can boot from CD 1, and then install
    > either Win95 or Win98. Suggest you download the manual which covers how
    > to do this.
    > HTH
    > Vaughan

    I don't have the "recovery CDs". Not sure how that would help. You mean
    the laptop would read the CD-ROM drive and *know* that there was a recovery
    CD in it and, based on that, would boot to it? But if there was a different
    bootable CD in the same drive it wouldn't? That seems improbable (although
    I can't say it isn't true). I've tried three different CDs that I know are
    bootable, but none of them work. I assume it's because the machine doesn't
    "see" the CD-ROM drive. Anyway, I don't want to install W95 or W98, I'm
    going to dual boot W2K and a Linux distro on the machine and use it as a
    spare. It'll be slow but functional. But first I need to be able to steer
    the boot process to the CD drive, both for W2K and for Linux. That's my
    issue --
    WC
    WCH, Apr 18, 2004
  4. WCH

    Wrinklytech Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > "Wrinklytech" <> wrote in message
    > > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > > > I bought a used Toshiba Portege 3110CT laptop (used to have one

    and
    > > loved
    > > > it) with no O/S. The BIOS lets you boot from a floppy, the HD or

    LAN,
    > > but
    > > > not a CD-ROM. This laptop is a "subnotebook", real small with

    > > external
    > > > floppy and a CD-ROM that you plug into the pcmcia slot.
    > > >
    > > > I'm looking for a boot disk that will let me install from the

    CD-ROM.
    > > The
    > > > boot disks I've used for older PCs don't do it as they don't read

    that
    > > > there's a CD-ROM present (in the pcmcia slot). A Windows 98 boot

    disk
    > > > doesn't do it. Is there something designed for this situation?
    > > > WC
    > > >

    > > If you have the Recovery CDs, you can boot from CD 1, and then

    install
    > > either Win95 or Win98. Suggest you download the manual which covers

    how
    > > to do this.
    > > HTH
    > > Vaughan
    > >

    > I don't have the "recovery CDs". Not sure how that would help. You

    mean
    > the laptop would read the CD-ROM drive and *know* that there was a

    recovery
    > CD in it and, based on that, would boot to it? But if there was a

    different
    > bootable CD in the same drive it wouldn't? That seems improbable

    (although
    > I can't say it isn't true). I've tried three different CDs that I

    know are
    > bootable, but none of them work. I assume it's because the machine

    doesn't
    > "see" the CD-ROM drive. Anyway, I don't want to install W95 or W98,

    I'm
    > going to dual boot W2K and a Linux distro on the machine and use it as

    > spare. It'll be slow but functional. But first I need to be able to

    steer
    > the boot process to the CD drive, both for W2K and for Linux. That's

    my
    > issue --
    > WC

    Why don't you download the manual. Lots of useful information on the
    machine, including how to boot from CD, although not sure if it covers
    BIOS settings which influence behaviour of PCMCIA controller, and thus
    CD.
    Wrinklytech, Apr 18, 2004
  5. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > "Wrinklytech" <> wrote in message
    > > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > > > I bought a used Toshiba Portege 3110CT laptop (used to have one and

    > > loved
    > > > it) with no O/S. The BIOS lets you boot from a floppy, the HD or LAN,

    > > but
    > > > not a CD-ROM. This laptop is a "subnotebook", real small with

    > > external
    > > > floppy and a CD-ROM that you plug into the pcmcia slot.
    > > >
    > > > I'm looking for a boot disk that will let me install from the CD-ROM.

    > > The
    > > > boot disks I've used for older PCs don't do it as they don't read that
    > > > there's a CD-ROM present (in the pcmcia slot). A Windows 98 boot disk
    > > > doesn't do it. Is there something designed for this situation?
    > > > WC
    > > >

    > > If you have the Recovery CDs, you can boot from CD 1, and then install
    > > either Win95 or Win98. Suggest you download the manual which covers how
    > > to do this.
    > > HTH
    > > Vaughan
    > >

    > I don't have the "recovery CDs". Not sure how that would help. You mean
    > the laptop would read the CD-ROM drive and *know* that there was a

    recovery
    > CD in it and, based on that, would boot to it? But if there was a

    different
    > bootable CD in the same drive it wouldn't? That seems improbable

    (although
    > I can't say it isn't true). I've tried three different CDs that I know

    are
    > bootable, but none of them work. I assume it's because the machine

    doesn't
    > "see" the CD-ROM drive. Anyway, I don't want to install W95 or W98, I'm
    > going to dual boot W2K and a Linux distro on the machine and use it as a
    > spare. It'll be slow but functional. But first I need to be able to

    steer
    > the boot process to the CD drive, both for W2K and for Linux. That's my
    > issue --
    > WC

    WC, you're probably correct. Your laptop can't access the PCMCIA until there
    is an OS in place to tell it how.

    Here's what I'd probably try:

    Buy the little adapter made to connect 2-1/2" hard drives to standard IDE
    cables, and install the laptop hard drive in a desktop computer. Partition
    it, format the W2K partition, copy the W2K setup CD in its entirety to a
    "c:\setup" or some such folder. (Since you plan on adding Linux later, be
    sure you leave space for that partition as well).

    While you're at the desktop, use the W2K setup CD to create the boot disk
    set for W2K setup (I think it takes 6 floppies).

    Put the HD back in the laptop, boot from the floppies, and it should allow
    you to specify the location of the setup files, which you had copied to the
    hard disk.

    Maybe someone else has actually *tried* this <g> - I haven't, but I believe
    it should work.

    Toolman
    Toolman Tim, Apr 18, 2004
  6. WCH

    Wrinklytech Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    IDE
    > cables, and install the laptop hard drive in a desktop computer.

    Partition
    > it, format the W2K partition, copy the W2K setup CD in its entirety to

    > "c:\setup" or some such folder. (Since you plan on adding Linux later,

    be
    > sure you leave space for that partition as well).
    >
    > While you're at the desktop, use the W2K setup CD to create the boot

    disk
    > set for W2K setup (I think it takes 6 floppies).
    >
    > Put the HD back in the laptop, boot from the floppies, and it should

    allow
    > you to specify the location of the setup files, which you had copied

    to the
    > hard disk.
    >
    > Maybe someone else has actually *tried* this <g> - I haven't, but I

    You could waste an awful lot of time doing the above. Yes you would
    have an OS installed on the hard drive, but you would have lots of
    incorrect drivers installed as a result of setting up on different
    hardware. Toshiba have a utility disk (available from their web site),
    which will boot the machine to DOS and install real mode CD drivers.
    Once you have done this, fdisk the hard drive and set up the partitions
    you want, format the C: drive and create a folder for the installation
    files, then copy them over from the CD and install from the hard drive.
    I think you will still need drivers for the CD if using Win2000
    (available from Freecom's site), although I believe that XP has native
    drivers for the CD (not totally sure about that). Win2000 sets up all
    the other hardware correctly. Good luck!
    Vaughan
    Wrinklytech, Apr 18, 2004
  7. WCH

    WCH Guest

    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > > "Wrinklytech" <> wrote in message
    > > > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > > > loved

    LAN,
    > > > but
    > > > external

    CD-ROM.
    > > > The

    that

    disk

    > > > If you have the Recovery CDs, you can boot from CD 1, and then install
    > > > either Win95 or Win98. Suggest you download the manual which covers

    how
    > > > to do this.
    > > > HTH
    > > > Vaughan
    > > >

    > > I don't have the "recovery CDs". Not sure how that would help. You

    mean
    > > the laptop would read the CD-ROM drive and *know* that there was a

    > recovery
    > > CD in it and, based on that, would boot to it? But if there was a

    > different
    > > bootable CD in the same drive it wouldn't? That seems improbable

    > (although
    > > I can't say it isn't true). I've tried three different CDs that I know

    > are
    > > bootable, but none of them work. I assume it's because the machine

    > doesn't
    > > "see" the CD-ROM drive. Anyway, I don't want to install W95 or W98, I'm
    > > going to dual boot W2K and a Linux distro on the machine and use it as a
    > > spare. It'll be slow but functional. But first I need to be able to

    > steer
    > > the boot process to the CD drive, both for W2K and for Linux. That's my
    > > issue --
    > > WC
    > >

    > WC, you're probably correct. Your laptop can't access the PCMCIA until

    there
    > is an OS in place to tell it how.
    >
    > Here's what I'd probably try:
    >
    > Buy the little adapter made to connect 2-1/2" hard drives to standard IDE
    > cables, and install the laptop hard drive in a desktop computer. Partition
    > it, format the W2K partition, copy the W2K setup CD in its entirety to a
    > "c:\setup" or some such folder. (Since you plan on adding Linux later, be
    > sure you leave space for that partition as well).
    >
    > While you're at the desktop, use the W2K setup CD to create the boot disk
    > set for W2K setup (I think it takes 6 floppies).
    >
    > Put the HD back in the laptop, boot from the floppies, and it should allow
    > you to specify the location of the setup files, which you had copied to

    the
    > hard disk.
    >
    > Maybe someone else has actually *tried* this <g> - I haven't, but I

    believe
    > it should work.
    >
    > Toolman

    Toolman -- Actually, that's the direction I've been headed in today. I used
    a PC running Window 2000 to generate a set of boot disks (four of them),
    which I used to set up W2K on the laptop. That worked just fine, so I'm
    halfway there. Still, one essential purpose of this project is to have a
    Linux distro running so I can learn more about Linux, and I can't be sure
    that I can do all the repartitioning and setups to get Linux running in a
    dual boot setup from floppies. I'm going to use Red Hat Fedora as it came
    with the instructional manual I bought as a teaching tool. As a workaround,
    so far so good on the method you suggested, but it seems there ought to be a
    more conventional way to get laptops without O/Ss to read pcmcia devices.
    WC
    WCH, Apr 18, 2004
  8. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

> [...]

    > be
    > > sure you leave space for that partition as well).
    > >
    > > While you're at the desktop, use the W2K setup CD to create the boot

    > disk
    > > set for W2K setup (I think it takes 6 floppies).
    > >
    > > Put the HD back in the laptop, boot from the floppies, and it should

    > allow
    > > you to specify the location of the setup files, which you had copied

    > to the
    > > hard disk.
    > >
    > > Maybe someone else has actually *tried* this <g> - I haven't, but I

    > believe
    > > it should work.
    > >
    > > Toolman
    > >

    > You could waste an awful lot of time doing the above. Yes you would
    > have an OS installed on the hard drive, but you would have lots of
    > incorrect drivers installed as a result of setting up on different

    I didn't say to *run* the setup while the drive was in the desktop. Put it
    back in the laptop, boot from the floppy disk set, and W2K will install the
    correct drivers as it sets up.

    > Toshiba have a utility disk (available from their web site),
    > which will boot the machine to DOS and install real mode CD drivers.

    This will only eliminate putting the HD in the desktop.

    > Once you have done this, fdisk the hard drive and set up the partitions
    > you want, format the C: drive and create a folder for the installation
    > files, then copy them over from the CD and install from the hard drive.

    Exactly what I said in the first place.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 18, 2004