    explore it, and it autoruns. But for some reason it doesn't seem to be
    bootable. Is there something i can do to fix this? I am running and AMD64
    cpu as well. Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=, Jun 7, 2005

  2. When you burned that to a CD, did you happen to use a CDRW? You need to use a
    plain old, write once, CD. Re-writeable won't work for this.
    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=

    Caoimhghin Guest

    > When you burned that to a CD, did you happen to use a CDRW? You need to
    > use a plain old, write once, CD. Re-writeable won't work for this.
    > --
    > Charlie.

    Well I've used the same CD-RW disc for burning RC1, RC2 and now the eval.
    copy worked every time. Why do you think a CD-RW will not work?

    Caoimhghin, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Actually yes, it is a CD-RW. Thanks for the reply, so it won't work at all
    on a CD-RW?

    =?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Sometimes not. I've seen case where a re-writeable disk was not recognized as
    a bootable CD -- I think it depends on your combination of drive and BIOS.
    Other testers report success, but I know on my systems I've had problems. So
    I always strongly recommend not using a rewritable CD for a boot CD.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2005
  6. It's a variable -- some systems will work fine, others not. I've got at least
    one system here (ASUS mobo) that simply will not read a rewritable CD as a
    boot cd. Not sure if it's the BIOS on the system, or the actual CD drive
    itself. But I've consistently verified the problem on that system. It's a
    pain, I agree, since this is a perfect use for a rewritable CD. :)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2005
  7. k, it still won't boot from the cd. I burnt it to a Standard CD-R, and again
    it autoplays, giving me a message that "this version of windows must be
    installed by booting from the cd... etc restart computer" not exact words,
    but you get the idea. Reboot and just loads straight to windows. I got the
    Boot Disk Failure, only because i took the HD out of the boot priority list
    and just had the cd-rom. Now i have it set, like before, CD-ROM 1st, HD 2nd.
    I again tested my Win XP cd, and it boots fine. Is there anything else i
    can do? I have an Asus A8N SLi mobo. Thanks for your help thus far.

    =?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=, Jun 8, 2005
  8. No clue. It just works, here, and we haven't seen any other reports of
    issues. I'd have to say it sounds like a defective drive or download or other
    issue. Possibly even a BIOS issue. But not really an x64 issue.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  9. Hrm, ok thanks. I guess i'll just try and re-download and burn it. And if
    nothing, then i'll try a different cd-rom as well. I think i'll try a
    different cd-rom with the current cd i have and see if that works. Thanks
    for the suggestions.

    =?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Always try the cheapest/easiest first. So yes, try booting another computer
    with that CD in the drive. If it doesn't work, then you look at the download
    or the burn. If it _does_ work, you know it's something on the x64
    computer -- bios or drive, almost certainly. (You don't, by any wierd chance,
    have two CD/DVD players in that computer, do you? It will only boot from one
    of them, and I've been fooled by that one before.)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:29:11 -0700, justinwol
    <> wrote:

    >Now i have it set, like before, CD-ROM 1st, HD 2nd.

    Just a silly suggestion. Do you have more optical drives? Did you try
    another one? While, when I installed, I had to switch my drives after
    the 1st phase (the one where you go to Windows), because it wouldn't
    look at my DVD-ROM anymore. Maybe you have somehow a similar problem?

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 8, 2005