    First of all, I am a Systems Engineer for a Fortune 500 company with years of
    experience. My work is paying for it and I'm not going to learn, just for
    the peice of paper.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=, Mar 8, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?= climbed on a
    soapbox & opined:

    > Is there a list somewhere of companies that offer boot camps such as
    > Global Knoledge and others? Or, does anyone know of a training center
    > in the LA area? Please no stupid comments about how boot camps are a
    > waste of money. First of all, I am a Systems Engineer for a Fortune
    > 500 company with years of experience. My work is paying for it and
    > I'm not going to learn, just for the peice of paper.

    It's deja vu all over again!
    -.50¢ to Y.B.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Mar 8, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

    Briscobar Guest

    In news:,
    Jason <> rambled:
    > Is there a list somewhere of companies that offer boot camps such as
    > Global Knoledge and others? Or, does anyone know of a training
    > center in the LA area? Please no stupid comments about how boot
    > camps are a waste of money. First of all, I am a Systems Engineer for
    > a Fortune 500 company with years of experience. My work is paying
    > for it and I'm not going to learn, just for the peice of paper.

    boot camps don't certify you. Microsoft certifies you. If you're in it for
    the paper, talk to your boss about paying for you to take the Microsoft
    exams.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    nerd32768's mother told him to clean his room. Instead, he visited
    www.mcngp.com.

    Briscobar, Mar 8, 2005
  4. I know Microsoft certifies you. I'm already certified. I just want my 2003
    MCSE. I am looking for a boot camp to prepare me for the new exams.
    Besides, if my work is willing to pay for me to take a week or two off work,
    why wouldn't I?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=, Mar 8, 2005
  5. If you have years of systems engineering experience for a Fortune 500
    company, why would you need a boot camp?

    Buy any number of Windows Server 2003 books, set up a few test servers
    and get to work. You'll save your company some money and you should
    learn quickly with your prior background.

    It's been my experience that these boot camps are for people who have
    little or no sys admin experience and / or are too lazy to crack a book
    or set up a test lab on their own initiative. Though these companies
    wouldn't want you to know this, I've heard off the record that there is
    a high test failure rate among people who go through these camps -
    which makes perfect sense given the rushed nature, lack of experience,
    and general "spoon feed me the information" attitude people have going
    into them.

    Also, I figure with your years of experience you have the ability to
    query search engines -- along the lines of +boot +camp +MCSE via Google.

    blastingfonda, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Just checked out mcngp.com. This has to be the most stupid site I have seen
    in some time. Requirements like "Newsgroup Flaming Techniques" and
    "Belittling those whose skill set is far beneath their own, in a tactful and
    professional manner". How old are you people? This sounds like something I
    would have done in college. And "L33t"? Didn't that go out in the 90's?
    Grow up guys. Start a family, buy a house and try helping others. Remember,
    we were all newbies at one time.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=, Mar 8, 2005
  7. I AM too lazy to crack open a book. Besides, I don't want to send the few
    hours I have at night thinking about systems. I would much rather spend time
    with my wife and kid.

    Have you tried googling these terms? Do you see how much junk there is? I
    just figured I would ask here. Thought I would get some useful information.
    It seems though that the readers on this board are just out to put people
    down.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=, Mar 8, 2005
  8. We answer legitimate questions. We help people all the time. If your
    offended that isn't our problem it's yours. Ask me for something nicely and
    I will try and help you. Start out by acting the fool and you will get
    flamed.

    --
    "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    justafreak.com
    ..

    The Rev \(MCT\), Mar 8, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?= climbed on a
    soapbox & opined:

    > Just checked out mcngp.com.

    Thank you. I heard the coins clink into the box.

    > This has to be the most stupid site I
    > have seen in some time.

    Oh, come on. There's lots of waaaay more stupid sites than ours. But
    thanks anyway.

    > Requirements like "Newsgroup Flaming
    > Techniques" and "Belittling those whose skill set is far beneath their
    > own, in a tactful and professional manner".

    There is no shortcut to excellence! You can't just dump your way into the
    cert "for the paper" It takes skill and practice.

    A sense of humor helps, too. You probably won't be able to fake that one,
    either.

    > How old are you people?

    Eleventy-seven.

    ....And a half.

    > This sounds like something I would have done in college.

    No, I't sounds like you were a humorless little dweeb then as well.

    > And "L33t"? Didn't that go out in the 90's?

    |-|4 |-|4, 5|-|0\/\/z \/\/|-|47 j00 |\|0!!!!

    > Grow up guys. Start a family, buy a house

    Are you fscking kidding??? It's all I can do to pay for the ones I got!
    One of each is quite enough TYVM.

    > and try helping others. Remember, we were all newbies at one
    > time.

    Clued newbies get all the help they need. Asshats looking for a free ride
    "just for the paper" that make the mistake of coming in here trying to
    pass judgement might get a rougher reception. Not that this neccessarily
    describes you, but...

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Mar 8, 2005
  10. You do have a good, witty sense of humor. I'll give you that. And you're
    right it's not the MOST stupid site.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=, Mar 8, 2005
  11. And why does everyone seem to have a problem with "just for the paper"? Why
    else would someone put in the time to get a cert? To get a better job, or
    make more money. It's not to learn. You don't magically become smarter
    because you have an MCSE. It's not like someone with an MCSE and no
    experience is going to take my job.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=, Mar 8, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=" <> prattled
    ceaslessly in news::

    > I AM too lazy to crack open a book. Besides, I don't want to send the
    > few hours I have at night thinking about systems. I would much rather
    > spend time with my wife and kid.
    >
    > Have you tried googling these terms? Do you see how much junk there
    > is? I just figured I would ask here. Thought I would get some useful
    > information. It seems though that the readers on this board are just
    > out to put people down.

    Actually, we're trying very hard to help you here. Boot camps will NOT
    really help you. If your work will pay you to take a couple of weeks off
    to go to a boot camp, why not take those two weeks and set up a test lab
    at home. You get to spend time with the wife and kid AND learn. You
    said in another post that you don't really learn when you go for your
    MCSE -- I think that's sad. Maybe you aren't making the most of the
    process? I know I've learned a tremendous amount and have filled in the
    cracks in my knowledge base in a way that I couldn't learning as I go on
    the job. There's no substitute for experience but a little book learning
    will make the experience much smoother.

    It's entirely up to you what you decide to do, but you asked for our
    advice and we gave you our honest opinion. Don't get all mad because we
    don't support your decision to take the easy way out.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Incredible! One of the worst performances of my career and they never
    doubted it for a second."

    catwalker63, Mar 9, 2005
  13. I did not ask for advice or opinions. I asked if Microsoft, or anyone else,
    provides a list of training centers that offer boot camps.

    But thanks for the advice.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=, Mar 9, 2005
  14. As for the BootCamp thing. I disagree depending on the individual. for
    someone that has been in the field for a couple years and is already
    managing an AD environment it's a perfect fit if your looking for paper,
    because for the most part you have the knowledge.

    To answer the original question. I don't know of any list, however I can
    recommend one company I like a lot. they don't do braindumps and if your
    willing to work hard for a couple weeks I recommend The Training Camp.
    trainingcamp.com (and no I don't work for them, but I did stay at a Holiday
    Inn Express last night)

    --
    "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    justafreak.com
    ..

    The Rev \(MCT\), Mar 9, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=" <>
    say in news::

    > And why does everyone seem to have a problem with "just for the
    > paper"? Why else would someone put in the time to get a cert? To get
    > a better job, or make more money. It's not to learn. You don't
    > magically become smarter because you have an MCSE. It's not like
    > someone with an MCSE and no experience is going to take my job.

    I think we have a nomination for Troll of the week.

    ^^
    ^^ .. ..
    [] []
    .:[]:_ ^^ ,:[]:.
    .: :[]: :-. ,-: :[]: :.
    .: : :[]: : :`._ ,.': : :[]: : :.
    .: : : :[]: : : : :-._ _,-: : : : :[]: : : :.
    _..: : : : :[]: : : : : : :-._________.-: : : : : : :[]: : : : :-._
    _:_:_:_:_:_:[]:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:[]:_:_:_:_:_:_
    !!!!!!!!!!!![]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![]!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^[]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[]^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [] []
    [] []
    [] []
    ~~^-~^_~^~/ \~^-~^~_~^-~_^~-^~_^~~-^~_~^~-~_~-^~_^/ \~^-~_~^-~~-
    ~ _~~- ~^-^~-^~~- ^~_^-^~~_ -~^_ -~_-~~^- _~~_~-^_ ~^-^~~-_^-~ ~^
    ~ ^- _~~_- ~~ _ ~ ^~ - ~~^ _ - ^~- ~ _ ~~^ - ~_ - ~^_~
    ~- ^_ ~^ - ^~ _ - ~^~ _ _~^~- _ ~~^ - _ ~ - _ ~~^ -
    jgs ~^ -_ ~^^ -_ ~ _ - _ ~^~- _~ -_ ~- _ ~^ _ - ~ ^-
    ~^~ - _ ^ - ~~~ _ - _ ~-^ ~ __- ~_ - ~ ~^_-
    ~ ~- ^~ - ~^ - ~ ^~ - ~~ ^~ - ~

    now back under the bridge...I have a nomination to make...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Never cough into a full ashtray.

    Neil, Mar 9, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> say in

    > I think we have a nomination for Troll of the week.

    and the polls are now open...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - If everyone lived forever, where would we all park??

    Neil, Mar 9, 2005
  17. Jason wrote:
    > And why does everyone seem to have a problem with "just for the
    > paper"?

    Do you honestly believe that?

    > Why else would someone put in the time to get a cert?

    To learn, perhaps?

    > get a better job, or make more money. It's not to learn.

    One gets a better job or makes more money by learning, no?

    > You don't
    > magically become smarter because you have an MCSE.

    This is true. But only for a$$-dumping paper certs. Those who study and
    practice do indeed learn. I realize that you are an exception (supposedly)
    to this, as you have all this experience already. But, if you'd take the
    time to actually study, you might actually learn something you don't already
    know. Like the "Microsoft" way of doing things, which is not necessarily
    the correct way. Still, it's learning.

    > It's not like
    > someone with an MCSE and no experience is going to take my job.

    You sure about that? If you simply added "at the money they're paying me
    now", I'd agree.

    --
    Fris "I wonder if out-sourcers have attitude" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics

    =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=, Mar 9, 2005
  18. Jason wrote:
    > I AM too lazy to crack open a book. Besides, I don't want to send
    > the few hours I have at night thinking about systems. I would much
    > rather spend time with my wife and kid.

    Okay, so you'd rather spend TWO WEEKS away from your wife and kid, than
    spend a little time each night reading a book or two?

    > Have you tried googling these terms? Do you see how much junk there
    > is? I just figured I would ask here. Thought I would get some
    > useful information. It seems though that the readers on this board
    > are just out to put people down.

    If you had checked your attitude at the door, you'd have received a
    different reaction.

    --
    Fris "Hi! to ThisSiteSucks" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=, Mar 9, 2005
  19. Jason wrote:
    > I did not ask for advice or opinions. I asked if Microsoft, or
    > anyone else, provides a list of training centers that offer boot
    > camps.

    Ouch

    > But thanks for the advice.

    I think my sarcasm meter is broken.

    For what it's worth (assuming you're open to opinions now), I'm one of the
    few regulars in here that thinks that there is a place for bootcamps, but I
    only think they should be used in situations like yours. I'm still not
    crazy about them, and firmly believe they should not be used as a
    springboard to enter IT, but the way you described your situation, I can
    relate. Bootcamps (IMHO) should exist to help people who do already have
    extensive experience quick get up-to-speed on new technology. I don't think
    they should necessarily be certifaction-oriented, though. I think there
    should just be training available for people in your situation for that
    purpose only. I think a person should go to Special High-Intensity Training
    (interesting acronym there) simply to get up-to-speed on the technology,
    then use that new knowledge in the field for some time. Then they should
    actually study and practice for the exams much later.

    Personally, if my boss offered to send me to something like this for
    learning .Net programming, I'd jump on it. I'd soak it all in, then use it
    for at least six months or so, then I'd consider taking the exams for
    MCAD/MCSD. If I took the exams at the boot camp (and I'd probably be a fool
    not to, since they're usually covered in the price) I'd feel like I didn't
    earn it, even if I passed.

    Okay, if you've stuck with me this long, I'll offer one piece of advice. If
    you want to find out more about boot camps in general, Certification
    Magazine has run at least one piece rating various camps, and it was
    interesting reading. I'm lazy, too, so google for it yourself, or go to
    their site.

    --
    Fris "Minority Leader" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=, Mar 9, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?= <>
    say in news::

    > Bootcamps (IMHO) should exist to help people who do already have
    > extensive experience quick get up-to-speed on new technology.

    this is I beleive the only reason they should exist. It has been my
    experieince however that this is rarely how they are used.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

    Neil, Mar 9, 2005