    Are there any signal boosting devices out there that are available??

    Thanks in advance!!!
    \
    the_niner_nation, Jun 26, 2005

  2. the_niner_nation

    Gray Ghost Guest

    First suggestion is getting something like Net Stumbler and seeing what
    networks are around in your neighborhood. If there's a large number of
    them on the same channel then simply go in and change the channel of
    your router, this might help since there won't be the interference from
    other networks.

    Additionally, once you've done this you might consider something like
    Sveasoft's alternate firmware which allows you to modify the power
    settings of the Linksys WRT54G (I'm guessing this is what you have even
    though you apparently don't know how to spell Linksys...).

    Last but not least you can get a range expander made by D-Link or
    Hawking Technology -- I would suggest against the Linksys Range Expander
    since it's proprietary and cannot be used with any other wireless access
    point.

    -gg-

    Gray Ghost, Jun 26, 2005

  3. the_niner_nation

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Take your pick http://search.ebay.com/wireless-antenna_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

    "the_niner_nation" <> wrote in
    message news:1119795575.04c763aaf27a0751bc0d52f95381ec74@teranews...

    pcbutts1, Jun 26, 2005
  4. the_niner_nation

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:19:32 +0100, the_niner_nation wrote:

    >Hi..I ahve a lyksys wireless router which works great just as long as the
    >wireless devices are no more than 15 feet away, but because of walls and
    >other structures, I need to find a way of boosting the signal.
    >
    >Is there anything I can do to increase the gain or strength of the signal so
    >i can get more functionality out of being wireless?

    Besides the other advice about channels, you should be able to find on
    www.google.com many aerial projects.

    I think it was this months UK, Custom PC that had a small project to
    (tru http://www.custompc.co.uk/ in case it's online) build a reflector
    plate for a wireless router. It was a (approx) hand sized metal mesh
    sheet curved over a small former to make the arc shape and it simply
    slid over the aerial.

    >I use a centrino laptop that works just fine, but anything more than 15 ft
    >away from the router cauuses the signal to drop.
    >
    >I did try a belkin wireless access point , but belkin say that will onloy
    >work with a belkin compatible wireless router.
    >
    >Are there any signal boosting devices out there that are available??

    www.google.com
    you will find things like

    http://www.connect802.com/antennas.htm

    and in less than 10 seconds