books on digital photography ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by minnesotti, Jul 29, 2006.

  1. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    I am intersted to find a book on digital photography, workflow with
    RAW, post-processing etc. Among other questions, I am interetsed to
    learn rreplies to these:

    1. How to work with Curves and Levels ? If I want a particular effect
    (increase brightness/contrast/etc), what part of the curve I should
    move and where ?

    2. How to set the right value of gamma and other parameters when doing
    RAW conversion. Profiles for my camera. sRGB and other gamut spaces.

    3. How to stitch the panorama from several images.

    4. How to overlay several images of the same object with the purpose to
    receive the higher dyamic range.

    5. How to set up a digital workflow and end up printing the
    righ-quality images. And many other questions...

    Recently I read someone's advice on this newsgroup to get the book by
    Bruce Fraser "Real World camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2". Today I
    went to the book shop and paged through it and through other books. I
    liked this particular book because the author gave a physical
    explanation of why this or that should be done with the comprehensive
    diagrams. I wish I could have a similar-styled book with a wider
    coverage and with the deeper description.

    Can you recommend a must-have book for an intermediate-level
    photographer ? Thanks.

    minnesotti, Jul 29, 2006

  2. minnesotti

    Paul Heslop Guest

    minnesotti wrote:

    > I am intersted to find a book on digital photography, workflow with
    > RAW, post-processing etc. Among other questions, I am interetsed to
    > learn rreplies to these:
    >
    > 1. How to work with Curves and Levels ? If I want a particular effect
    > (increase brightness/contrast/etc), what part of the curve I should
    > move and where ?
    >
    > 2. How to set the right value of gamma and other parameters when doing
    > RAW conversion. Profiles for my camera. sRGB and other gamut spaces.
    >
    > 3. How to stitch the panorama from several images.
    >
    > 4. How to overlay several images of the same object with the purpose to
    > receive the higher dyamic range.
    >
    > 5. How to set up a digital workflow and end up printing the
    > righ-quality images. And many other questions...
    >
    > Recently I read someone's advice on this newsgroup to get the book by
    > Bruce Fraser "Real World camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2". Today I
    > went to the book shop and paged through it and through other books. I
    > liked this particular book because the author gave a physical
    > explanation of why this or that should be done with the comprehensive
    > diagrams. I wish I could have a similar-styled book with a wider
    > coverage and with the deeper description.
    >
    > Can you recommend a must-have book for an intermediate-level
    > photographer ? Thanks.
    >
    > ..

    Do you have a public library? If so you may find it useful to take a
    look at what they have, see if anything fits the bill before you buy.
    --
    Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Jul 29, 2006

  3. minnesotti

    Brian Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:31:44 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> mentioned:

    >minnesotti wrote:
    >>
    >> I am intersted to find a book on digital photography, workflow with
    >> RAW, post-processing etc. Among other questions, I am interetsed to
    >> learn rreplies to these:
    >>
    >> 1. How to work with Curves and Levels ? If I want a particular effect
    >> (increase brightness/contrast/etc), what part of the curve I should
    >> move and where ?
    >>
    >> 2. How to set the right value of gamma and other parameters when doing
    >> RAW conversion. Profiles for my camera. sRGB and other gamut spaces.
    >>
    >> 3. How to stitch the panorama from several images.
    >>
    >> 4. How to overlay several images of the same object with the purpose to
    >> receive the higher dyamic range.
    >>
    >> 5. How to set up a digital workflow and end up printing the
    >> righ-quality images. And many other questions...
    >>
    >> Recently I read someone's advice on this newsgroup to get the book by
    >> Bruce Fraser "Real World camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2". Today I
    >> went to the book shop and paged through it and through other books. I
    >> liked this particular book because the author gave a physical
    >> explanation of why this or that should be done with the comprehensive
    >> diagrams. I wish I could have a similar-styled book with a wider
    >> coverage and with the deeper description.
    >>
    >> Can you recommend a must-have book for an intermediate-level
    >> photographer ? Thanks.
    >>
    >> ..

    >Do you have a public library? If so you may find it useful to take a
    >look at what they have, see if anything fits the bill before you buy.

    I liked Martin Evenin's Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers the best
    of the bunch I looked at and am very satisfied having purchased it.

    There's a lot of good stuff out on the net too. I can mention
    ronbigelow.com from memory as I've found his tutorials very good, but
    there's many others, most of whom post to this NG.

    Brian
    (for email change closed to open)

    Brian, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Find the book that matches your software. If it is Adobe CS2, then Google
    the heck out of that and see what you come up with. Kelby is a decent
    writer and so is Brown, if you are into Photoshop.

    Charles Schuler, Jul 29, 2006
  5. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    > Find the book that matches your software. If it is Adobe CS2, then Google
    > the heck out of that and see what you come up with. Kelby is a decent
    > writer and so is Brown, if you are into Photoshop.

    I am not into Photoshop. I have Photoshop 6, and I almost never use it.
    There are other shareware programs out there on the Internet (which do
    some functions of Photoshop), which are easier to use (than Photoshop)
    and which I am using.

    For example, I use SilkyPix for RAW processing, and use levels and
    curves there... though they are a little more limited than those in PS.
    I recently found EasyHDR which I use for combining several pictures to
    increase the dynamic range (though I could not align pictures well). I
    use XnView to resize the pictures. I use NoiseNinja to remove noise.
    However, I am the beginner, and I do not know what is the proper
    workflow (I can miss ceratain operations because I do not know about
    them or I do not know how to properly do them).

    minnesotti, Jul 30, 2006
  6. minnesotti

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "minnesotti" <> wrote:

    > I am intersted to find a book on digital photography, workflow with
    > RAW, post-processing etc. Among other questions, I am interetsed to
    > learn rreplies to these:
    >
    > 1. How to work with Curves and Levels ? If I want a particular effect
    > (increase brightness/contrast/etc), what part of the curve I should
    > move and where ?
    >
    > 2. How to set the right value of gamma and other parameters when doing
    > RAW conversion. Profiles for my camera. sRGB and other gamut spaces.
    >
    > 3. How to stitch the panorama from several images.
    >
    > 4. How to overlay several images of the same object with the purpose to
    > receive the higher dyamic range.
    >
    > 5. How to set up a digital workflow and end up printing the
    > righ-quality images. And many other questions...
    >
    > Recently I read someone's advice on this newsgroup to get the book by
    > Bruce Fraser "Real World camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2". Today I
    > went to the book shop and paged through it and through other books. I
    > liked this particular book because the author gave a physical
    > explanation of why this or that should be done with the comprehensive
    > diagrams. I wish I could have a similar-styled book with a wider
    > coverage and with the deeper description.
    >
    > Can you recommend a must-have book for an intermediate-level
    > photographer ? Thanks.

    Try http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/
    or http://media.uwb.edu/studio/photoshop.html
    or http://www.tutorialguide.net/design/adobe_photoshop/

    Amazon has this one
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592001726/104-4427363-0419916?v=glance&
    n=283155

    Before you find the 'must have' guide, check these online tutorials
    first. Most people find that learning by doing is much better that
    starting from page 1. The printed guides are only useful if you have a
    specific problem. Digital Photo magazine (published in the UK) gives
    away a free CD monthly with .avi movie tutorials solving specific
    problems or concentrating on a particular tool in Photoshop. Adobe also
    publishes Focus Guides for the more advanced PS user.

    I have a number of tutorials that illustrate how to adjust curves, using
    layers to enhance pictures, creating actions to speed up certain
    repetitive actions etc. I'd offer copies of all these (on 4 DVD-Rs) but
    I'm sure to get flamed for sharing ripped guides...

    Stewy, Jul 30, 2006
  7. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    minnesotti wrote:

    > Recently I read someone's advice on this newsgroup to get the book by
    > Bruce Fraser "Real World camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2".

    Yesterday I ordered this book on Amazon.com for A$50, and it will
    arrive in 2-4 weeks. Today I went to the bookshop, and saw this book
    for A$60. Have a made a worse deal ?

    minnesotti, Aug 5, 2006
  8. minnesotti

    Petri Lopia Guest