    Or is it better to get a book with .NET projects and work through a
    few of them.

    I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

    vbguru, Aug 18, 2004

  2. vbguru

    David Guest

    Dear VBguru,

    To make a long story short, check out MURACH.COM and scroll down until you
    see the VB.NET books. I hope this helps and saves you some money.

    Good luck.

    David, Aug 19, 2004

  3. vbguru

    Guest Guest

    These are not books, but MSDN has several sample functional applications
    that can be downloaded. There are also related documents describing the
    architecture, etc. :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/ht
    ml/vxorivisualstudiosamples.asp

    Specifically, there is a VB.NET and C# version of the Duwamish is an ASP.NET
    application:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dwamish7/ht
    ml/vtoriDuwamish70Overview.asp

    WKidd

    Guest, Aug 19, 2004
  4. vbguru

    Eric Guest

    David wrote:

    > To make a long story short, check out MURACH.COM and scroll down
    > until you see the VB.NET books. I hope this helps and saves you some
    > money.

    People either love Murach books, or hate them. I can understand the
    reasons for both.

    He tries to over-simplify sometimes without thouroughly explaining the
    subject, but this can make it easier for newbies to get started.

    His "theory on one page, and exercise on facing page" approach isn't
    well suited for subjects that can't be explained on a single page. You
    end up changing pages back and forth to try to understand the subject.

    I don't know if the Murach books are a good way to study for
    certification...

    To be fair, some people love these books.

    Eric

    Eric, Aug 19, 2004
  5. vbguru

    Eric Guest

    vbguru wrote:

    > language, passing the exam is secondary. Do I need to first work
    > through the VB book by Mike, then perhaps Wrox Professional ADO.net.
    > Or is it better to get a book with .NET projects and work through a
    > few of them.

    Mike's book IS a book of small projects with step-by-step instructions
    and lots of explanations. You can't do better than that for learning,
    even without certification.

    Eric

    Eric, Aug 19, 2004