Books for MCSD

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Einar, May 25, 2004.

  1. Einar

    Einar Guest

    I am planing to take theese tests

    Web Application Development (ASP.NET).
    Exam 70-315:

    Windows Application Development
    Exam 70-316:

    XML Web Services
    Exam 70-320:

    Solution Architecture
    Exam 70-300:

    SQL Server
    Exam 70-229:

    To complete the MCSD certificate, any adivise on good
    books. I have seen some people saying that the MCAD/MCSD
    Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with
    Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual
    C#® .NET, Second Edition isn't very good choice for
    preparation.

    Einar, May 25, 2004

  2. Good starting point: -

    exam prep guide + msdn

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 03:12:09 -0700, "Einar" <> wrote:

    >I am planing to take theese tests
    >
    >Web Application Development (ASP.NET).
    >Exam 70-315:
    >
    >Windows Application Development
    >Exam 70-316:
    >
    >XML Web Services
    >Exam 70-320:
    >
    >Solution Architecture
    >Exam 70-300:
    >
    >SQL Server
    >Exam 70-229:
    >
    >To complete the MCSD certificate, any adivise on good
    >books. I have seen some people saying that the MCAD/MCSD
    >Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with
    >Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual
    >C#® .NET, Second Edition isn't very good choice for
    >preparation.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 25, 2004

  3. If ever a newsgroup needed a FAQ...

    Einar: use Kalani (I'd prefer the blue books) for the first three; "Exam
    Cram 2" for 70-300; and there are a few good choices for 229 though you
    can't go wrong with Vieira. The good news is studying these you should be
    able to pass them all (well maybe not 70-300, that's still on my to-do
    list). The bad news is it's 5000 pages of fun, and there's no easy
    alternative.

    Regards,
    Brad Williams

    Brad Williams, May 25, 2004
  4. Einar

    Eric Guest

    Einar wrote:

    > To complete the MCSD certificate, any adivise on good
    > books. I have seen some people saying that the MCAD/MCSD
    > Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with
    > Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual
    > C#® .NET, Second Edition isn't very good choice for
    > preparation.

    For VB.NET: The Mike Gunderloy books are good. For C#, the Amit Kalani
    books are good. These books have a lot of step-by-step exercises.

    The MSPress books are good if you can learn by reading, and you already
    know some of the material already.

    Eric

    Eric, May 25, 2004
  5. >If ever a newsgroup needed a FAQ...

    ping Hermit Dave...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 25, 2004
  6. Einar

    Alistair Guest

    I think for this type of question there is, although it
    ain't in this NG itself.

    The best way to find a book for an exam is to go to
    amazon.com and type the exam number into the wee box. Most
    books have reviewes next to them...

    I gotta say, I'm with the MCNGP guys on this one ... if ya
    can't find sites like microsoft.com (and from there get to
    the training & cert pages), or if ya can't google, or if
    ya can't get to amazon.com, then surely ya can't call
    yourself a solution developer? or even an application
    developer?

    That'll be $0.02, please!

    Alistair, May 25, 2004
  7. Einar

    UAError Guest

    "Brad Williams" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >there are a few good choices for 229 though you
    >can't go wrong with Vieira.

    <snip>

    >Regards,
    >Brad Williams

    Can you share an estimate of the total number of hours it
    took you to plough through Viera's book in preparation for
    70-229?
    Did you take notes?
    How extensive was your pre-existing SQL Server experience?
    (or any other database for that matter)

    Thank You in advance.

    UAError, May 26, 2004
  8. >I gotta say, I'm with the MCNGP guys on this one ... if ya=20
    >can't find sites like microsoft.com (and from there get to=20
    >the training & cert pages), or if ya can't google, or if=20
    >ya can't get to amazon.com, then surely ya can't call=20
    >yourself a solution developer? or even an application=20
    >developer?

    you my like this: -

    <snip poster='Paul Lynch' Xref='TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse:127447'>

    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pix/bart.jpg

    </snip>

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 26, 2004
  9. This guy
    http://www.codeclinic.com/certification.htm
    collected the MCSD exam requirements, and then linked each requirement to a
    proper page on MSDN and other sites.

    Useful stuff to go through.

    --
    Alex Moskalyuk