Books for Learning Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Eddie, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Eddie

    Eddie Guest

    Hi All,

    I was wondering if you could recommend some good Linux books for someone
    relatively new to Linux (myself.)

    I would like to *really learn* Linux. Command line, administration,
    networking, security, GUIs, the internet etc.

    At the moment I have a AMD 700Mhz running ubuntu, an OSless 486 server and
    233Mhz desktop.
    What do you recommend?

    --
    Eddie.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

    Eddie, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Eddie

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:04:26 +1200, Eddie wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering if you could recommend some good Linux books for someone
    > relatively new to Linux (myself.)
    >
    > I would like to *really learn* Linux. Command line, administration,
    > networking, security, GUIs, the internet etc.
    >
    > At the moment I have a AMD 700Mhz running ubuntu, an OSless 486 server and
    > 233Mhz desktop.
    > What do you recommend?
    >
    > --
    > Eddie.
    > If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

    Hi
    Try the Linux Documentation Progect at http://www.tldp.org/

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Eddie

    Bok Guest

    Eddie wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering if you could recommend some good Linux books for someone
    > relatively new to Linux (myself.)
    >
    > I would like to *really learn* Linux. Command line, administration,
    > networking, security, GUIs, the internet etc.
    > What do you recommend?

    This is a good one to start with:
    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

    You can read it online, download a PDF or purchase a bound copy.
    Bok, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Eddie

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:04:26 +1200, Eddie wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering if you could recommend some good Linux books for someone
    > relatively new to Linux (myself.)
    >
    > I would like to *really learn* Linux. Command line, administration,
    > networking, security, GUIs, the internet etc.

    This questiuon arises from time to time on alt.os.linux.mandrake no doubt
    on others as well.

    Google the group.

    Meanwhile start off by being comfortable with using Linux. Slowly but
    surely will do it. No rush.
    Gordon, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Eddie

    Axle Guest

    Eddie wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering if you could recommend some good Linux books for someone
    > relatively new to Linux (myself.)
    >
    > I would like to *really learn* Linux. Command line, administration,
    > networking, security, GUIs, the internet etc.
    >
    > At the moment I have a AMD 700Mhz running ubuntu, an OSless 486 server and
    > 233Mhz desktop.
    > What do you recommend?
    >
    > --
    > Eddie.
    > If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    > --

    RUTE
    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_intro/index.html