    :)

    --
    er.. im on slrn.. dont hassle me for not having a sig file maaaaaaan
    -a-geek.net, Jun 30, 2005

  2. -a-geek.net

    PAM. Guest

    <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    > is there an option I have missed?
    > is there a better book?
    > am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself?
    > TIA
    > :)

    Bummer. I had online access to Books24x7 (.com) which expired in May. If you
    had mentioned it earlier I could have given you the password to go in there
    and download all the web pages and create your own book for free.

    I never really used it.

    Go for cheapie. Amazon or try trademe. Hmmm.

    PAM.
    PAM., Jun 30, 2005

  3. -a-geek.net

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:53:47 +0000, slacker wrote:

    > Hey all,
    > Im trying to find a book on php

    What kind of book on php? Reference? Tutorial? What level are you?

    > PHP cookbook seems the best option

    The O'Reilly cookbooks are best for people that know a bit about the
    subject already and are looking for small worked examples of either cool
    tricks or best practice type recipies.

    Good for intermediate/advanced users, but not so good for learning from
    scratch.

    > , but its like 63 dollars + 5 bucks p&p
    > http://www.fishpond.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=1457754

    That's pretty cheap for a locally sourced computer book.

    > its damn cheap on amazon, but I dont have an account blah blah
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ne/purchase/ref=pd_sxp_r0/103-6228719-8595000
    > http://tinyurl.com/7rvtm

    That will probably still be about $50 depending on how slow you want it.

    > and its wickedly expensive at whitcoulls 141 + postage
    > http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/featuredbook1.asp?StoreURL=whitcoulls&bookid=1565926811
    > http://tinyurl.com/csu95

    Yeah Whitcoulls sucks for computer books. It would probably cost $85-99
    at Dymocks.

    > is there an option I have missed?
    > is there a better book?

    Depends what you are looking for. There are lots of PHP books out there.

    > am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself? TIA
    > :)

    Doubtful, just buy a book (or two). You'll still be referring to the web
    site anyway :)

    If you already know some PHP, you can download this book

    PHP 5 Power Programming

    http://www.phptr.com/title/013147149X

    as a PDF for free legally here:

    http://www.phptr.com/content/images/013147149X/downloads/013147149X_book.pdf

    But its not really suitable for beginners.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 30, 2005
  4. -a-geek.net

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:53:47 +0000, slacker wrote:

    > PHP cookbook seems the best option

    Oh yeah, it is 3 yrs old now. You might want something a little more up to
    date.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 30, 2005
  5. -a-geek.net

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:11:28 +1200, PAM. wrote:

    > <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> is there an option I have missed?
    >> is there a better book?
    >> am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself?
    >> TIA
    >> :)

    > Bummer. I had online access to Books24x7 (.com) which expired in May. If you
    > had mentioned it earlier I could have given you the password to go in there
    > and download all the web pages and create your own book for free.
    >
    > I never really used it.
    >
    > Go for cheapie. Amazon or try trademe. Hmmm.
    >
    > PAM.

    I downloaded the manual from php.net at work.. all 1.8 MB
    (I think)
    I set up a print preview so I would know how many pages to print..
    and the winner is......?

    I stopped after 2300

    Shane, Jun 30, 2005
  6. -a-geek.net

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:21:46 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:53:47 +0000, slacker wrote:
    >
    >> Hey all,
    >> Im trying to find a book on php

    > What kind of book on php? Reference? Tutorial? What level are you?
    >
    >> PHP cookbook seems the best option

    > The O'Reilly cookbooks are best for people that know a bit about the
    > subject already and are looking for small worked examples of either cool
    > tricks or best practice type recipies.
    >
    > Good for intermediate/advanced users, but not so good for learning from
    > scratch.
    >
    >> , but its like 63 dollars + 5 bucks p&p
    >> http://www.fishpond.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=1457754

    > That's pretty cheap for a locally sourced computer book.
    >

    >> its damn cheap on amazon, but I dont have an account blah blah
    >> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ne/purchase/ref=pd_sxp_r0/103-6228719-8595000
    >> http://tinyurl.com/7rvtm

    > That will probably still be about $50 depending on how slow you want it.
    >

    >> and its wickedly expensive at whitcoulls 141 + postage
    >> http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/featuredbook1.asp?StoreURL=whitcoulls&bookid=1565926811
    >> http://tinyurl.com/csu95

    > Yeah Whitcoulls sucks for computer books. It would probably cost $85-99
    > at Dymocks.
    >
    >> is there an option I have missed?
    >> is there a better book?

    > Depends what you are looking for. There are lots of PHP books out there.
    >
    >> am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself? TIA
    >> :)

    > Doubtful, just buy a book (or two). You'll still be referring to the web
    > site anyway :)
    >
    > If you already know some PHP, you can download this book
    >
    > PHP 5 Power Programming
    >
    > http://www.phptr.com/title/013147149X
    >
    > as a PDF for free legally here:
    >
    > http://www.phptr.com/content/images/013147149X/downloads/013147149X_book.pdf
    >
    > But its not really suitable for beginners.

    Im going to give it a look over (its going to cost me a printer cartridge)
    as to my level.....?
    I never know my level :'(
    I think beg -> int.
    ah well... if Im in over my head.. I have nz.comp to beg for mercy/help :)

    Shane, Jun 30, 2005
  7. -a-geek.net

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:50:05 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > Im going to give it a look over (its going to cost me a printer cartridge)
    > as to my level.....?
    > I never know my level :'(
    > I think beg -> int.
    > ah well... if Im in over my head.. I have nz.comp to beg for mercy/help
    > :)

    Yeah I think that book will be over your head to begin with. It's mostly
    all about OO stuff like design patterns etc. Give it a look over before
    printing it out :)

    Have you seen these?

    A Programmer's Introduction to PHP 4.0:

    http://www.apress.com/free/

    http://www.apress.com/book/supplementDisplay.html?bID=3&sID=10

    And this one:

    http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/

    And these have PDF links:

    http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/47355.html
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/47644.html

    Does slacker = Shane?

    If so, you're in Tauranga aren't you?

    We've got an older early PHP4 (from 1999) book here that you'd be welcome
    to borrow if in Wellington. I say that because we occasionally might want
    to borrow it back at short notice ;)

    The other links would probably be enough to get you started. Don't bother
    printing out the php.net stuff - It's mostly just reference material. That
    stuff is best left online, it's the tutorial/background type stuff that
    you want to read offline.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 30, 2005
  8. -a-geek.net

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:22:18 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:50:05 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Im going to give it a look over (its going to cost me a printer cartridge)
    >> as to my level.....?
    >> I never know my level :'(
    >> I think beg -> int.
    >> ah well... if Im in over my head.. I have nz.comp to beg for mercy/help
    >> :)

    > Yeah I think that book will be over your head to begin with. It's mostly
    > all about OO stuff like design patterns etc. Give it a look over before
    > printing it out :)
    >
    > Have you seen these?
    >
    > A Programmer's Introduction to PHP 4.0:
    >
    > http://www.apress.com/free/
    >
    > http://www.apress.com/book/supplementDisplay.html?bID=3&sID=10
    >

    > And this one:
    >
    > http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/
    >
    > And these have PDF links:
    >
    > http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/47355.html
    > http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/47644.html
    >

    > Does slacker = Shane?

    ya.. was ssh into my home box and using slrn, it used my account name oon
    my machine for naming:)

    > If so, you're in Tauranga aren't you?

    yup

    > We've got an older early PHP4 (from 1999) book here that you'd be
    > welcome to borrow if in Wellington. I say that because we occasionally
    > might want to borrow it back at short notice ;)

    Awesome, thanks for the offer, but the logistics might be against us,
    that and Im after a keeper

    Shane, Jun 30, 2005
  9. Re: Books for learning PHP

    In article <-a-geek.net>,
    -a-geek.net wrote:

    >Im trying to find a book on php

    Do you really need a book to learn PHP? I just kept
    <http://www.php.net/manual/en/> open in a browser window for ready
    reference, and that was it. PHP isn't a complicated language, after all.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 30, 2005
  10. -a-geek.net

    Shane Guest

    Re: Books for learning PHP

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:12:14 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <-a-geek.net>,
    > -a-geek.net wrote:
    >
    >>Im trying to find a book on php

    > Do you really need a book to learn PHP? I just kept
    > <http://www.php.net/manual/en/> open in a browser window for ready
    > reference, and that was it. PHP isn't a complicated language, after all.

    Yeah I had a look over that site, call me old fashioned but for some
    reason dead trees are what Im looking for,
    having said that, I spent most of today at work, when I wasnt destroying
    old HDD's, reading one of the sites Anton had posted, and I found it (as
    can be expected) I'm finding it very much a small jump from PERL.
    I have previously tried to bang my head against the wall with php.net's
    manual, but its a bit cryptic.
    And the reading back of some of my posts makes me wonder htf I manage to
    get anything into my skull :)

    Shane, Jul 1, 2005
  11. -a-geek.net

    Adam Guest

    Re: Books for learning PHP

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:34:50 +1200, Shane wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:12:14 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <-a-geek.net>,
    >> -a-geek.net wrote:
    >>
    >>>Im trying to find a book on php

    >> Do you really need a book to learn PHP? I just kept
    >> <http://www.php.net/manual/en/> open in a browser window for ready
    >> reference, and that was it. PHP isn't a complicated language, after all.

    >Yeah I had a look over that site, call me old fashioned but for some
    >reason dead trees are what Im looking for,

    The online manual comes into its own when you scroll down to see
    posts/comments from other users. Some really handy tips - and lots of
    nice code snippets to steal ;-)

    Like you, though, I usually prefer a door-stop of a book to read. I
    can't even cope with reading off-screen in PDF format. By the time
    I've printed out 1,000 pages, I may as well have bought the flamin'
    book!

    2nd hand from Amazon is a good bet. Quite often the books are quite up
    to date. I've had dealers send me books where the delivery costs where
    greater than the price of the book itself <g>.

    Adam.
    Adam, Jul 1, 2005
  12. Re: Books for learning PHP

    In article <>, Adam wrote:

    >I can't even cope with reading off-screen in PDF format.

    I long ago passed the point where it was physically possible for me to
    have paper copies of all the documentation I have to read. So it's
    either online or nothing.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 11, 2005