    tia,
    -joe
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/
    joe, Mar 1, 2005

  2. joe

    Doug G Guest

    joe wrote:

    > I tried using my Search on Windows XP Pro and couldn't find the Bookmarks
    > for Mozilla Firefox.
    >
    > Where is it? I'd like to put them in my Favorites folder on the Start Menu.
    >
    > NOTE: I did try the Export option, but it puts them into another folder
    > which is one more step I am trying to avoid.
    >
    > I guess what I want is my Firefox Bookmarks to be copied into my Windows
    > Favorites folder just as Windows does it.
    >
    > tia,
    > -joe
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    If you haven't told Windows to show hidden files and folders, see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/tips/personalize/hiddenfiles.asp
    Doug G, Mar 1, 2005

  3. joe

    ..brian.. Guest

    joe wrote:
    > I tried using my Search on Windows XP Pro and couldn't find the

    Bookmarks
    > for Mozilla Firefox.
    >
    > Where is it? I'd like to put them in my Favorites folder on the Start

    Menu.

    > NOTE: I did try the Export option, but it puts them into another

    folder
    > which is one more step I am trying to avoid.
    >
    > I guess what I want is my Firefox Bookmarks to be copied into my

    Windows
    > Favorites folder just as Windows does it.
    >
    > tia,
    > -joe
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    That's not the way Firefox operates. Your bookmarks are located in
    your profile in the bookmarks.html file. It is not a hidden file.

    You can easily accomplish what you are trying to do with an extension
    called Favorites Converter. Click "Get more extensions" and view the
    "Bookmarks" sections to get it.

    After you install it there will be a new option in your Bookmarks menu
    labeled Favorites Converter. Your bookmarks will be copied to your
    favorites every time you close Firefox. I don't think it gets much
    "one less step" than that <g>.
    --
    Brian
    ..brian.., Mar 1, 2005
  4. Re: Bookmarks? OT, Welcome Doug

    Doug G wrote:
    > joe wrote:
    >
    >> I tried using my Search on Windows XP Pro and couldn't find the
    >> Bookmarks for Mozilla Firefox.
    >>
    >> Where is it? I'd like to put them in my Favorites folder on the Start
    >> Menu.
    >>
    >> NOTE: I did try the Export option, but it puts them into another
    >> folder which is one more step I am trying to avoid.
    >>
    >> I guess what I want is my Firefox Bookmarks to be copied into my
    >> Windows Favorites folder just as Windows does it.
    >>
    >> tia,
    >> -joe
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    > If you haven't told Windows to show hidden files and folders, see
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/tips/personalize/hiddenfiles.asp

    Hey Doug Welcome!

    When did you make the jump to moz 1.7.5, i thought you were an exclusive
    Netscape guy?

    Anyhow, great to have you here.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 1, 2005
  5. joe

    joe Guest

    "..brian.." <> wrote in message

    > joe wrote:
    >> I tried using my Search on Windows XP Pro and couldn't find the

    > Bookmarks
    >> for Mozilla Firefox.
    >>
    >> Where is it? I'd like to put them in my Favorites folder on the Start

    > Menu.
    >>
    >> NOTE: I did try the Export option, but it puts them into another

    > folder
    >> which is one more step I am trying to avoid.
    >>
    >> I guess what I want is my Firefox Bookmarks to be copied into my

    > Windows
    >> Favorites folder just as Windows does it.
    >>
    >> tia,
    >> -joe
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    > That's not the way Firefox operates. Your bookmarks are located in
    > your profile in the bookmarks.html file. It is not a hidden file.
    >
    > You can easily accomplish what you are trying to do with an extension
    > called Favorites Converter. Click "Get more extensions" and view the
    > "Bookmarks" sections to get it.
    >
    > After you install it there will be a new option in your Bookmarks menu
    > labeled Favorites Converter. Your bookmarks will be copied to your
    > favorites every time you close Firefox. I don't think it gets much
    > "one less step" than that <g>.
    > --
    > Brian

    I checked all menus in Firefox and couldn't find "Get More Extensions."
    However I looked in the HELP tab and followed your general directions and
    found and installed it... even after the warning :/

    HELP -> Help Contents F1 -> Index -> Extensions -> Getting and Installing
    Extensions -> Mozilla Update -> All Extensions -> Bookmarks

    After restarting Mozilla Firefox no such "Favorites Converter" was present.
    Nice try Brian... I thought you had it.

    say hi to Peter :)

    joe, Mar 1, 2005
  6. joe

    joe Guest

    "joe" <> wrote in message
    > "..brian.." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> joe wrote:
    >>> I tried using my Search on Windows XP Pro and couldn't find the

    >> Bookmarks
    >>> for Mozilla Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Where is it? I'd like to put them in my Favorites folder on the Start

    >> Menu.
    >>>
    >>> NOTE: I did try the Export option, but it puts them into another

    >> folder
    >>> which is one more step I am trying to avoid.
    >>>
    >>> I guess what I want is my Firefox Bookmarks to be copied into my

    >> Windows
    >>> Favorites folder just as Windows does it.
    >>>
    >>> tia,
    >>> -joe
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    >> That's not the way Firefox operates. Your bookmarks are located in
    >> your profile in the bookmarks.html file. It is not a hidden file.
    >>
    >> You can easily accomplish what you are trying to do with an extension
    >> called Favorites Converter. Click "Get more extensions" and view the
    >> "Bookmarks" sections to get it.
    >>
    >> After you install it there will be a new option in your Bookmarks menu
    >> labeled Favorites Converter. Your bookmarks will be copied to your
    >> favorites every time you close Firefox. I don't think it gets much
    >> "one less step" than that <g>.
    >> --
    >> Brian
    >>

    > I checked all menus in Firefox and couldn't find "Get More Extensions."
    > However I looked in the HELP tab and followed your general directions and
    > found and installed it... even after the warning :/
    >
    > HELP -> Help Contents F1 -> Index -> Extensions -> Getting and Installing
    > Extensions -> Mozilla Update -> All Extensions -> Bookmarks
    >
    > After restarting Mozilla Firefox no such "Favorites Converter" was
    > present. Nice try Brian... I thought you had it.
    >
    > say hi to Peter :)
    >
    > --
    > joe
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    Shame I can't edit what I previously figured out. "Get More Extensions"
    appeared in a popup window _after_ I downloaded another extension "Bandwidth
    Tester."

    Ok. I went to check the name of BT and indeed that's it. But by clicking on
    "Bookmarks" on the page: https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/
    "Favorites Converter" et. al. should have showed up. On the first attempt
    they didn't. So my previous post: "HELP -> ... -> Bookmarks" will get you
    there. Just make sure the "Favorites Converter" shows up when you click it.

    My apologies to you Brian and thanks for the answer.

    joe, Mar 1, 2005
  7. joe

    ..brian.. Guest

    joe wrote:
    > "joe" <> wrote in message
    > > "..brian.." <> wrote in message

    > >> Bookmarks

    Start
    > >> Menu.

    > >> folder

    > >> Windows

    > >> That's not the way Firefox operates. Your bookmarks are located

    in
    > >> your profile in the bookmarks.html file. It is not a hidden file.
    > >>
    > >> You can easily accomplish what you are trying to do with an

    extension
    > >> called Favorites Converter. Click "Get more extensions" and view

    the
    > >> "Bookmarks" sections to get it.
    > >>
    > >> After you install it there will be a new option in your Bookmarks

    menu
    > >> labeled Favorites Converter. Your bookmarks will be copied to

    your
    > >> favorites every time you close Firefox. I don't think it gets

    much
    > >> "one less step" than that <g>.
    > >> --
    > >> Brian
    > >>

    > > I checked all menus in Firefox and couldn't find "Get More

    Extensions."
    > > However I looked in the HELP tab and followed your general

    directions and
    > > found and installed it... even after the warning :/
    > >
    > > HELP -> Help Contents F1 -> Index -> Extensions -> Getting and

    Installing
    > > Extensions -> Mozilla Update -> All Extensions -> Bookmarks
    > >
    > > After restarting Mozilla Firefox no such "Favorites Converter" was
    > > present. Nice try Brian... I thought you had it.
    > >
    > > say hi to Peter :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > joe
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/
    > >

    > Shame I can't edit what I previously figured out. "Get More

    Extensions"
    > appeared in a popup window _after_ I downloaded another extension

    "Bandwidth
    > Tester."
    >
    > Ok. I went to check the name of BT and indeed that's it. But by

    clicking on
    > "Bookmarks" on the page:

    https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/
    > "Favorites Converter" et. al. should have showed up. On the first

    attempt
    > they didn't. So my previous post: "HELP -> ... -> Bookmarks" will get

    you
    > there. Just make sure the "Favorites Converter" shows up when you

    click it.

    > My apologies to you Brian and thanks for the answer.

    So does the Favorites Converter extension do what you want?

    "Get more extensions" shows up when you click Tools >> Extensions, and
    it's located at the bottom right corner. When you click on the link,
    the Mozilla extension page will open up. I should have explained that,
    but assume it's common knowledge sometimes.

    Also, sometimes the install file is located somewhere other than
    http://updates.mozilla.org and Firefox will not allow you to install
    from that source until you click on the click on the options button on
    that bar, and then "allow" that site (if you trust it). So if an
    extension doesn't install, look for the bar at the top of your window.
    --
    Brian
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050224
    ..brian.., Mar 2, 2005
  8. joe

    joe Guest

    "..brian.." <> wrote in message

    > joe wrote:
    >> "joe" <> wrote in message
    >> > "..brian.." <> wrote in message

    > Start

    > in

    > extension

    > the

    > menu

    > your

    > much
    >> >>

    >> > I checked all menus in Firefox and couldn't find "Get More

    > Extensions."
    >> > However I looked in the HELP tab and followed your general

    > directions and
    >> > found and installed it... even after the warning :/
    >> >
    >> > HELP -> Help Contents F1 -> Index -> Extensions -> Getting and

    > Installing
    >> > Extensions -> Mozilla Update -> All Extensions -> Bookmarks
    >> >
    >> > After restarting Mozilla Firefox no such "Favorites Converter" was
    >> > present. Nice try Brian... I thought you had it.
    >> >
    >> > say hi to Peter :)
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > joe
    >> > http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/
    >> >

    >> Shame I can't edit what I previously figured out. "Get More

    > Extensions"
    >> appeared in a popup window _after_ I downloaded another extension

    > "Bandwidth
    >> Tester."
    >>
    >> Ok. I went to check the name of BT and indeed that's it. But by

    > clicking on
    >> "Bookmarks" on the page:

    > https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/
    >> "Favorites Converter" et. al. should have showed up. On the first

    > attempt
    >> they didn't. So my previous post: "HELP -> ... -> Bookmarks" will get

    > you
    >> there. Just make sure the "Favorites Converter" shows up when you

    > click it.
    >>
    >> My apologies to you Brian and thanks for the answer.
    >>

    > So does the Favorites Converter extension do what you want?
    >
    > "Get more extensions" shows up when you click Tools >> Extensions, and
    > it's located at the bottom right corner. When you click on the link,
    > the Mozilla extension page will open up. I should have explained that,
    > but assume it's common knowledge sometimes.
    >
    > Also, sometimes the install file is located somewhere other than
    > http://updates.mozilla.org and Firefox will not allow you to install
    > from that source until you click on the click on the options button on
    > that bar, and then "allow" that site (if you trust it). So if an
    > extension doesn't install, look for the bar at the top of your window.
    > --
    > Brian
    > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050224
    > Firefox/1.0.1
    > 20:00:33 up 7:51 min, 2 users, load average: 0.16, 0.18, 0.12

    It did _exactly_ what I wanted.

    I am a fan of Firefox now.

    Pre-Firefox Install:
    The problem occurred when I dl'd what I thought were free screensavers
    (nothing worth having in this world is free). Nope. They brought with them a
    plethora of popups, spyware, trojans, et.al. that my machine almost stopped
    working when I clicked on IE6. I resolved the problem when I bought ~$150
    worth of anit-spyware software. (PC Tools Registry Doctor and Spyware Doctor
    fixwed my problem... and while I am at it CA's eTrust anti-virus app rocks).
    However everytime I start up IE6 (some sites - uninlightened sites :) don't
    recognize Mozilla so I am stuck using the remnant of Bill Gates monopolistic
    hold on the entire computer industry. "Avenue A, Inc." is apparently a giant
    corporation dedicated to invading your privay. An aside: if junk mail is
    illegal why isn't spyware and adware???

    Firfox Install:
    I asked someone who was considered the top problem in the computer industry
    15 years ago said that Mozilla's Firefox is the best. I dl'd the version for
    Windows (of course - see above comment about Mr. Gates' ownership of all
    computers - you know you STILL can't buy a computer with an os _other than_
    Windows?!) and it has proved itself over and over again.

    Presently:
    I have started collecting bookmarks again and deleted my MS WinX (wonder
    where he got the 'x' from? linuX, uniX, MacX??? hmmmm... he's so original)
    Favorites (who knows what evil lurks in MS Favs?) and converted them easily
    to the Favrites file... thanks to God's grace through ..brian..

    Future:
    I am running some unix version and never see anything MS again... I've been
    wishig that for 10 years. (I am an avid 3D game player - while the linux
    game list is growing it is nothing compared to the dominance of Windows
    supported games.)

    NB: VMware allows you to run a unixese os and make Windows an application.
    However, WinX does not crash as often as it's syblings.

    Thanks again ..brian..

    joe, Mar 3, 2005
  9. joe

    joe Guest

    "joe" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > an os _other than_ Windows?!) and it has proved itself over and over
    > again.
    >
    > Presently:
    > I have started collecting bookmarks again and deleted my MS WinX (wonder
    > where he got the 'x' from? linuX, uniX, MacX??? hmmmm... he's so original)
    > Favorites (who knows what evil lurks in MS Favs?) and converted them
    > easily to the Favrites file... thanks to God's grace through ..brian..
    >
    > Future:
    > I am running some unix version and never see anything MS again... I've
    > been wishig that for 10 years. (I am an avid 3D game player - while the
    > linux game list is growing it is nothing compared to the dominance of
    > Windows supported games.)
    >
    > NB: VMware allows you to run a unixese os and make Windows an application.
    > However, WinX does not crash as often as it's syblings.

    NB: Firefox took much longer to open and close than when I didn't have the
    "Bandwidth Tester" so I uninstalled it and things are back to normal.

    joe, Mar 3, 2005
  10. joe

    ..brian.. Guest

    joe wrote:

    > NB: Firefox took much longer to open and close than when I didn't

    have the
    > "Bandwidth Tester" so I uninstalled it and things are back to normal.

    I wasn't too impressed with the results Bandwidth Tester provided. I
    removed it shortly after installing it since the results were pretty
    much useless. I usually use one of the tests from a SpeakEasy server:

    [http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest]

    The only problem with Favorites Converter is that it will overwrite
    *all* of your existing IE favorites when you use it. If this is a
    problem, the user needs to create a new folder in IE favorites first,
    say "Firefox Bookmarks", and tell the Favorites Converter extension to
    use that folder to put the Bookmarks in.
    --
    Brian
    ..brian.., Mar 4, 2005
  11. joe

    Justin Guest

    Justin, Mar 9, 2005
  12. joe

    Joe Cool

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    Messages:
    4
    How can I get this "add on", so my Bookmarks will show up in my Favorites?

    Also how do I even find my Bookmarks?

    I can find my Favorites in My Computer.

    Also, does anyone know where I can learn to use my Bookmarks?

    I can't organize them the way I want.

    Also, when I go Spacebattles.com and other sites, sometimes it won't open pages, and it will try to download the page but says I don't have the program to open the file... than later it will open the page like normal....

    I'm used to IE, so any help would be appreciated!

    One thing I do like is the spell check, though it ain't perfect.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
    Joe Cool, Jul 3, 2007
  13. joe

    Joe Cool