    file as Mozilla until I did some cleaning in the (assumed IMPORTED)
    7.2 file and then saw my Mozilla bookmarks gone. I'd REALLY like to
    have two completely separate bookmark files for these two browsers.TIA

    cover, Jan 26, 2005

  2. cover wrote:
    > I have Mozilla installed AND Netscape 7.2 on the same machine. Is
    > there a way to keep the bookmark files separate? I just installed
    > Netscape 7.2 and didn't realize that it was using the same bookmark
    > file as Mozilla until I did some cleaning in the (assumed IMPORTED)
    > 7.2 file and then saw my Mozilla bookmarks gone. I'd REALLY like to
    > have two completely separate bookmark files for these two browsers.TIA

    *WARNING*

    If you are experiencing this problem, you are most likely sharing the
    same profile between mozilla and netscape. This is very dangerous, as
    it can cause profile corruption and loss of data.

    Decide which app you want to use most of the time, and allow it to use
    the main profile. Just don't switch back and forth between the two in
    the same profile.

    Sonce you've beeen using Mozila, you probably want to keep that as your
    main app.

    Open the other app's Profile Manager. Start>>Programs>>Netscape
    7.2>>Profile Manager

    Create a new profile for use in Netscape. This will come with a default
    bookmarks file. You can then use Bookmarks Manager to impoort bookmarks
    from other sources.

    Get these two apps set up with separate profiles now. Its important.

    Once you have done that , there is a nice little feature of Mozilla's
    Bookmarks Manager. In File>>Open Bookmarks File, you can select any html
    file to be used as your bookmarks. If you have set up differnet
    bookmarks for different purposes, you can change from one file to
    another easily.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2005

  3. cover

    Drude Guest

    > *WARNING*
    >
    > If you are experiencing this problem, you are most likely sharing the same
    > profile between mozilla and netscape. This is very dangerous, as it can
    > cause profile corruption and loss of data.
    >
    > Decide which app you want to use most of the time, and allow it to use the
    > main profile. Just don't switch back and forth between the two in the
    > same profile.
    >
    > Sonce you've beeen using Mozila, you probably want to keep that as your
    > main app.
    >
    > Open the other app's Profile Manager. Start>>Programs>>Netscape
    > 7.2>>Profile Manager
    >
    > Create a new profile for use in Netscape. This will come with a default
    > bookmarks file. You can then use Bookmarks Manager to impoort bookmarks
    > from other sources.
    >
    > Get these two apps set up with separate profiles now. Its important.
    >
    > Once you have done that , there is a nice little feature of Mozilla's
    > Bookmarks Manager. In File>>Open Bookmarks File, you can select any html
    > file to be used as your bookmarks. If you have set up differnet bookmarks
    > for different purposes, you can change from one file to another easily.
    >
    > Lee

    Sorry...I only use FireFox and have no other Netscape or Mozilla programs on
    my computer...not even Thunderbird.

    Drude

    Drude, Jan 26, 2005
  4. cover

    Drude Guest

    > Sorry...I only use FireFox and have no other Netscape or Mozilla programs
    > on my computer...not even Thunderbird.
    >
    > Drude

    Sorry...just realized I replied to the wrong post....

    Drude, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Drude wrote:
    >>Sorry...I only use FireFox and have no other Netscape or Mozilla programs
    >>on my computer...not even Thunderbird.
    >>
    >>Drude

    > Sorry...just realized I replied to the wrong post....
    >

    >>Drude

    I was just going to say.... ;)

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2005
  6. cover

    Drude Guest

    "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Drude wrote:
    >>>Sorry...I only use FireFox and have no other Netscape or Mozilla programs
    >>>on my computer...not even Thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>>Drude

    >> Sorry...just realized I replied to the wrong post....
    >>

    >>>Drude

    > I was just going to say.... ;)
    >
    > Lee

    Me not smart. :p

    Drude, Jan 26, 2005
  7. cover

    Nick D. Guest

    > cover wrote:
    > > I have Mozilla installed AND Netscape 7.2 on the same machine. Is
    > > there a way to keep the bookmark files separate? I just installed
    > > Netscape 7.2 and didn't realize that it was using the same bookmark
    > > file as Mozilla until I did some cleaning in the (assumed IMPORTED)
    > > 7.2 file and then saw my Mozilla bookmarks gone. I'd REALLY like to
    > > have two completely separate bookmark files for these two browsers.TIA

    > *WARNING*
    >
    > If you are experiencing this problem, you are most likely sharing the
    > same profile between mozilla and netscape. This is very dangerous, as
    > it can cause profile corruption and loss of data.
    >
    > Decide which app you want to use most of the time, and allow it to use
    > the main profile. Just don't switch back and forth between the two in
    > the same profile.
    >
    > Sonce you've beeen using Mozila, you probably want to keep that as your
    > main app.
    >
    > Open the other app's Profile Manager. Start>>Programs>>Netscape
    > 7.2>>Profile Manager
    >
    > Create a new profile for use in Netscape. This will come with a default
    > bookmarks file. You can then use Bookmarks Manager to impoort bookmarks
    > from other sources.
    >
    > Get these two apps set up with separate profiles now. Its important.
    >
    > Once you have done that , there is a nice little feature of Mozilla's
    > Bookmarks Manager. In File>>Open Bookmarks File, you can select any html
    > file to be used as your bookmarks. If you have set up differnet
    > bookmarks for different purposes, you can change from one file to
    > another easily.
    >
    > Lee

    I just downloaded Firefox and haven't installed it yet. Just reading
    through this group looking for problems, tips, etc. Is the bookmark
    problem in this thread going to occur if I have IE and Firefox on the same
    computer?

    Nick D., Jan 27, 2005
  8. Nick D. wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>cover wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have Mozilla installed AND Netscape 7.2 on the same machine. Is
    >>>there a way to keep the bookmark files separate? I just installed
    >>>Netscape 7.2 and didn't realize that it was using the same bookmark
    >>>file as Mozilla until I did some cleaning in the (assumed IMPORTED)
    >>>7.2 file and then saw my Mozilla bookmarks gone. I'd REALLY like to
    >>>have two completely separate bookmark files for these two browsers.TIA

    >>*WARNING*
    >>
    >>If you are experiencing this problem, you are most likely sharing the
    >>same profile between mozilla and netscape. This is very dangerous, as
    >>it can cause profile corruption and loss of data.
    >>
    >>Decide which app you want to use most of the time, and allow it to use
    >>the main profile. Just don't switch back and forth between the two in
    >>the same profile.
    >>
    >>Sonce you've beeen using Mozila, you probably want to keep that as your
    >>main app.
    >>
    >>Open the other app's Profile Manager. Start>>Programs>>Netscape
    >>7.2>>Profile Manager
    >>
    >>Create a new profile for use in Netscape. This will come with a default
    >>bookmarks file. You can then use Bookmarks Manager to impoort bookmarks
    >>from other sources.
    >>
    >>Get these two apps set up with separate profiles now. Its important.
    >>
    >>Once you have done that , there is a nice little feature of Mozilla's
    >>Bookmarks Manager. In File>>Open Bookmarks File, you can select any html
    >>file to be used as your bookmarks. If you have set up differnet
    >>bookmarks for different purposes, you can change from one file to
    >>another easily.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > I just downloaded Firefox and haven't installed it yet. Just reading
    > through this group looking for problems, tips, etc. Is the bookmark
    > problem in this thread going to occur if I have IE and Firefox on the same
    > computer?

    First of all, I haven't experienced any bookmarks problems in Firefox.
    Others have, but certainly not everyone.

    Firefox and IE can certainly coexist on the same machine. All my
    Windows machines have both, sicne you really can;t get rid of IE, nor
    should you on a supported windows OS. Its necessary for Windows Update
    to function, if nothing else.

    If you have been using IE as your default browser, when you install
    Firefox, it will offer to import your settings from IE. Among that will
    be your IE Favorites. Once imported, your IE favorites will still be
    available in IE, separate from the imported file in FF.

    If you do have any bookmarks problems in FF, your favorites in IE will
    still be there.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 27, 2005
  9. cover

    Stephen Guest

    Nick D. wrote:
    > I just downloaded Firefox and haven't installed it yet. Just reading
    > through this group looking for problems, tips, etc. Is the bookmark
    > problem in this thread going to occur if I have IE and Firefox on the same
    > computer?

    No. Firefox uses a single bookmarks.html file whereas IE uses a
    Favorites directory of shortcuts. You can copy bookmarks between the
    programs but they remain separate.

    --
    Regards,

    Stephen