    and drag things there, but all I can drag is a Bookmarks Folder. I want the
    individual bookmarks to show up. Can this be done? Thanks.

    , Dec 21, 2006

  2. On 12/21/2006 12:27 AM, wrote:
    > I'm trying to get Firefox to look like and work like Netscape. I'd like to have
    > my most used bookmarks, abut twelve of them, in a toolbar under the navigation
    > bar. So far I can't figure out how. I can see that I can create a new toolbar
    > and drag things there, but all I can drag is a Bookmarks Folder. I want the
    > individual bookmarks to show up. Can this be done? Thanks.

    You can create a new folder in the bookmarks toolbar folder and place
    your recently used bookmarks in that folder.

    --

    http://home.earthlink.net/~mumia.w.18.spam/

    Mumia W. (on aioe), Dec 21, 2006

  3. Rom Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:27:24 -0500, wrote:

    > I'm trying to get Firefox to look like and work like Netscape. I'd like to have
    > my most used bookmarks, abut twelve of them, in a toolbar under the navigation
    > bar. So far I can't figure out how. I can see that I can create a new toolbar
    > and drag things there, but all I can drag is a Bookmarks Folder. I want the
    > individual bookmarks to show up. Can this be done? Thanks.

    The Bookmarks Toolbar should display by default, which can be enabled
    and disabled by [un]checking "View > Toolbars > Bookmarks Toolbar".

    With the Bookmarks Toolbar displayed drop down the Bookmarks menu
    list, locate one of the bookmarks you want on the Bookmarks Toolbar
    and drag the bookmark to the Bookmarks Toolbar.
    Alternatively, go to "Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks...", where you
    can either drag or cut/copy bookmark(s) and drop or paste to the
    "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Dec 21, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:46:05 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:27:24 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to get Firefox to look like and work like Netscape. I'd like to have
    >> my most used bookmarks, abut twelve of them, in a toolbar under the navigation
    >> bar. So far I can't figure out how. I can see that I can create a new toolbar
    >> and drag things there, but all I can drag is a Bookmarks Folder. I want the
    >> individual bookmarks to show up. Can this be done? Thanks.

    >The Bookmarks Toolbar should display by default, which can be enabled
    >and disabled by [un]checking "View > Toolbars > Bookmarks Toolbar".
    >
    >With the Bookmarks Toolbar displayed drop down the Bookmarks menu
    >list, locate one of the bookmarks you want on the Bookmarks Toolbar
    >and drag the bookmark to the Bookmarks Toolbar.
    >Alternatively, go to "Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks...", where you
    >can either drag or cut/copy bookmark(s) and drop or paste to the
    >"Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".

    Thanks. I'm still having trouble, Here' where I't at:

    I have about thirty folders of bookmarks. i.e. Baseball, Football, Banking,
    Music, and on and on. When I enable the Bookmark Toolbar, all of those folders
    appear. I don't want all those folders to show up. I only want specific
    bookmarks across the top, maybe 10 or 12 of them, such as Google, eBay, and some
    others I use day to day. True, I can click and drag them or copy and paste them
    to the Bookmarks Toolbar, but I still have all the other folders there as well.

    I made the big mistake of trying to delete one of the folders from the toolbar
    by right clicking then deleting. The folder and the bookmarks inside it
    disappeared completely. I can't find them at all, and they're not in the trash
    bin. That made me real happy.

    The I tried creating a custon toolbar, and called it custom toolbar. It opens up
    but it has to have something immediately placed in it or it disappears when I
    close the box I made it with. So I dragged the Print icon into it. Okay, it
    stays in place as a tool bar. But then I try to click and drag, or copy and
    paste the icons for the bookmarks I want into it, but they won't go there. I can
    only get them into the Bookmark Toolbar and I've already mentioned the problem I
    have with all the other folkders being there. As far as I can see, unless I'm
    really overlooking something, this Firefox is not as user friendly as Netscape
    is to organize my bookmarks and their display the way I want them.

    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.

    , Dec 22, 2006
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:46:05 +1100, Rom <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:27:24 -0500, wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm trying to get Firefox to look like and work like Netscape. I'd like to have
    > >> my most used bookmarks, abut twelve of them, in a toolbar under the navigation
    > >> bar. So far I can't figure out how. I can see that I can create a new toolbar
    > >> and drag things there, but all I can drag is a Bookmarks Folder. I want the
    > >> individual bookmarks to show up. Can this be done? Thanks.

    > >The Bookmarks Toolbar should display by default, which can be enabled
    > >and disabled by [un]checking "View > Toolbars > Bookmarks Toolbar".
    > >
    > >With the Bookmarks Toolbar displayed drop down the Bookmarks menu
    > >list, locate one of the bookmarks you want on the Bookmarks Toolbar
    > >and drag the bookmark to the Bookmarks Toolbar.
    > >Alternatively, go to "Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks...", where you
    > >can either drag or cut/copy bookmark(s) and drop or paste to the
    > >"Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".

    > Thanks. I'm still having trouble, Here' where I't at:
    >
    > I have about thirty folders of bookmarks. i.e. Baseball, Football, Banking,
    > Music, and on and on. When I enable the Bookmark Toolbar, all of those folders
    > appear. I don't want all those folders to show up. I only want specific
    > bookmarks across the top, maybe 10 or 12 of them, such as Google, eBay, and some
    > others I use day to day. True, I can click and drag them or copy and paste them
    > to the Bookmarks Toolbar, but I still have all the other folders there as well.
    >
    > I made the big mistake of trying to delete one of the folders from the toolbar
    > by right clicking then deleting. The folder and the bookmarks inside it
    > disappeared completely. I can't find them at all, and they're not in the trash
    > bin. That made me real happy.
    >
    > The I tried creating a custon toolbar, and called it custom toolbar. It opens up
    > but it has to have something immediately placed in it or it disappears when I
    > close the box I made it with. So I dragged the Print icon into it. Okay, it
    > stays in place as a tool bar. But then I try to click and drag, or copy and
    > paste the icons for the bookmarks I want into it, but they won't go there. I can
    > only get them into the Bookmark Toolbar and I've already mentioned the problem I
    > have with all the other folkders being there. As far as I can see, unless I'm
    > really overlooking something, this Firefox is not as user friendly as Netscape
    > is to organize my bookmarks and their display the way I want them.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    > Thanks.

    depending on which FF you're using, either 1.5.x or [2.x] here's what
    you do.

    Open the Bookmark Manager, click on Bookmarks, then on Manage Bookmarks
    [Organize Bookmarks]. On the left side, click on Bookmarks. Then
    click on the New Folder. This will create a new Folder under Bookmarks
    [or the Personal Toolbar Folder]. Now, move all your unwanted
    bookmarks and bookmark folders into this new area.

    Now, to access these when you want to, from the FF menu, click on
    Bookmarks, and you can access them from here. They will not show up on
    the bookmark toolbar.

    , Dec 22, 2006
  6. On 12/21/2006 06:59 PM, wrote:

    > Thanks. I'm still having trouble, Here' where I't at:
    >
    > I have about thirty folders of bookmarks. i.e. Baseball, Football, Banking,
    > Music, and on and on. When I enable the Bookmark Toolbar, all of those folders
    > appear. I don't want all those folders to show up. I only want specific
    > bookmarks across the top, maybe 10 or 12 of them, such as Google, eBay, and some
    > others I use day to day. True, I can click and drag them or copy and paste them
    > to the Bookmarks Toolbar, but I still have all the other folders there as well.
    > [...]

    Use the bookmarks manager to create a sub-folder of the bookmarks
    toolbar folder; name it "Often Used."

    Then move all of the bookmark folders (except "Often Used") out of the
    toolbar folder to somewhere else in the bookmarks manager. Then
    bookmarks that you use often would go into the "Often Used" folder.

    I have a lot of bookmark folders too, but only one of them is in the
    bookmarks toolbar folder.

    --

    http://home.earthlink.net/~mumia.w.18.spam/

    Mumia W. (on aioe), Dec 22, 2006
  7. Rom Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:59:36 -0500, wrote:

    > Thanks. I'm still having trouble, Here' where I't at:
    >
    > I have about thirty folders of bookmarks. i.e. Baseball, Football, Banking,
    > Music, and on and on. When I enable the Bookmark Toolbar, all of those folders
    > appear. I don't want all those folders to show up. I only want specific
    > bookmarks across the top, maybe 10 or 12 of them, such as Google, eBay, and some
    > others I use day to day. True, I can click and drag them or copy and paste them
    > to the Bookmarks Toolbar, but I still have all the other folders there as well.

    Sounds like all the folders of bookmarks are _in_ the "Bookmarks
    Toolbar Folder", instead of just the specific individual bookmarks
    wanted to display on the Bookmarks Toolbar.

    Bookmarks Manager (Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks...) has two panes.
    In the left pane select the folder named "Bookmarks", and if all your
    folders of bookmarks are nested under the "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder"
    in the right pane with the "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" expanded, like:

    [-] (folder) Bookmarks Toolbar Folder
    [+] (folder) Baseball
    [+] (folder) Football
    [+] (folder) Banking
    [+] (folder) Music

    then the folders of bookmarks need to be moved out (drag/cut) of the
    "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" so the right pane looks like:

    [-] (folder) Bookmarks Toolbar Folder
    [+] (folder) Baseball
    [+] (folder) Football
    [+] (folder) Banking
    [+] (folder) Music

    All these folders of bookmarks should then also now display in the
    left pane of the Bookmarks Manager nested under "Bookmarks", like:

    [-] (folder) Bookmarks
    [+] (folder) Bookmarks Toolbar Folder
    [+] (folder) Baseball
    [+] (folder) Football
    [+] (folder) Banking
    [+] (folder) Music

    Now from the right pane of Bookmarks Manager locate specific
    individual bookmarks (Google, eBay, etc.) then drag or cut/copy and
    paste them into and under the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder, like:

    [-] (folder) Bookmarks Toolbar Folder
    |-(page) Google
    |-(page) eBay
    |-(page) etc.

    > I made the big mistake of trying to delete one of the folders from the toolbar
    > by right clicking then deleting. The folder and the bookmarks inside it
    > disappeared completely. I can't find them at all, and they're not in the trash
    > bin. That made me real happy.

    You may have backup(s) of the bookmarks.html file in your Profiles
    folder (bookmarks.bak file and others in the bookmarkbackups folder)
    <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile>, or perhaps you
    have your own backup.

    --
    Rom