Bookmarks not playing nice

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by MEow, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. MEow

    MEow Guest

    Hi all.

    I've used Mozilla for a few years now, and I'm thrilled with it.

    However, when I had to switch to another computer, I got problems with
    my bookmarks: I saved the .exe file and the bookmarks before switching,
    as I've set the bookmarks aside and put them back in after a reinstall,
    with no problems. Installing went fine, as it should, but when I then
    deleted the default bookmarks and set in my own ones, my bookmarks
    didn't show on the browser, and when I open the file with bookmarks, it
    just shows the ones which are always there, despite that the size have
    changed from 2 to 5 kb.

    Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to get my bookmarks back, or
    have I lost them?

    I use Mozilla 1.7.2 if it makes any difference.

    Thanks in advance,
    Nikitta
    MEow, Dec 20, 2004

  2. MEow

    Splibbilla Guest

    MEow <> in news::

    []
    > However, when I had to switch to another computer, I got problems with
    > my bookmarks: I saved the .exe file

    exe file? you mean mozilla.exe?

    >and the bookmarks before switching,
    > as I've set the bookmarks aside and put them back in after a reinstall,
    > with no problems. Installing went fine, as it should, but when I then
    > deleted the default bookmarks and set in my own ones, my bookmarks
    > didn't show on the browser, and when I open the file with bookmarks, it
    > just shows the ones which are always there, despite that the size have
    > changed from 2 to 5 kb.

    sounds as if you'd also see the time/date change too.

    > Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to get my bookmarks back, or
    > have I lost them?

    long ago Netscape 3, I discovered how easy it was to mysteriously blow away bookmarks. and it seems Moz retains that
    'feature' :) I recently blew away my collection of computer bookmarks.

    imo, the best way to deal with this is too backup often. simplest: drag a copy of your bookmarks file or files to another folder.
    Splibbilla, Dec 21, 2004

  3. MEow

    MEow Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:
    > MEow <> in news::
    >
    > []
    >
    >>However, when I had to switch to another computer, I got problems with
    >>my bookmarks: I saved the .exe file

    > exe file? you mean mozilla.exe?

    Yeah. I saved the .exe files of the programs I wanted to keep when
    switching to the new computer. Transferring things from one computer to
    the other could not be done for different reasons.

    [snip]

    > sounds as if you'd also see the time/date change too.

    That there was.

    >>Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to get my bookmarks back, or
    >>have I lost them?

    > long ago Netscape 3, I discovered how easy it was to mysteriously blow away bookmarks. and it seems Moz retains that
    > 'feature' :) I recently blew away my collection of computer bookmarks.
    >
    > imo, the best way to deal with this is too backup often. simplest: drag a copy of your bookmarks file or files to another folder.

    That's pretty much what I did, only onto a CD this time, due to
    switching and all, but since saving them elsewhere on my computer has
    worked fine for me before and it looked okay I didn't double check the
    bookmarks on the cd before now. It seems that even they look like just
    standard mozilla bookmarks which really puzzles me as it changed the
    date, and the size went from 2 to 5 kb. Odd that! Colour me baffled!

    Well, seems I've just lost all of my bookmarks, so I'll have to start
    all over again with them...

    Kind Regards,
    Nikitta
    MEow, Dec 21, 2004