Bookmarks gone walkabout in SeaMonkey

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Charani, Apr 20, 2009.

  1. Charani

    Charani Guest

    Some two thirds of my bookmarks suddenly vanished last night for no
    apparent reason.

    I'd been looking at a site I've used dozens of times before (IMDB),
    closed SeaMonkey, opened it again a few minutes later to check another
    site (BBC News) - and suddenly realised that most of my bookmarks
    weren't there any more.

    I had hoped they'd be back this morning when I booted up but no such
    luck :((

    Any quick and easy way to get them back short of reinstalling
    SeaMonkey or changing to Firefox, please?
    Charani, Apr 20, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Charani wrote:
    > Some two thirds of my bookmarks suddenly vanished last night for no
    > apparent reason.
    >
    > I'd been looking at a site I've used dozens of times before (IMDB),
    > closed SeaMonkey, opened it again a few minutes later to check another
    > site (BBC News) - and suddenly realised that most of my bookmarks
    > weren't there any more.
    >
    > I had hoped they'd be back this morning when I booted up but no such
    > luck :((
    >
    > Any quick and easy way to get them back short of reinstalling
    > SeaMonkey or changing to Firefox, please?


    close SM, then search your hard drive for a file called
    bookmarks.bak. Once found rename it to bookmarks.html
    and place it in the SM profile directory. Did that work?

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 20, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:00:04 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > close SM, then search your hard drive for a file called
    > bookmarks.bak. Once found rename it to bookmarks.html
    > and place it in the SM profile directory. Did that work?


    The closest I can find is bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak and it's in
    Mozilla\Profiles\default\2izpohut.slt

    There's also an HTML doc in the same folder but the bookmarks aren't
    exactly the same. There are two other HTML docs in the profile both
    of which are the basic ones from when SeaMonkey is first downloaded
    and installed on a machine.
    Charani, Apr 20, 2009
    #3
  4. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:23:01 +0100, Charani wrote:

    > The closest I can find is bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak


    I tried to rename it and couldn't because a file of that name already
    exists! So, no, it didn't work :((
    Charani, Apr 20, 2009
    #4
  5. Charani wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:23:01 +0100, Charani wrote:
    >
    >> The closest I can find is bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak

    >
    > I tried to rename it and couldn't because a file of that name already
    > exists! So, no, it didn't work :((


    you need to close SM first. Rename bookmarks.html to
    bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 20, 2009
    #5
  6. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > you need to close SM first.


    It was closed.

    > Rename bookmarks.html to
    > bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak


    Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back :((
    Charani, Apr 20, 2009
    #6
  7. Charani wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> you need to close SM first.

    >
    > It was closed.
    >
    >> Rename bookmarks.html to
    >> bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak

    >
    > Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back :((


    how about bookmarks.temp? Or bookmarks anything? Do
    you see any unusual bookmark files?

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 20, 2009
    #7
  8. Charani wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> you need to close SM first.

    >
    > It was closed.
    >
    >> Rename bookmarks.html to
    >> bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak

    >
    > Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back :((


    I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
    answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
    program can save a lot of angst.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 21, 2009
    #8
  9. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Charani wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> you need to close SM first.
    >>>
    >>> It was closed.
    >>>
    >>>> Rename bookmarks.html to bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming
    >>>> the .bak
    >>>
    >>> Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back :((

    >>
    >> I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
    >> answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
    >> program can save a lot of angst.
    >>
    >> Lee

    >
    > It may not help after the fact, Lee, but it is the very best advice to
    > give. Good for you.
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.php
    >
    > I have three backup drives on my main system which store automated
    > backups from four computers on my LAN. I expect one or more of them to
    > die at some time. And I expect the drive on the main system to die
    > sometime. So, I've got three backups of critical files on USB hard
    > drives. And I periodically make DVD copies of those backups.
    >
    > Paranoid? No. Backed up? Yep!
    >
    > The last drive I bought was a 500 Gb USB drive for $80. Pretty cheap.
    > Before I had a a plan for backup and recovery I suffered a system crash.
    > It cost me a week of 8-hour (plus) days to recover. No more.
    >


    On my Mac's and my wife's, I have Time Machine doing its thing using two
    500 GB drives, and one 1 TB drive. If the main drive dies on any
    machine, I can boot from the backup, and restore everything.

    However, I have most of my most vital files stored on a 32 GB flash
    drive. Its like bringing my computer with me in my pocket. That
    includes all my email.

    The only thing is, Time Machine does not backup USB drives.

    I have the data on the flash drive backed up to three different
    locations on my home network, and the truly vital files to an internet
    backup.

    A couple of months ago, the flash drive failed. I bought a new drive,
    and restored from backup. There were a few files that were corrupted,
    but among 3 backups, I was able to restore everything easily.

    You have never been more correct, paranoid, no, backed up yes!

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 22, 2009
    #9
  10. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> Charani wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> you need to close SM first.
    >>>>
    >>>> It was closed.
    >>>>
    >>>>> Rename bookmarks.html to bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming
    >>>>> the .bak
    >>>>
    >>>> Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back :((
    >>>
    >>> I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
    >>> answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
    >>> program can save a lot of angst.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >>
    >> It may not help after the fact, Lee, but it is the very best advice to
    >> give. Good for you.
    >>
    >> http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.php
    >>
    >> I have three backup drives on my main system which store automated
    >> backups from four computers on my LAN. I expect one or more of them
    >> to die at some time. And I expect the drive on the main system to die
    >> sometime. So, I've got three backups of critical files on USB hard
    >> drives. And I periodically make DVD copies of those backups.
    >>
    >> Paranoid? No. Backed up? Yep!
    >>
    >> The last drive I bought was a 500 Gb USB drive for $80. Pretty cheap.
    >> Before I had a a plan for backup and recovery I suffered a system
    >> crash. It cost me a week of 8-hour (plus) days to recover. No more.
    >>

    >
    > On my Mac's and my wife's, I have Time Machine doing its thing using two
    > 500 GB drives, and one 1 TB drive. If the main drive dies on any
    > machine, I can boot from the backup, and restore everything.
    >
    > However, I have most of my most vital files stored on a 32 GB flash
    > drive. Its like bringing my computer with me in my pocket. That
    > includes all my email.
    >
    > The only thing is, Time Machine does not backup USB drives.
    >
    > I have the data on the flash drive backed up to three different
    > locations on my home network, and the truly vital files to an internet
    > backup.
    >
    > A couple of months ago, the flash drive failed. I bought a new drive,
    > and restored from backup. There were a few files that were corrupted,
    > but among 3 backups, I was able to restore everything easily.
    >
    > You have never been more correct, paranoid, no, backed up yes!
    >
    > Lee


    thats more than what I've done. All I've got is my SM
    password files, and my bookmarks, and thats it. I
    don't need anything else.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 22, 2009
    #10
  11. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:17:08 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > how about bookmarks.temp? Or bookmarks anything? Do
    > you see any unusual bookmark files?


    No, there are no unusual bookmark files, apart from the one with the
    triple extension which I renamed.

    All the bookmarks are HTML docs.
    Charani, Apr 22, 2009
    #11
  12. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 02:50:20 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
    > answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
    > program can save a lot of angst.


    I did have a backup because the original machine I was using had a
    reformat and I copied evrything to an external hard drive which was
    then copied onto this machine (which isn't the original). All the
    necessary files and folders were there and working until the other
    night.

    Once the reformat was done, everything was copied back onto the
    original machine from the external hard drive. It's all still on the
    latter but they won't reimport to this machine. I'm going to try with
    the original machine later but using Thunderbird and Firefox.

    If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to systematically click on
    every link in one of the HTML docs in order to recover them.
    Charani, Apr 22, 2009
    #12
  13. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 00:16:39 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > It may not help after the fact, Lee, but it is the very best advice to
    > give. Good for you.


    See my reply to Lee.
    Charani, Apr 22, 2009
    #13
  14. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>> Charani wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> you need to close SM first.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It was closed.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Rename bookmarks.html to bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming
    >>>>>> the .bak
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back :((
    >>>>
    >>>> I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
    >>>> answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
    >>>> program can save a lot of angst.
    >>>>
    >>>> Lee
    >>>
    >>> It may not help after the fact, Lee, but it is the very best advice
    >>> to give. Good for you.
    >>>
    >>> http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.php
    >>>
    >>> I have three backup drives on my main system which store automated
    >>> backups from four computers on my LAN. I expect one or more of them
    >>> to die at some time. And I expect the drive on the main system to
    >>> die sometime. So, I've got three backups of critical files on USB
    >>> hard drives. And I periodically make DVD copies of those backups.
    >>>
    >>> Paranoid? No. Backed up? Yep!
    >>>
    >>> The last drive I bought was a 500 Gb USB drive for $80. Pretty
    >>> cheap. Before I had a a plan for backup and recovery I suffered a
    >>> system crash. It cost me a week of 8-hour (plus) days to recover.
    >>> No more.
    >>>

    >>
    >> On my Mac's and my wife's, I have Time Machine doing its thing using
    >> two 500 GB drives, and one 1 TB drive. If the main drive dies on any
    >> machine, I can boot from the backup, and restore everything.
    >>
    >> However, I have most of my most vital files stored on a 32 GB flash
    >> drive. Its like bringing my computer with me in my pocket. That
    >> includes all my email.
    >>
    >> The only thing is, Time Machine does not backup USB drives.
    >>
    >> I have the data on the flash drive backed up to three different
    >> locations on my home network, and the truly vital files to an internet
    >> backup.
    >>
    >> A couple of months ago, the flash drive failed. I bought a new drive,
    >> and restored from backup. There were a few files that were corrupted,
    >> but among 3 backups, I was able to restore everything easily.
    >>
    >> You have never been more correct, paranoid, no, backed up yes!
    >>
    >> Lee

    >
    > thats more than what I've done. All I've got is my SM password files,
    > and my bookmarks, and thats it. I don't need anything else.
    >


    You don't back up your mail?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 23, 2009
    #14
  15. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>>> Charani wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >>>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> you need to close SM first.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> It was closed.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Rename bookmarks.html to bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming
    >>>>>>> the .bak
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back :((
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
    >>>>> answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
    >>>>> program can save a lot of angst.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Lee
    >>>>
    >>>> It may not help after the fact, Lee, but it is the very best advice
    >>>> to give. Good for you.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.php
    >>>>
    >>>> I have three backup drives on my main system which store automated
    >>>> backups from four computers on my LAN. I expect one or more of them
    >>>> to die at some time. And I expect the drive on the main system to
    >>>> die sometime. So, I've got three backups of critical files on USB
    >>>> hard drives. And I periodically make DVD copies of those backups.
    >>>>
    >>>> Paranoid? No. Backed up? Yep!
    >>>>
    >>>> The last drive I bought was a 500 Gb USB drive for $80. Pretty
    >>>> cheap. Before I had a a plan for backup and recovery I suffered a
    >>>> system crash. It cost me a week of 8-hour (plus) days to recover.
    >>>> No more.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> On my Mac's and my wife's, I have Time Machine doing its thing using
    >>> two 500 GB drives, and one 1 TB drive. If the main drive dies on any
    >>> machine, I can boot from the backup, and restore everything.
    >>>
    >>> However, I have most of my most vital files stored on a 32 GB flash
    >>> drive. Its like bringing my computer with me in my pocket. That
    >>> includes all my email.
    >>>
    >>> The only thing is, Time Machine does not backup USB drives.
    >>>
    >>> I have the data on the flash drive backed up to three different
    >>> locations on my home network, and the truly vital files to an
    >>> internet backup.
    >>>
    >>> A couple of months ago, the flash drive failed. I bought a new drive,
    >>> and restored from backup. There were a few files that were corrupted,
    >>> but among 3 backups, I was able to restore everything easily.
    >>>
    >>> You have never been more correct, paranoid, no, backed up yes!
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >>
    >> thats more than what I've done. All I've got is my SM password files,
    >> and my bookmarks, and thats it. I don't need anything else.
    >>

    >
    > You don't back up your mail?
    >
    > Lee


    nope! If I loose it I loose it. No big deal.
    Bookmarks and passwords are far more important than
    anything else. To me that is.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 23, 2009
    #15
  16. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Interesting. Which leads me to ask: What, other than browsing and
    > email, do you use your computer for? I create files every day that I
    > want to save. I'd be totally screwed in a system failure if I didn't
    > have all that "stuff" backed up.


    I use it for lots of things, but if it goes, then it
    goes. No big deal. My life isn't tied to a computer.
    Just like my life isn't tied to a cell phone. Never
    had one, and don't want one.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 23, 2009
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Matt O'Toole

    Bookmarks gone -- how to get them back?

    Matt O'Toole, Dec 20, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    854
    Xanophile
    Dec 22, 2004
  2. Mumia W. (reading news)

    Noscript killing bookmarks in Seamonkey 1.0.5

    Mumia W. (reading news), Sep 16, 2006, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    434
    Mumia W. (reading news)
    Sep 16, 2006
  3. justwondering

    seamonkey and bookmarks

    justwondering, Feb 5, 2007, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    618
  4. Frank Clement-Lorford

    name in To: field in Outlook has gone walkabout.

    Frank Clement-Lorford, Jul 12, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    695
    Vanguard
    Jul 12, 2007
  5. Howard

    Redhat 9 Fat32 + Ethernet gone walkabout

    Howard, Sep 17, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    470
    Howard
    Sep 18, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page