    Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Eric Aros

    Eric, May 15, 2007

  2. Eric

    Miller Guest

    *Eric* wrote on 15.05.07 04:17:
    > I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
    > all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
    > computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
    > for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
    > Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    http://www.google.com/custom?q=book...ns=mozillazine.org&sitesearch=mozillazine.org

    HTH, Miller

    Miller, May 15, 2007

  3. Eric

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
    > all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
    > computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
    > for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
    > Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric Aros

    The file is bookmarks.html. If you're using Windows the folder where it
    resides may be hidden and a search will not turn it up. See:

    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html

    As I say on that page, you should back up the entire profile, not just
    the bookmarks.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 15, 2007
  4. Eric

    Guest

    On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    > I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
    > all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
    > computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
    > for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
    > Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric Aros

    a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
    Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
    Import.

    , May 15, 2007
  5. Eric

    Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    >> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
    >> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
    >> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
    >> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
    >> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Eric Aros

    > a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
    > Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
    > Import.

    I gotta ask. Why do people keep recommending this? It's several
    needless steps when all you have to do is copy the danged bookmarks.html
    file from one folder to the other.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 16, 2007
  6. Eric

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    >>> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
    >>> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
    >>> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
    >>> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
    >>> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Eric Aros

    >> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
    >> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
    >> Import.
    >>

    > I gotta ask. Why do people keep recommending this? It's several
    > needless steps when all you have to do is copy the danged bookmarks.html
    > file from one folder to the other.

    I suspect largely because it eliminates the step where you explain to
    the inexperienced user where the profile is located. It is sufficiently
    like Save As and Open that all but the most junior of newbies is
    familiar with it (and anyone unfamiliar with Save As is unlikely to have
    found Usenet). Particular given that with a default Windows environment
    you not only have to explain where the profile is but you need to
    digress into show hidden files, etc.

    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply

    Andy Luddy, May 16, 2007
  7. Eric

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Andy Luddy wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
    >>> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
    >>> Import.
    >>>

    >> I gotta ask. Why do people keep recommending this? It's several
    >> needless steps when all you have to do is copy the danged
    >> bookmarks.html file from one folder to the other.

    > I suspect largely because it eliminates the step where you explain to
    > the inexperienced user where the profile is located. It is sufficiently
    > like Save As and Open that all but the most junior of newbies is
    > familiar with it (and anyone unfamiliar with Save As is unlikely to have
    > found Usenet). Particular given that with a default Windows environment
    > you not only have to explain where the profile is but you need to
    > digress into show hidden files, etc.

    Fair enough. I guess my approach is that it's better to teach people
    something more in the hopes that it will mean fewer basic questions
    later. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 16, 2007
  8. Eric

    Guest

    On May 16, 8:31 am, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Andy Luddy wrote:
    > > Ed Mullen wrote:

    > >> I gotta ask. Why do people keep recommending this? It's several
    > >> needless steps when all you have to do is copy the danged
    > >> bookmarks.html file from one folder to the other.

    > > I suspect largely because it eliminates the step where you explain to
    > > the inexperienced user where the profile is located. It is sufficiently
    > > like Save As and Open that all but the most junior of newbies is
    > > familiar with it (and anyone unfamiliar with Save As is unlikely to have
    > > found Usenet). Particular given that with a default Windows environment
    > > you not only have to explain where the profile is but you need to
    > > digress into show hidden files, etc.

    > Fair enough. I guess my approach is that it's better to teach people
    > something more in the hopes that it will mean fewer basic questions
    > later. ;-)

    for a newbie, File, Export is a lot better than trying to tell someone
    to locate the bookmarks.html file within your profile, and they end up
    asking these questions: Whats a profile? I couldn't find that file,
    now what? How do you unhide files?

    , May 16, 2007
  9. Eric

    Dan C Guest

    wrote:
    > On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    >> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
    >> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
    >> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
    >> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
    >> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Eric Aros

    > a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
    > Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
    > Import.

    Sorry for this lame statement: Under the File drop down
    there is no "export" choice, only import (under the print
    choices). FF 2.0.0.3

    So what am I missing?

    Thanks,

    Dan

    Dan C, May 17, 2007
  10. Dan C wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    >>> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
    >>> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
    >>> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
    >>> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
    >>> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Eric Aros

    >> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
    >> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
    >> Import.
    >>

    > Sorry for this lame statement: Under the File drop down there is no
    > "export" choice, only import (under the print choices). FF 2.0.0.3
    >
    > So what am I missing?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    Bookmarks-->Organize Bookmarks
    that puts you in the Manage Bookmarks window
    from there the File menu includes Export

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 17, 2007
  11. Eric

    Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > On May 16, 8:31 am, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >> Andy Luddy wrote:
    >>> I suspect largely because it eliminates the step where you explain to
    >>> the inexperienced user where the profile is located. It is sufficiently
    >>> like Save As and Open that all but the most junior of newbies is
    >>> familiar with it (and anyone unfamiliar with Save As is unlikely to have
    >>> found Usenet). Particular given that with a default Windows environment
    >>> you not only have to explain where the profile is but you need to
    >>> digress into show hidden files, etc.

    >> Fair enough. I guess my approach is that it's better to teach people
    >> something more in the hopes that it will mean fewer basic questions
    >> later. ;-)
    >>

    > for a newbie, File, Export is a lot better than trying to tell someone
    > to locate the bookmarks.html file within your profile, and they end up
    > asking these questions: Whats a profile? I couldn't find that file,
    > now what? How do you unhide files?

    I understand that argument. But as I said, if I take the time to point
    them to the answers once, I (hopefully) won't have to do it over and
    over again. They learn a tiny bit using the import/export thing. But,
    if they take the time to go into the detail they learn about profiles,
    OS issues, backups, etc. and they are much more equipped to handle
    future issues on their own, reducing the repetitive burden on us to
    repeat basic answers. And by pointing them to links online for answers,
    they might actually bookmark those pages and sites and turn there first
    to see if they can solve their own problem before coming to forums like
    this without thinking about it.

    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and
    he will eat for a lifetime."

    And we won't have to keep feeding him, over and over and over again.

    Besides, the export/import thing really upsets my sense of efficiency
    and the tendency for some computer users to view the PC as a hammer.
    Yes, it's a tool. No, it's not a hammer. Its usage requires a great
    deal more of the user for effectiveness.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 17, 2007
  12. Eric

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    >>> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
    >>> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
    >>> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
    >>> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
    >>> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Eric Aros

    >> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
    >> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
    >> Import.
    >>

    > Sorry for this lame statement: Under the File drop down there is no
    > "export" choice, only import (under the print choices). FF 2.0.0.3
    >
    > So what am I missing?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    Just copy the bookmarks.html file from one profile to the other. Much
    simpler operation.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 17, 2007
  13. Eric

    Miller Guest

    *Ed Mullen* wrote on 17.05.07 03:31:

    > I understand that argument. But as I said, if I take the time to point
    > them to the answers once, I (hopefully) won't have to do it over and
    > over again. They learn a tiny bit using the import/export thing. But,
    > if they take the time to go into the detail they learn about profiles,
    > OS issues, backups, etc. and they are much more equipped to handle
    > future issues on their own, reducing the repetitive burden on us to
    > repeat basic answers. And by pointing them to links online for answers,
    > they might actually bookmark those pages and sites and turn there first
    > to see if they can solve their own problem before coming to forums like
    > this without thinking about it.

    <aL82i.284046$> I reduced the answer to
    the minimum - but i can't imagine someone yet wanted to read or
    understand the enclosed links.
    So prepare to take the "repetivive burden of repeating basic answers"
    for a long long time. ;-)

    cu, Miller

    Miller, May 17, 2007
  14. Eric

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Miller wrote:
    > *Ed Mullen* wrote on 17.05.07 03:31:
    >
    >> I understand that argument. But as I said, if I take the time to point
    >> them to the answers once, I (hopefully) won't have to do it over and
    >> over again. They learn a tiny bit using the import/export thing. But,
    >> if they take the time to go into the detail they learn about profiles,
    >> OS issues, backups, etc. and they are much more equipped to handle
    >> future issues on their own, reducing the repetitive burden on us to
    >> repeat basic answers. And by pointing them to links online for answers,
    >> they might actually bookmark those pages and sites and turn there first
    >> to see if they can solve their own problem before coming to forums like
    >> this without thinking about it.

    > <aL82i.284046$> I reduced the answer to
    > the minimum - but i can't imagine someone yet wanted to read or
    > understand the enclosed links.
    > So prepare to take the "repetivive burden of repeating basic answers"
    > for a long long time. ;-)
    >
    > cu, Miller

    LOL. Fair enough. But, with that stance, be prepared to, eventually,
    have the providers of the answers finally say: "Yo! RTFM!!!" ;-) And
    I say that with humor and a song in my heart, no malice intended!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 17, 2007
  15. Eric

    [Anon] Guest

    This is a Type III anonymous message, sent to you by the Mixminion
    server at sli.mine.nu. If you do not want to receive anonymous
    messages, please contact https://sli.mine.nu/contact/.

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Just copy the bookmarks.html file from one profile to the other. Much
    > simpler operation.

    My next backup will be according to the advice of a friend
    who goes one step further by encrypting it once every few
    months and parking it on his web site, safe from the customary
    hazards associated with disk management :))))

    [Anon] , May 23, 2007