Bookmark Problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by R. Hickey, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. R. Hickey

    R. Hickey Guest

    I'm sorry for beating this dead dog but I somehow (random incorrect click
    of mouse?) deleted one of my bookmark folders.

    I tried doing a "system restore" to about 3-4 earlier dates but *that*
    failed miserably. XP won't restore (or can't restore) to an earlier point,
    so I went into the 'backup' file I make weekly.

    I copied every file that had the word "bookmarks" in it (altogether about
    4-5 different files) into my 'prefs', 'chrome' and 'profile' folders.

    Nothing. The missing bookmark folder won't display. BUT .... when the
    bookmarks.html file opens in the Firefox browser, the missing folder
    displays all the bookmarks.

    So, it doesn't show in the bookmarks listing on the left side of my screen
    but it does display the actual bookmarks in a browser window.

    Just WTF am I doing wrong? This is making me nuts!

    Thanks for any pointing in the right direction to get that missing folder
    back into my bookmarks file.

    Robert

    R. Hickey, Jun 15, 2007

  2. R. Hickey

    Guest

    On Jun 15, 3:20 pm, "R. Hickey" <> wrote:
    > I'm sorry for beating this dead dog but I somehow (random incorrect click
    > of mouse?) deleted one of my bookmark folders.
    >
    > I tried doing a "system restore" to about 3-4 earlier dates but *that*
    > failed miserably. XP won't restore (or can't restore) to an earlier point,
    > so I went into the 'backup' file I make weekly.
    >
    > I copied every file that had the word "bookmarks" in it (altogether about
    > 4-5 different files) into my 'prefs', 'chrome' and 'profile' folders.
    >
    > Nothing. The missing bookmark folder won't display. BUT .... when the
    > bookmarks.html file opens in the Firefox browser, the missing folder
    > displays all the bookmarks.
    >
    > So, it doesn't show in the bookmarks listing on the left side of my screen
    > but it does display the actual bookmarks in a browser window.
    >
    > Just WTF am I doing wrong? This is making me nuts!
    >
    > Thanks for any pointing in the right direction to get that missing folder
    > back into my bookmarks file.
    >
    > Robert

    if you're using one of the newer Firefoxes, then close the program,
    and look in the FF Profile directory. There, you will see a directory
    called bookmarkbackups. The newer FF saves a daily backup of the
    bookmark file. Just rename one of those files to bookmarks.html and
    place it where the main bookmarks.html file is located.

    , Jun 16, 2007

  3. R. Hickey

    R. Hickey Guest

    wrote in

    > if you're using one of the newer Firefoxes, then close the program,
    > and look in the FF Profile directory. There, you will see a
    > directory called bookmarkbackups. The newer FF saves a daily backup
    > of the bookmark file. Just rename one of those files to
    > bookmarks.html and place it where the main bookmarks.html file is
    > located.

    I hate to seem like a dumbass, but I found a file marked "Thursday" (I am
    using ver. 2.0.0.4), copied the only backed up file (bookmarks.html) in it
    but went to the profiles folder and there already was a file named
    'bookmarks.html' there.

    I guess that isn't the one 'cause I pasted the copy from the new FF
    version in and nothing happened.

    Where is the "...place ... where the main bookmarks.html file is
    located. " ?

    Again, sorry for having to do this and thanks for the help.

    Robert

    R. Hickey, Jun 16, 2007
  4. R. Hickey

    Guest

    On Jun 15, 4:34 pm, "R. Hickey" <> wrote:
    > wrote innews::
    >

    > > if you're using one of the newer Firefoxes, then close the program,
    > > and look in the FF Profile directory. There, you will see a
    > > directory called bookmarkbackups. The newer FF saves a daily backup
    > > of the bookmark file. Just rename one of those files to
    > > bookmarks.html and place it where the main bookmarks.html file is
    > > located.

    > I hate to seem like a dumbass, but I found a file marked "Thursday" (I am
    > using ver. 2.0.0.4), copied the only backed up file (bookmarks.html) in it
    > but went to the profiles folder and there already was a file named
    > 'bookmarks.html' there.
    >
    > I guess that isn't the one 'cause I pasted the copy from the new FF
    > version in and nothing happened.
    >
    > Where is the "...place ... where the main bookmarks.html file is
    > located. " ?
    >
    > Again, sorry for having to do this and thanks for the help.
    >
    > Robert

    rename the file thursday to bookmarks.html and replace it with the
    bookmarks.html file that is alread there.

    , Jun 16, 2007
  5. R. Hickey

    R. Hickey Guest

    wrote in

    > rename the file thursday to bookmarks.html and replace it with the
    > bookmarks.html file that is alread there.

    Couldn't get that to work. Obviously, I AM too fucking stupid to do this,
    so I went back to one of the BM files that would display the sites from
    the folder I lost (but not the folder itself in the sidebar list).

    I re-created the lost folder and then opened the sites and used "Bookmark
    This Site" in FF to do it all manually.

    One good thing, I was able to delete some sites that no longer worked so I
    got to clean up the folder for a smaller list. The *only* silver lining...

    Thank you so much for trying to lead me by the hand but it looks like I am
    a hopeless dumbass!!!

    Robert

    R. Hickey, Jun 16, 2007
  6. R. Hickey

    Guest

    On Jun 16, 8:24 am, "R. Hickey" <> wrote:
    > wrote innews::
    >

    > > rename the file thursday to bookmarks.html and replace it with the
    > > bookmarks.html file that is alread there.

    > Couldn't get that to work. Obviously, I AM too fucking stupid to do this,
    > so I went back to one of the BM files that would display the sites from
    > the folder I lost (but not the folder itself in the sidebar list).
    >
    > I re-created the lost folder and then opened the sites and used "Bookmark
    > This Site" in FF to do it all manually.
    >
    > One good thing, I was able to delete some sites that no longer worked so I
    > got to clean up the folder for a smaller list. The *only* silver lining...
    >
    > Thank you so much for trying to lead me by the hand but it looks like I am
    > a hopeless dumbass!!!
    >
    > Robert

    Ok, one last try:

    Step 1: Close FF
    Step 2: using your file manager, locate your FF profile
    Step 3: locate the file bookmarks.html
    Step 4: rename that file to bookmarks1.html or whatever you want
    Step 5: locate the directory bookmarkbackups within the FF profile.
    Step 6: Inside that directory you will find backup bookmark files.
    They will look something like this: bookmarks-2007-06-14.html. Pick
    one of them that is the biggest. Thats the one I would start with
    first.
    Step 7: Rename that file to bookmarks.html
    Step 8: place that new bookmarks file in the same location as
    bookmarks1.html
    Step 9: restart FF.

    Any results?

    , Jun 17, 2007
  7. R. Hickey

    R. Hickey Guest

    wrote in

    > Ok, one last try:
    >
    > Step 1: Close FF
    > Step 2: using your file manager, locate your FF profile

    <bewildered look> Not sure about the 'file manager' (seems I just know
    enough to get myself *in* to trouble).

    But I found 'em in 3 different places:

    - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome
    - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html
    - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile

    And one (I think the 'profile' one) has a few 'bookmarks.html'

    > Step 3: locate the file bookmarks.html

    (see #2)

    > Step 4: rename that file to bookmarks1.html or whatever you want
    > Step 5: locate the directory bookmarkbackups within the FF profile.
    > Step 6: Inside that directory you will find backup bookmark files.
    > They will look something like this: bookmarks-2007-06-14.html. Pick
    > one of them that is the biggest. Thats the one I would start with
    > first.

    This is what the folder with the multiple 'bookmarks.html' files look
    like.

    > Step 7: Rename that file to bookmarks.html
    > Step 8: place that new bookmarks file in the same location as
    > bookmarks1.html
    > Step 9: restart FF.
    >
    > Any results?

    Didn't really get any further. PLUS .... I hesitate to jerk around with
    the current bookmarks folder 'cause I got it working manually (I
    described this previously) yesterday.

    I truly feel like a large component of my "smarts" has left me! ;-]

    Robert

    R. Hickey, Jun 17, 2007
  8. R. Hickey

    John - Ratty Guest

    R. Hickey wrote:

    > But I found 'em in 3 different places:
    >
    > - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome
    > - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html
    > - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile
    >
    > And one (I think the 'profile' one) has a few 'bookmarks.html'

    They'll be in a location similar to...

    C:\Documents and Settings\login name\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(random alha-numeric string).default\

    --
    John - Ratty

    May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future

    John - Ratty, Jun 17, 2007
  9. R. Hickey

    Guest

    On Jun 17, 2:43 pm, "R. Hickey" <> wrote:
    > wrote innews::
    >
    > > Ok, one last try:

    > > Step 1: Close FF
    > > Step 2: using your file manager, locate your FF profile

    > <bewildered look> Not sure about the 'file manager' (seems I just know
    > enough to get myself *in* to trouble).

    File manager: the thing you use to browse what files you have on your
    computer. It might be called Windows Explorer.

    > But I found 'em in 3 different places:
    >
    > - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome
    > - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html
    > - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile

    these are the program directory. Your FF profile is the area that
    contains all your bookmarks, passwords, prefs, and settings.

    To locate your profile, you can read this: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    > I truly feel like a large component of my "smarts" has left me! ;-]

    if you can't figure out things by now, then maybe you shouldn't be
    using a computer. Maybe you should toss it out the window, and go
    back to watching TV. ;-)

    , Jun 18, 2007
  10. R. Hickey

    R. Hickey Guest

    John - Ratty <> wrote in news:eek:96dnfKYlrz-
    :

    > R. Hickey wrote:
    >>
    >> But I found 'em in 3 different places:
    >>
    >> - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome
    >> - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html
    >> - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile
    >>
    >> And one (I think the 'profile' one) has a few 'bookmarks.html'
    >>

    > They'll be in a location similar to...
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\login name\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(random alha-numeric string).default\

    OK, I found one marked 'bookmarks.html' at:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    \vxne4ce4.default

    and four more at:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    \vxne4ce4.default\bookmarkbackups

    Which is best to use? And thanks.

    Robert

    R. Hickey, Jun 18, 2007
  11. R. Hickey

    R. Hickey Guest

    wrote in

    > if you can't figure out things by now, then maybe you shouldn't be
    > using a computer. Maybe you should toss it out the window, and go
    > back to watching TV. ;-)

    I copied all the information provided by you and another poster. I now
    have the URLs where I should (and did...) find the info should I require
    it again in the future.

    Thanks for the help. You're sure touchy for a purple hippopotamus!!! :-}
    Sorry for my ineptness...

    Robert

    R. Hickey, Jun 18, 2007
  12. R. Hickey

    Nobody Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:20:34 GMT, "R. Hickey" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm sorry for beating this dead dog but I somehow (random incorrect click
    >of mouse?) deleted one of my bookmark folders.
    >
    >I tried doing a "system restore" to about 3-4 earlier dates but *that*
    >failed miserably. XP won't restore (or can't restore) to an earlier point,
    >so I went into the 'backup' file I make weekly.

    Duh? "System restore" doesn't recreate previous "data files" witch
    is wot bookmarks are...

    It restores yer "operational system" to the previous date you've
    specified.

    Nobody, Jun 27, 2007