Bookmark Icons and browsers?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    I've been playing around with adding shortcut/bookmark icons to some of
    my personal web pages, using the recommended way of adding this line to
    the <head> section of my HTML document:

    <link rel="SHORTCUT ICON"
    href="http://home.comcast.net/~username/favicon.ico">

    I've noticed that if I change the design of the icon and upload the new
    file "favicon.ico" to the server, the "old" icon still show on the
    Netscape's browser bar and on IE's bookmarks, even if I "reload" the
    page and can see all the graphics on the page loading in again.

    The only way I can get the "new" icon to display is to clear the
    browser's cache. Then, the next time I visit the page the "new" icon is
    where it should be.

    Is this the expected behavior?

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff
    --
    Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    Jeff Wisnia, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I've been playing around with adding shortcut/bookmark icons to some of
    > my personal web pages, using the recommended way of adding this line to
    > the <head> section of my HTML document:
    >
    > <link rel="SHORTCUT ICON"
    > href="http://home.comcast.net/~username/favicon.ico">
    >
    > I've noticed that if I change the design of the icon and upload the new
    > file "favicon.ico" to the server, the "old" icon still show on the
    > Netscape's browser bar and on IE's bookmarks, even if I "reload" the
    > page and can see all the graphics on the page loading in again.
    >
    > The only way I can get the "new" icon to display is to clear the
    > browser's cache. Then, the next time I visit the page the "new" icon is
    > where it should be.
    >
    > Is this the expected behavior?

    If you're asking, the answer has to be, "No", though you're not the
    first person to ask the question. One solution in Google is to delete
    the bookmark and then re-bookmark the site. There may be more info. at
    http://www.favicon.com/

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Jeff Wisnia

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, that's how favicons are stored, until you empty
    the cache. Try FavOrg:

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:40:27 -0400, in
    <>
    Jeff Wisnia scrawleE: