Bookmark Filing Conundrum

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by mapmaker, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. mapmaker

    mapmaker Guest

    When I want to save a new bookmark with the MANY others I have
    previously grouped together, I have a horribly frustrating time of it.

    A good example is the link recently given for "mnenhy" which I wanted
    to file with my Thunderbird bookmarks. I opened the Bookmarks Manager,
    entered "Thunderbird" in the "Search" box, and saw my Thunderbird
    bookmarks in the "Results".

    HOWEVER...when I select which one of my "Results" I want to put the
    new one with, I can't figure out which directory in the "List" it is
    located in. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone point me in the
    right direction? Or is there an extension that would help me?

    Running Firefox 1.0 on XP-Pro-SP2
    In case I am using any improper terms, this is what I am referring to
    when I refer to the "Bookmarks Manager".
    ------------------
    | Search |
    ------------------
    | | |
    | List | Results |
    | | |
    ------------------
    mapmaker, Dec 15, 2004

  2. mapmaker

    Moz Champion Guest

    mapmaker wrote:

    > When I want to save a new bookmark with the MANY others I have
    > previously grouped together, I have a horribly frustrating time of it.
    >
    > A good example is the link recently given for "mnenhy" which I wanted
    > to file with my Thunderbird bookmarks. I opened the Bookmarks Manager,
    > entered "Thunderbird" in the "Search" box, and saw my Thunderbird
    > bookmarks in the "Results".
    >
    > HOWEVER...when I select which one of my "Results" I want to put the
    > new one with, I can't figure out which directory in the "List" it is
    > located in. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone point me in the
    > right direction? Or is there an extension that would help me?
    >
    > Running Firefox 1.0 on XP-Pro-SP2
    > In case I am using any improper terms, this is what I am referring to
    > when I refer to the "Bookmarks Manager".
    > ------------------
    > | Search |
    > ------------------
    > | | |
    > | List | Results |
    > | | |
    > ------------------

    you have run into one of the conundrums with Bookmarks

    Search finds, but it doesnt tell you where in your bookmarks that
    particular bookmark is (nor does it allow you to delete it)

    Its really not very useful, about the only thing you can do is manually
    search your bookmarks for the proper folder, and add the new bookmark to
    it then.

    suggestion: Organize your bookmarks in folders with names of what they
    refer to, i.e. all your Thunderbird related bookmarks go in the
    Thunderbird (or Thunderbird help) folder

    There is a bug on the problem and the impediment in 'fixing' it may be
    one of deciding exactly what Bookmark Manager (and the Search facility
    thereof) is supposed to do.
    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Dec 15, 2004

  3. mapmaker

    Splibbilla Guest

    Moz Champion <> in news:isSvd.126871$:

    > Search finds, but it doesnt tell you where in your bookmarks that
    > particular bookmark is (nor does it allow you to delete it)
    >
    > Its really not very useful, about the only thing you can do is manually
    > search your bookmarks for the proper folder, and add the new bookmark to
    > it then.

    and if you realize the folder was *too* hard to find, it may inspire you to rename and reorganize :)

    i've done some reorganizing since I'm still building bookmarks structure. When Search finds a bookmark, I sometimes create
    new folder. later I might stumble across a similar folder. That's when I chose between the two folders' name and location, dump
    all bookmakrs into teh "better" fodler, and delete the "excess" folder.

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.3, all profiles GoogleBar, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar,
    usually java off, js on. trying out PrefBar v. 2.3.1, build date 20041003
    Splibbilla, Dec 21, 2004