bookmark file location

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by beenthere, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. beenthere

    beenthere Guest

    "Morris" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I wish to backup my IE URL bookmark file. Using XP home. I'd appreciate it
    >if anyone could tell me where this file is located. TIA.

    Do you mean your `Favorites` ?.

    beenthere, Sep 11, 2006

  2. beenthere

    Morris Guest

    --
    <<Morris>>
    http://www.postcards-and-things.com

    Morris, Sep 11, 2006

  3. beenthere

    Guest

    This file is stored in your OS' temporary files folder and is not easy
    to locate manually. You should identify a uniquw a text string from it,
    and also try to get the dates when you created or size etc. Based on
    this, do a computer search in Windows explorer using options as "show
    hidden files" with speciof sizes and date parameters etc. You will
    definitely get them.

    Shammi777(sherkhanthegreat)

    Morris wrote:
    > I wish to backup my IE URL bookmark file. Using XP home. I'd appreciate it
    > if anyone could tell me where this file is located. TIA.
    > --
    > <<Morris>>
    > http://www.postcards-and-things.com

    , Sep 11, 2006
  4. beenthere

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 11 Sep 2006 13:21:46 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >This file is stored in your OS' temporary files folder and is not easy
    >to locate manually.

    Really? When did Microsoft stop storing the favorites in c:\documents
    and settings\%user%\favorites and start storing them in the temp
    folder?

    Evan Platt, Sep 12, 2006
  5. beenthere

    Bob Guest

    You can either do an advanced search with Windows Explorer, telling it to
    search through hidden files & folders or you can go to

    File
    Import and Export

    Then follow the wizard prompts to export it to a location of your choosing.
    When it asks "Export to a File or Address", choose "Browse" and select where
    you want to store it and give it a new name that includes the date.

    Cheers ... Bob

    Bob, Sep 12, 2006
  6. beenthere

    richard Guest

    "Morris" <> wrote in message
    >I wish to backup my IE URL bookmark file. Using XP home. I'd appreciate it
    >if anyone could tell me where this file is located. TIA.
    > --
    > <<Morris>>
    > http://www.postcards-and-things.com

    Look under c:\documents and settings\

    Then check each "user" folder including your registered name folder.
    Copy and paste to desired location.

    richard, Sep 12, 2006
  7. beenthere

    richard Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On 11 Sep 2006 13:21:46 -0700, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>This file is stored in your OS' temporary files folder and is not easy
    >>to locate manually.

    > Really? When did Microsoft stop storing the favorites in c:\documents
    > and settings\%user%\favorites and start storing them in the temp
    > folder?

    A totally clueless newbee perhaps?

    I've never had any problem locating the temp internet files or deleting any
    of them.
    Of course, one can always click on options, and with but a single click,
    delete them all, including the cookies.

    richard, Sep 12, 2006