booking system

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Sep 13, 2007.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Prob getting fed up with my requests but oh well... and no Im not being
    lazy, just not having much luck :(

    Im (also) after some sort of online (PHP/SQL) based booking system....
    everything I come across is for hotels etc.

    I have contracts with 2 diff companies and sometimes the times they want me
    conflict. Im after something that I can run on my site that lets those
    companies log in, and book me for certain date/time - obviously I d rather
    that company2 cant see when company1 has me booked in but get a mesasge just
    saying "Unavailable" - if they have to see one anothers booked times, then I
    dont want them seeing one anothers details or anything.

    Google Calendar is one thing Im playing with at the moment, but would rather
    something I can control myself and lock down etc.

    Ideas ? :)

    Cheers

    XPD, Sep 13, 2007

  2. XPD

    sam Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Prob getting fed up with my requests but oh well... and no Im not being
    > lazy, just not having much luck :(
    >
    > Im (also) after some sort of online (PHP/SQL) based booking system....
    > everything I come across is for hotels etc.
    >
    > I have contracts with 2 diff companies and sometimes the times they want me
    > conflict. Im after something that I can run on my site that lets those
    > companies log in, and book me for certain date/time - obviously I d rather
    > that company2 cant see when company1 has me booked in but get a mesasge just
    > saying "Unavailable" - if they have to see one anothers booked times, then I
    > dont want them seeing one anothers details or anything.
    >
    > Google Calendar is one thing Im playing with at the moment, but would rather
    > something I can control myself and lock down etc.
    >
    > Ideas ? :)
    >
    > Cheers

    Microsoft Outlook ?

    sam, Sep 13, 2007

  3. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:...
    > XPD wrote:
    >> Prob getting fed up with my requests but oh well... and no Im not being
    >> lazy, just not having much luck :(
    >>
    >> Im (also) after some sort of online (PHP/SQL) based booking system....
    >> everything I come across is for hotels etc.
    >>
    >> I have contracts with 2 diff companies and sometimes the times they want
    >> me conflict. Im after something that I can run on my site that lets those
    >> companies log in, and book me for certain date/time - obviously I d
    >> rather that company2 cant see when company1 has me booked in but get a
    >> mesasge just saying "Unavailable" - if they have to see one anothers
    >> booked times, then I dont want them seeing one anothers details or
    >> anything.
    >>
    >> Google Calendar is one thing Im playing with at the moment, but would
    >> rather something I can control myself and lock down etc.
    >>
    >> Ideas ? :)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Microsoft Outlook ?

    Nope, want it to be platform independant :)
    Dont think my liasons use Outlook anyway :)

    Also want it to be open for growth - ie: more clients

    XPD, Sep 13, 2007
  4. XPD

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <fca334$ss3$>,
    says...

    > "sam" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > XPD wrote:
    > >> Prob getting fed up with my requests but oh well... and no Im not being
    > >> lazy, just not having much luck :(
    > >>
    > >> Im (also) after some sort of online (PHP/SQL) based booking system....
    > >> everything I come across is for hotels etc.
    > >>
    > >> I have contracts with 2 diff companies and sometimes the times they want
    > >> me conflict. Im after something that I can run on my site that lets those
    > >> companies log in, and book me for certain date/time - obviously I d
    > >> rather that company2 cant see when company1 has me booked in but get a
    > >> mesasge just saying "Unavailable" - if they have to see one anothers
    > >> booked times, then I dont want them seeing one anothers details or
    > >> anything.
    > >>
    > >> Google Calendar is one thing Im playing with at the moment, but would
    > >> rather something I can control myself and lock down etc.
    > >>
    > >> Ideas ? :)
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >>

    > > Microsoft Outlook ?

    > Nope, want it to be platform independant :)
    > Dont think my liasons use Outlook anyway :)
    >
    > Also want it to be open for growth - ie: more clients

    Microsoft Exchange?

    (accessed via OWA, or OMA)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 13, 2007
  5. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >> > Microsoft Outlook ?

    >> Nope, want it to be platform independant :)
    >> Dont think my liasons use Outlook anyway :)
    >>
    >> Also want it to be open for growth - ie: more clients

    > Microsoft Exchange?
    >
    > (accessed via OWA, or OMA)

    Nope, no funds for Exchange or anywhere for it to be run.

    Just a standard PHP/web based system will be fine if such a thing exists :)

    XPD, Sep 13, 2007
  6. XPD

    none Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Nope, no funds for Exchange or anywhere for it to be run.
    >
    > Just a standard PHP/web based system will be fine if such a thing exists :)

    Not sure if there's one around that does the privacy stuff.

    eGroupware - http://www.egroupware.org/

    This has quite a comprehensive calendar module in it, but not sure if
    it'll provide the privacy stuff.

    none, Sep 13, 2007
  7. XPD

    Malcolm Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:59:53 +1200
    "XPD" <> wrote:

    > Prob getting fed up with my requests but oh well... and no Im not
    > being lazy, just not having much luck :(
    >
    > Im (also) after some sort of online (PHP/SQL) based booking
    > system.... everything I come across is for hotels etc.
    >
    > I have contracts with 2 diff companies and sometimes the times they
    > want me conflict. Im after something that I can run on my site that
    > lets those companies log in, and book me for certain date/time -
    > obviously I d rather that company2 cant see when company1 has me
    > booked in but get a mesasge just saying "Unavailable" - if they have
    > to see one anothers booked times, then I dont want them seeing one
    > anothers details or anything.
    >
    > Google Calendar is one thing Im playing with at the moment, but would
    > rather something I can control myself and lock down etc.
    >
    > Ideas ? :)
    >
    > Cheers

    Hi
    Maybe this?
    http://www.jjwdesign.com/booking_calendar.html

    Booking+php show quite a few google hits..

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm, Sep 13, 2007
  8. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    > Maybe this?
    > http://www.jjwdesign.com/booking_calendar.html
    >
    > Booking+php show quite a few google hits..
    >
    > --
    > Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    > SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp
    > up 3 days 3:19, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.02

    Cheers, looks more promising :)

    XPD, Sep 13, 2007
  9. On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:59:53 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > Google Calendar is one thing Im playing with at the moment, but would rather
    > something I can control myself and lock down etc.

    All this for only two companies?

    What you need is a good pen, a diary and a telephone.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 13, 2007
  10. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:59:53 +1200, XPD wrote:
    >
    >> Google Calendar is one thing Im playing with at the moment, but would
    >> rather
    >> something I can control myself and lock down etc.

    > All this for only two companies?
    >
    > What you need is a good pen, a diary and a telephone.

    Dosent show them when Im available tho does it now ? :)
    Im trying to educate them to plan some stuff rather than just dump it on me
    all of a sudden (which is the usual case)

    XPD, Sep 13, 2007
  11. On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:02:23 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:59:53 +1200, XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> Google Calendar is one thing Im playing with at the moment, but would
    >>> rather
    >>> something I can control myself and lock down etc.

    >> All this for only two companies?
    >>
    >> What you need is a good pen, a diary and a telephone.

    > Dosent show them when Im available tho does it now ? :)
    > Im trying to educate them to plan some stuff rather than just dump it on me
    > all of a sudden (which is the usual case)

    "Hi, XPD. We're needing to get xyz done. We have a deadline for this going
    live of DD/MM/YYYY. What time can you contact us to discuss this in order
    to get this done for us? Please call us back, or reply to this email. Kind
    regards".

    How hard is that to do?

    Those persons who simply pick up the phone and say "I want you to do this.
    Come over hear - NOW!" are arrogant little shits and not worth the stress.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 13, 2007
  12. XPD

    EMB Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > "Hi, XPD. We're needing to get xyz done. We have a deadline for this going
    > live of DD/MM/YYYY. What time can you contact us to discuss this in order
    > to get this done for us? Please call us back, or reply to this email. Kind
    > regards".
    >
    > How hard is that to do?
    >
    > Those persons who simply pick up the phone and say "I want you to do this.
    > Come over hear - NOW!" are arrogant little shits and not worth the stress.

    I have clients like that and it's fucking hard work educating them.
    When they are good payers and provide a lot of work it's hard telling
    them to FOAD too. Today I think I have finally won that battle with one
    of them. In the past I have been given <48 hours notice of new
    employees requiring a desktop PC and phone, network logon, app server
    logon, email address, cellphone, DDI number, and a building security
    code. The last time they pulled that stunt I left their new employee in
    limbo for 10 days before I 'was available' to organise all of the above.
    Today I got an email with details of a new employee who starts on
    October 15th, and warning that there is another as yet unidentified
    staff member starting shortly after that.

    EMB, Sep 13, 2007
  13. On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:38:38 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Today I got an email with details of a new employee who starts on
    > October 15th, and warning that there is another as yet unidentified
    > staff member starting shortly after that.

    That is still only 2 days.

    What I don't understand is that there is usually a week or 2 or 4 or 6
    between a person giving notice at the former place of employment and the
    time they finish there. So, why can't the employer provide you with
    details of the new employee on the day that the employment contract is
    signed? Remember - employment contracts should be signed PRIOR to
    employment commencing.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 13, 2007
  14. XPD

    Shane Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:38:38 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Today I got an email with details of a new employee who starts on
    >> October 15th, and warning that there is another as yet unidentified
    >> staff member starting shortly after that.

    > That is still only 2 days.

    read it again

    --
    Q: What do you get when you cross a mosquito with a rock climber?
    A: Nothing. You can't cross a vector and a scalar.

    Shane, Sep 13, 2007