    Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?

    Thanks
    , Mar 28, 2008

  2. Bill Eitner Guest

    wrote:
    > Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
    > certification?
    > Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?
    >

    > Thanks

    I vote Mike Myers.
    Bill Eitner, Mar 28, 2008

  3. John O Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
    > certification?
    > Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?

    Meyers, easy choice. If Sybex has done a 2nd Edition it's worth a look, but
    the 1st Edition was crap.

    -John O
    John O, Mar 30, 2008
  4. "John O" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
    >> certification?
    >> Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?
    >>

    > Meyers, easy choice. If Sybex has done a 2nd Edition it's worth a look,
    > but the 1st Edition was crap.
    >
    > -John O

    I own and used both books, but the Meyer's was the best.

    in Technicolor®, Apr 10, 2008
  5. Sean Cleary Guest

    On Apr 10, 8:03 am, in Technicolor® <> wrote:
    > "John O" <> wrote in message

    > > <> wrote in message
    > >> Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
    > >> certification?
    > >> Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?

    > > Meyers, easy choice. If Sybex has done a 2nd Edition it's worth a look,
    > > but the 1st Edition was crap.

    > > -John O

    > I own and used both books, but the Meyer's was the best.

    Myers book is very complete.

    The book comes with sample tests on a CD. These tests are full of
    typographical errors (typos), questions where there is not a correct
    answer, and other signs of poorly checked and/or hasty creation. This
    leads me to wonder if the exam questions are as good as needed. I
    would hate to use the practice exam to learn something wrong, but this
    is likely the case.

    Also his book... be sure to go to his website for the errata. Not as
    bad as the practice exams.

    There are other books out there, more than the writers you cited. But
    I have not used them yet, just ordered them yesterday. So I can not
    say anything about them.

    Sean
    Sean Cleary, May 14, 2008
  6. Sean Cleary Guest

    On May 14, 9:32 am, Sean Cleary <> wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 8:03 am, in Technicolor® <> wrote:
    >

    > > "John O" <> wrote in message

    > > > <> wrote in message

    > > > Meyers, easy choice. If Sybex has done a 2nd Edition it's worth a look,
    > > > but the 1st Edition was crap.

    > > > -John O

    > > I own and used both books, but the Meyer's was the best.

    > Myers book is very complete.
    >
    > The book comes with sample tests on a CD. These tests are full of
    > typographical errors (typos), questions where there is not a correct
    > answer, and other signs of poorly checked and/or hasty creation. This
    > leads me to wonder if the exam questions are as good as needed. I
    > would hate to use the practice exam to learn something wrong, but this
    > is likely the case.
    >
    > Also his book... be sure to go to his website for the errata. Not as
    > bad as the practice exams.
    >
    > There are other books out there, more than the writers you cited. But
    > I have not used them yet, just ordered them yesterday. So I can not
    > say anything about them.
    >
    > Sean

    good definitions:
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html
    The book whose cd made me run for those definitions:
    Exam Cram by charles J. Brooks
    definitely has things in it not covered by Mike's book.
    Sean
    Sean Cleary, May 16, 2008
  7. Sean Cleary Guest

    On May 16, 6:38 am, Sean Cleary <> wrote:
    > On May 14, 9:32 am,Sean Cleary<> wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 10, 8:03 am, in Technicolor® <> wrote:

    > > > "John O" <> wrote in message

    > > > I own and used both books, but the Meyer's was the best.

    > > Myers book is very complete.

    > > The book comes with sample tests on a CD. These tests are full of
    > > typographical errors (typos), questions where there is not a correct
    > > answer, and other signs of poorly checked and/or hasty creation. This
    > > leads me to wonder if the exam questions are as good as needed. I
    > > would hate to use the practice exam to learn something wrong, but this
    > > is likely the case.

    > > Also his book... be sure to go to his website for the errata. Not as
    > > bad as the practice exams.

    > > There are other books out there, more than the writers you cited. But
    > > I have not used them yet, just ordered them yesterday. So I can not
    > > say anything about them.

    > > Sean

    > good definitions:http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html
    > The book whose cd made me run for those definitions:
    > Exam Cram by charles J. Brooks
    > definitely has things in it not covered by Mike's book.

    I just got a new 'tia book: Comtia A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews
    Phd. This is too think to read before the exam, but seems to have more
    data than Mikes book.

    Remember though, it does not matter if the book matches reality (as
    Jean's book is rumored to do), so much as it must match the test.

    Sean
    Sean Cleary, May 19, 2008
  8. Sean Cleary Guest

    On May 19, 6:38 am, Sean Cleary <> wrote:
    > On May 16, 6:38 am, Sean Cleary <> wrote:

    > > > Myers book is very complete.

    > > > The book comes with sample tests on a CD. These tests are full of
    > > > typographical errors (typos), questions where there is not a correct
    > > > answer, and other signs of poorly checked and/or hasty creation. This
    > > > leads me to wonder if the exam questions are as good as needed. I
    > > > would hate to use the practice exam to learn something wrong, but this
    > > > is likely the case.

    > > > Also his book... be sure to go to his website for the errata. Not as
    > > > bad as the practice exams.

    > > > There are other books out there, more than the writers you cited. But
    > > > I have not used them yet, just ordered them yesterday. So I can not
    > > > say anything about them.

    > > > Sean

    > > good definitions:http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html
    > > The book whose cd made me run for those definitions:
    > > Exam Cram by charles J. Brooks
    > > definitely has things in it not covered by Mike's book.

    > I just got a new 'tia book: Comtia A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews
    > Phd. This is too think to read before the exam, but seems to have more
    > data than Mikes book.
    >
    > Remember though, it does not matter if the book matches reality (as
    > Jean's book is rumored to do), so much as it must match the test.
    >
    > Sean

    I passed!
    I owe it to Calahans CEPT, Mike's book, Mikes tests, 2 purchased on
    line tests that were worse than Mikes for quality but useful, Much on
    line searching for a better understanding of key terms, especially
    those with a HUH! factor, having a Win XP system or two in house (the
    home system was disappointing), another practice test found in the
    mail that helped confirm some of Mikes stuff, Jean's book which is
    better than Mikes book for real world stuff, and luck. I
    overprepaired, I faced 90 questions with 20 not solidly known, I faced
    questions with 2 good answers and questions with no good answers, and
    questions I did not understand any of the answers. I had just enough
    caffeine in my blood to enhance IQ without making me overly jumpy. I
    took my time.

    The boxes are checked for questions that you want to review, non
    checked questions are not easily accessible.

    Good luck on yours, and I will be looking for the next cert/test
    sometime soon, as well as looking for a job based on this test/cert.

    Sean
    Sean Cleary, May 24, 2008
  9. Sean Cleary Guest

    On May 24, 12:56 pm, Sean Cleary <> wrote:
    > On May 19, 6:38 am, Sean Cleary <> wrote:

    > > > good definitions:http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html
    > > > The book whose cd made me run for those definitions:
    > > > Exam Cram by charles J. Brooks
    > > > definitely has things in it not covered by Mike's book.

    > > I just got a new 'tia book: Comtia A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews
    > > Phd. This is too think to read before the exam, but seems to have more
    > > data than Mikes book.

    > > Remember though, it does not matter if the book matches reality (as
    > > Jean's book is rumored to do), so much as it must match the test.

    > > Sean

    > I passed!
    > I owe it to Calahans CEPT, Mike's book, Mikes tests, 2 purchased on
    > line tests that were worse than Mikes for quality but useful, Much on
    > line searching for a better understanding of key terms, especially
    > those with a HUH! factor, having a Win XP system or two in house (the
    > home system was disappointing), another practice test found in the
    > mail that helped confirm some of Mikes stuff, Jean's book which is
    > better than Mikes book for real world stuff, and luck. I
    > overprepaired, I faced 90 questions with 20 not solidly known, I faced
    > questions with 2 good answers and questions with no good answers, and
    > questions I did not understand any of the answers. I had just enough
    > caffeine in my blood to enhance IQ without making me overly jumpy. I
    > took my time.
    >
    > The boxes are checked for questions that you want to review, non
    > checked questions are not easily accessible.
    >
    > Good luck on yours, and I will be looking for the next cert/test
    > sometime soon, as well as looking for a job based on this test/cert.
    >
    > Sean

    Yes the exam cram questions were useful, some sent me to the internet
    to get a more indepth understanding of the subject.

    Sean
    Sean Cleary, May 24, 2008
  10. Sean Cleary Guest

    On May 24, 1:07 pm, Sean Cleary <> wrote:
    > On May 24, 12:56 pm, Sean Cleary <> wrote:

    > > > I just got a new 'tia book: Comtia A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews
    > > > Phd. This is too think to read before the exam, but seems to have more
    > > > data than Mikes book.

    > > > Remember though, it does not matter if the book matches reality (as
    > > > Jean's book is rumored to do), so much as it must match the test.

    > > > Sean

    > > I passed!
    > > I owe it to Calahans CEPT, Mike's book, Mikes tests, 2 purchased on
    > > line tests that were worse than Mikes for quality but useful, Much on
    > > line searching for a better understanding of key terms, especially
    > > those with a HUH! factor, having a Win XP system or two in house (the
    > > home system was disappointing), another practice test found in the
    > > mail that helped confirm some of Mikes stuff, Jean's book which is
    > > better than Mikes book for real world stuff, and luck. I
    > > overprepaired, I faced 90 questions with 20 not solidly known, I faced
    > > questions with 2 good answers and questions with no good answers, and
    > > questions I did not understand any of the answers. I had just enough
    > > caffeine in my blood to enhance IQ without making me overly jumpy. I
    > > took my time.

    > > The boxes are checked for questions that you want to review, non
    > > checked questions are not easily accessible.

    > > Good luck on yours, and I will be looking for the next cert/test
    > > sometime soon, as well as looking for a job based on this test/cert.

    > > Sean

    > Yes the exam cram questions were useful, some sent me to the internet
    > to get a more indepth understanding of the subject.
    >
    > Sean

    I never got more into the trancender stuff except for one practice
    test. Their stuff looks very good, with good explanations on the
    questions. I would have bought their stuff if I had more time.

    Sean
    Sean Cleary, May 24, 2008
  11. Shadow36 Guest

    "
    I passed!

    Cobgrats!! I'll be taking mine soon.

    I owe it to Calahans CEPT, Mike's book, Mikes tests, 2 purchased on
    line tests that were worse than Mikes for quality but useful, Much on
    line searching for a better understanding of key terms, especially
    those with a HUH! factor, having a Win XP system or two in house (the
    home system was disappointing), another practice test found in the
    mail that helped confirm some of Mikes stuff, Jean's book which is
    better than Mikes book for real world stuff, and luck. I
    overprepaired, I faced 90 questions with 20 not solidly known, I

    I "think" you can miss 26 max without failing...

    Shadow36, May 24, 2008