    examples.

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 28, 2009

  2. Jack Spratt

    Richard Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > What do you call those things that can hold a book open so you can type
    > while reading from them?
    > Any one know who sells them?
    > Ideally they would be able to hold thickish A4 non-hardback books and
    > would hold the pages down so they don't flip/blow over to the next page
    > mid-type.
    >
    > These are techy books (e.g. Wrox, MS Press etc) so I'm typing out code
    > examples.

    Have you considered scan and then copy/paste the resulting text in the
    pdf file?

    Richard, Mar 28, 2009

  3. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> What do you call those things that can hold a book open so you can type
    >> while reading from them?
    >> Any one know who sells them?
    >> Ideally they would be able to hold thickish A4 non-hardback books and
    >> would hold the pages down so they don't flip/blow over to the next page
    >> mid-type.
    >>
    >> These are techy books (e.g. Wrox, MS Press etc) so I'm typing out code
    >> examples.

    > Have you considered scan and then copy/paste the resulting text in the pdf
    > file?

    Far too much effort for a large book chocka with code... even if I did own a
    scanner.
    Plus with the programming IDE open (with all it's windows) I'd have to
    Alt+Tab every minute or so to get back to the pasted code window.

    Oh do you mean paste the code samples into the page? I want to type it
    myself to get (more) familiar with the syntax etc.

    Cheers

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 28, 2009
  4. Jack Spratt

    Sam Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > What do you call those things that can hold a book open so you can type
    > while reading from them?

    They're called bulldog clips

    Sam, Mar 28, 2009
  5. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "oneofus" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> What do you call those things that can hold a book open so you can type
    >> while reading from them?
    >> Any one know who sells them?
    >> Ideally they would be able to hold thickish A4 non-hardback books and
    >> would hold the pages down so they don't flip/blow over to the next page
    >> mid-type.
    >>
    >> These are techy books (e.g. Wrox, MS Press etc) so I'm typing out code
    >> examples.
    >>

    > Copy holder ?
    >
    > https://www.consumables.co.nz/store...1823&gclid=CJyChcLwxpkCFQ6jagodyV_Stg&store=1

    Cheers... along those lines but not so much a document holder and certainly
    not $100+
    Sort of like what a musician has in front of them so they can read music
    while playing the instrument.
    We had them back in the Uni day... simple metal contraption with a
    string/elastic band over the front to hold the pages down.

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 29, 2009
  6. Jack Spratt

    Damos Guest

    On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:09:05 +1300, Jack Spratt
    <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:

    > What do you call those things that can hold a book open so you can type
    > while reading from them?
    > Any one know who sells them?
    > Ideally they would be able to hold thickish A4 non-hardback books and
    > would hold the pages down so they don't flip/blow over to the next page
    > mid-type.
    >
    > These are techy books (e.g. Wrox, MS Press etc) so I'm typing out code
    > examples.

    Try cooking shops. They often have them in very large sizes to keep
    those huge card cover recipy books open.

    D.

    Damos, Mar 30, 2009
  7. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Have you considered scan and then copy/paste the resulting text in the
    >>> pdf file?

    >> Far too much effort for a large book chocka with code... even if I did
    >> own
    >> a scanner.
    >> Plus with the programming IDE open (with all it's windows) I'd have to
    >> Alt+Tab every minute or so to get back to the pasted code window.
    >>
    >> Oh do you mean paste the code samples into the page? I want to type it
    >> myself to get (more) familiar with the syntax etc.

    > As a developer myself I recommend getting another monitor. Then this
    > problem
    > (of having to shift between applications) is minimised. Another option I
    > find handy with this issue is to have a window manager that allows yo to
    > set the transparency on a window (I use KDe and compiz-fusion and I can
    > make a window translucent by holding down a key and scrolling the mouse
    > wheel). This allows me to easily see through the foreground window to one
    > in behind it.
    >
    > To answer your original question: how about big rubber bands and a
    > clipboard?
    > --
    > A.

    How does this clipboard stand up?
    I'm not a number 8 wire type of guy and I know these things exist.... just a
    simple metal/wood "thing" which is the size of an open A4 book with
    something that holds a page down. Then I just glance 10 degrees to the
    left/right and keep typing.

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 30, 2009
  8. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >

    >> How does this clipboard stand up?
    >> I'm not a number 8 wire type of guy and I know these things exist....
    >> just
    >> a simple metal/wood "thing" which is the size of an open A4 book with
    >> something that holds a page down. Then I just glance 10 degrees to the
    >> left/right and keep typing.

    > You could use a photo frame with legs on it and then two bulldog clips,
    > one
    > holding open each page. As long as the legs on the frame are strong
    > enough,
    > that should work.
    >
    > Sorry for the long links:
    >
    > http://www.warehousestationery.co.n...se?CatalogCategoryID=nJYKBTHBHuYAAAEdvwAMoH0z
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-f...quipment-supplies/Other/auction-210249170.htm
    >

    > --
    > A.

    Thanks, these look like document holders (A4 pages) rather than book holders

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 30, 2009
  9. Jack Spratt

    oneofus Guest

    http://www.warehousestationery.co.n...UID=Ue4KBTHDW0kAAAEVprMGPP9E&JumpTo=OfferList
    http://www.pantrymagic.co.nz/epages...th=/Shops/pantrymagic/Products/BK-WM28-000734
    http://www.millyskitchen.co.nz/mill...derdir=asc┬Ątrow=0&sitemode=#request.sitemode#
    http://www.raeco.co.nz/category.php?category_code=0137
    http://justschoolfurniture.co.nz/shop/technology/individual-study/desk-top-easel
    http://www.warehousestationery.co.n...lW&CatalogCategoryID=CksKBTHB9lsAAAEddPMMoH00

    oneofus, Mar 30, 2009
  10. Jack Spratt

    John Potter Guest

    On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:23:27 +1300, "Jack Spratt"

    >Cheers... along those lines but not so much a document holder and certainly
    >not $100+
    >Sort of like what a musician has in front of them so they can read music
    >while playing the instrument.
    >We had them back in the Uni day... simple metal contraption with a
    >string/elastic band over the front to hold the pages down.

    There are some good music stands around, designed for a book. Piano
    Traders in Mt Eden Rd (if you're in Ak), I think I might have paid
    around 40. If it's a stiff paperback you could use a couple of those
    plastic wood clamps on it.

    John

    John Potter, Apr 1, 2009