Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by James.Brown, Jun 30, 2007.

  1. James.Brown

    James.Brown Guest

    All,

    I have recently moved into a new job-role, working in the Network
    Support and Engineering team. I have a CCNA, a few years of experience
    in the Windows and Linux world, but quite frankly, the sight of a
    Cisco config scares me! Could anyone recommend some books to ease the
    pain please?

    The company has a large IP network, with IPSec/GRE VPNs, Multicast,
    Layer 3 switching, Catalyst 6500 switches running CatOS or IOS with
    BGP and EIGRP routing protocols.

    Can anyone recommend any books to get me started please? I need to
    refresh my knowledge on the basics, plus get started on IOS/CatOS
    upgrades, VLAN interfaces, VPN tunnels, EIGRP and BGP.

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

    All the best,

    James.

    James.Brown, Jun 30, 2007

  2. James.Brown

    stephen Guest

    "James.Brown" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I have recently moved into a new job-role, working in the Network
    > Support and Engineering team. I have a CCNA, a few years of experience
    > in the Windows and Linux world, but quite frankly, the sight of a
    > Cisco config scares me! Could anyone recommend some books to ease the
    > pain please?

    The books covering the certifications tend to cover a lot of ground - try
    looking for the CCNP course books.

    most are published by Cisco Press with lots of alternates,
    www.ciscopress.com - but i find they are cheaper and quicker via Amazon.

    > The company has a large IP network, with IPSec/GRE VPNs, Multicast,
    > Layer 3 switching, Catalyst 6500 switches running CatOS or IOS with
    > BGP and EIGRP routing protocols.

    CatOS and IOS on the chassis switches are covered in the best practice
    guides. Try starting at the doc pages:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/tsd_products_support_category_home.html

    i think the best practice guides are there in the "most popular" bit.

    > Can anyone recommend any books to get me started please? I need to
    > refresh my knowledge on the basics, plus get started on IOS/CatOS
    > upgrades, VLAN interfaces, VPN tunnels, EIGRP and BGP.

    at least all the cisco docs tend to be on line - if you can find them.....

    www.cisco.com, support, docs should get you started.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Jun 30, 2007

  3. James.Brown

    Wayne Guest

    "James.Brown" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recommend any books to get me started please?

    I picked up the O'Reilly IOS In A Nutshell by James Boney when I was getting
    started, I still refer to it from time to time. The 2nd edition came out on
    2005, hopefully there will be a 3rd edition soon.

    Some people like the O'Reilly style, some don't.

    Wayne, Jun 30, 2007
  4. James.Brown

    Dana Guest

    > All,
    >
    > I have recently moved into a new job-role, working in the Network
    > Support and Engineering team. I have a CCNA, a few years of experience
    > in the Windows and Linux world, but quite frankly, the sight of a
    > Cisco config scares me! Could anyone recommend some books to ease the
    > pain please?
    >
    > The company has a large IP network, with IPSec/GRE VPNs, Multicast,
    > Layer 3 switching, Catalyst 6500 switches running CatOS or IOS with
    > BGP and EIGRP routing protocols.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any books to get me started please? I need to
    > refresh my knowledge on the basics, plus get started on IOS/CatOS
    > upgrades, VLAN interfaces, VPN tunnels, EIGRP and BGP.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > All the best,

    I thought you mentioned you had your CCNA.
    As for books. The Cisco documnetation site is just a wealth of excellent
    documents.

    Dana, Jun 30, 2007
  5. James.Brown

    BernieM Guest

    > All,
    >
    > I have recently moved into a new job-role, working in the Network
    > Support and Engineering team. I have a CCNA, a few years of experience
    > in the Windows and Linux world, but quite frankly, the sight of a
    > Cisco config scares me! Could anyone recommend some books to ease the
    > pain please?
    >
    > The company has a large IP network, with IPSec/GRE VPNs, Multicast,
    > Layer 3 switching, Catalyst 6500 switches running CatOS or IOS with
    > BGP and EIGRP routing protocols.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any books to get me started please? I need to
    > refresh my knowledge on the basics, plus get started on IOS/CatOS
    > upgrades, VLAN interfaces, VPN tunnels, EIGRP and BGP.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > All the best,
    >
    > James.

    Get to know the 6500 series white papers site ..

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_white_papers_list.html

    BernieM, Jun 30, 2007
  6. James.Brown

    Mike Guest

    I actually like the IOS Cookbook a lot. For more complex stuff,
    Cisco.com is a wealth of information. But if you're looking for
    something hard-copy with straight forward explanations of the stuff
    you do every day, this book is great.

    Also if "quite frankly, the sight of a Cisco config scares me!", I
    highly suggest you set up a lab at home or at work. You can get 2600s
    pretty cheap off ebay, 1600s I'm sure people just throw out. A new
    871 isnt even that much. Use them at home, until they bore you and
    you want something with a spiffier feature set.

    -Mike

    Mike, Jul 1, 2007
  7. James.Brown

    James.Brown Guest

    On 1 Jul, 14:39, Mike <> wrote:
    > I actually like the IOS Cookbook a lot. For more complex stuff,
    > Cisco.com is a wealth of information. But if you're looking for
    > something hard-copy with straight forward explanations of the stuff
    > you do every day, this book is great.
    >
    > [...]
    > > > Can anyone recommend any books to get me started please?

    > > I picked up the O'Reilly IOS In A Nutshell by James Boney when I was getting
    > > started, I still refer to it from time to time. The 2nd edition came out on
    > > 2005, hopefully there will be a 3rd edition soon.

    > > Some people like the O'Reilly style, some don't.- Hide quoted text -

    All,

    Thanks very much for the recommendations. I will have a look at the
    IOS In A Nutshell and IOS Cookbooks from O'Reilly.

    -James.

    James.Brown, Jul 2, 2007