    Network+ and now am going to work towards my MCSA. I'm going to start with
    70-270. I understand the test was updated in April. Can anyone recommend a
    good book for preparing for the exam that covers the new exam?
    Crimson*, May 5, 2005

  2. Crimson*

    GoodLuck Guest

    LOTS OF VALUABLE AND USEFUL INFORMATION - FYI & FAQ

    Great Exam Preps. - Microsoft Skills Assessments are FREE.

    These assessments are like mini certification tests. You
    can take as many assessments as you need or want to and
    there is no cost. You can find these Assessments at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/assessment/default.asp.
    If you need help, you can also find excellent free
    detailed Q&A support for these assessments at:
    http://disnetinc.com/ and http://disnetinc.com/FAQ.htm .

    These assessments are maintained by Microsoft to insure
    they are current with today's technologies. Industry uses
    these assessments to measure your skill sets, so
    completing them successfully is in your best interest.
    Certified Professionals are also being asked by industry
    to complete these assessments to verify their credentials
    are current. Don't wait until you are asked, stay ahead of
    the curve. Do the necessary assessment now. At your
    discretion, Microsoft records and password protects your
    results, which are then available via the internet for
    you to present to your colleagues and industry.

    OTHER INVALUABLE RESEARCH INFORMATION

    Remember, if it is necessary to retake a certification
    exam you can "Get a Free second shot" at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/2ndshot/. Do
    not take more than one exam on the same day. This is a
    recipe for failure. The sequence you take exams in is not
    important. Set the sequence that is best for you. It will
    benefit you to lightly peruse all manuals you may have
    related to your certification efforts to get the bigger
    picture but when you are preparing for an exam focus on
    material specific to the exam.

    You can view all Microsoft Certifications at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.asp .
    From this location you will get the necessary information
    you need to plan and do your training.

    What ever else you do, I encourage you to use Microsoft's
    Press training material. After all this is their product,
    who better to supply training material? You can view
    Microsoft Press books at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/books/product.asp. Most
    Microsoft press books can be acquired for less at
    http://www.ebay.com or any other auction site.

    You can find online training using virtual PCs. Details
    here at https://www.microsoftelearning.com/

    A great place to look for support from some of the best
    technical community leaders is Microsoft's MVPs at
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/. You can Find a
    Community for a Microsoft Product or Technology at
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/products/default.mspx.

    You can View New and Upcoming Exams at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/new.asp

    You can find Simulations in MCP exams at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/simulations/.

    You can find code samples at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/samples/default.
    aspx and http://gotdotnet.com/community/usersamples/

    OTHER FREE TRAINING COURSES YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AS ZIP FILES
    FROM Microsoft E-Learning
    Microsoft E-Learning Course Catalog - Some Courses are
    Free at:
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/catalog/default.aspx#exc
    hangeServer
    Microsoft E-Learning > FREE > Office >
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/catalog/default.aspx#off
    ice
    Microsoft > FREE > Office > BROWSE TRAINING COURSES >
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/default.aspx
    Microsoft > FREE > Office > BROWSE OFFICE 2003 DEMOS >
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010804491033.aspx

    Please do not be discourage by negative feedback you
    receive from time to time. Look for support from your
    friends and colleagues. Use your own best judgement in
    deciding what you should or should not use for your chosen
    study plan and material.

    We trust this information will be of value to you in your
    chosen profession.

    got my A+ &

    GoodLuck, May 5, 2005

  3. Crimson*

    Guest Guest

    Recommendation:

    You can view all Microsoft Certifications at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.asp .
    From this location you will get the necessary information
    you need to plan and do your training.

    What ever else you do, I encourage you to use Microsoft's
    Press training material. After all this is their product,
    who better to supply training material? You can view
    Microsoft Press books at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/books/product.asp. Most
    Microsoft press books can be acquired for less at
    http://www.amazon.com , http://www.ebay.com or any other
    auction site.

    Guest, May 5, 2005
  4. Crimson*

    JaR Guest

    JaR, May 5, 2005
  5. Crimson*

    T-Bone Guest

    <> wrote
    > Recommendation:

    .... and a multiposting assfscker at that.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, May 5, 2005
  6. Crimson*

    Briscobar Guest

    In news:427a819c$1_2@127.0.0.1,
    Anonymous <> rambled:
    > Interesting, that individual uses a lowercase 'a', and I use an
    > uppercase 'A' with Anonymous. At least he/she spelled it correctly.

    The other poster posted from microsoft.com, and when you do that, it
    defaults to for an email address (and
    handle). You're posting with OE, which allows you to enter your email addy
    (which you did with ) and a handle. He/she/it didn't spell it
    correctly - he/she/it was simply too lazy to create a nick.

    > T-Bone, you appear rather intelligent about Windows, etc. Why do you
    > include vulgarity with your posts? You would get a ton of respect if
    > you didn't. ;)

    Although I didn't see the original post (because I have plonked the
    anonymii), I understand why T-Bone used the tone he did: spamming is wholly
    unwelcome here, and in most newsgroups.

    And FWIW, my buddy Koko here does indeed get a lot of respect here, and in
    mpce.mcse.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    MCNGP members will fix your car, free of charge. Ask us about it at
    www.mcngp.com.
    Briscobar, May 5, 2005
  7. Crimson*

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, Anonymous expostulated for all the
    world to hear;

    > Interesting, that individual uses a lowercase 'a', and I use an
    > uppercase 'A' with Anonymous. At least he/she spelled it correctly.
    > T-Bone, you appear rather intelligent about Windows, etc. Why do you
    > include vulgarity with your posts? You would get a ton of respect if
    > you didn't. ;)

    Interesting? Yes, in a Yeller Pick-at-you kinda way, I s'pose.

    Imagine how interesting it would be if it was in the least bit original!

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    JaR, May 5, 2005
  8. Crimson*

    Crimson* Guest

    What I'm looking for is a "fill in the gaps" kind of book. I've been in the
    industry for 9 years and have experience with quite a bit. It's been a few
    years since I took my A+, but I spent about a month reading a book about it
    just to fill in anything I might need to refresh and had no problems with
    the exams (5 minutes and I was done.) I realize 70-270 is probably more
    complex, but I'm looking for something that is a good read and detailed.
    Crimson*, May 6, 2005
  9. Crimson*

    Orin Thomas Guest

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:56:41 +0000, Crimson* wrote:

    > What I'm looking for is a "fill in the gaps" kind of book. I've been in the
    > industry for 9 years and have experience with quite a bit. It's been a few
    > years since I took my A+, but I spent about a month reading a book about it
    > just to fill in anything I might need to refresh and had no problems with
    > the exams (5 minutes and I was done.) I realize 70-270 is probably more
    > complex, but I'm looking for something that is a good read and detailed.

    The 2nd Edition of the MS Press Training Kit for 70-270, released a couple
    of months ago, has some good reviews. Its ISBN is 0735621527

    The Sybex offering's (ISBN: 0782142419) reviews aren't so grand, but it
    has been around longer.

    You have to take any reviews with a grain of salt as the people that often
    write them can be snarky because they failed the exam and are looking for
    someone to blame. Unless they are flabbergasted by a book, few people will
    write a positive review.

    I'm biased towards MS Press because I've written several TK for them
    (though not the 270 one, though I have worked with one of the authors on
    that project before). If you look at enough reviews on different sites,
    you should be able to come to your own independent judgment about what is
    right for you.

    Orin Thomas
    http://www.certtutor.net
    Orin Thomas, May 6, 2005
  10. Crimson*

    Crimson* Guest

    Thanks for the recommendation. I think that's the way I was leaning (MS
    Press). I usually get my tech books from Bookpool and the MS Press book for
    the 70-270 is the bestseller in that category. Thanks again.
    Crimson*, May 6, 2005
  11. Anonymous wrote:
    > All the votes aren't in yet as to whether or not the test was

    updated. This
    > was a question raised by a previous poster. I question the validity

    of this
    > claim, because this was the ONLY post that mentioned that. I plan on

    taking
    > it in a couple of weeks (70-270).

    People right and left are passing it post April 1st, so I wouldn't
    worry too much.

    > When I asked which testing center was involved, the person never

    replied. I
    > am not accusing this person of anything. I hope this isn't the case

    because
    > I'm a terrible test taker and read into things WAY too much. As with
    > anything, you should actually know the material that you are getting
    > certified in. That is a matter of personal integrity.

    I'm not sure the testing center has anything to do with the content of
    the test. The way I understand it, the centers download fresh-generated
    tests off VUE and Prometric servers on a daily basis. You could go to
    any one of them and it wouldn't make a difference.
    blastingfonda, May 6, 2005
  12. Crimson*

    T-Bone Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote
    > T-Bone, you
    > appear rather intelligent about Windows, etc. Why do you include

    vulgarity
    > with your posts? You would get a ton of respect if you didn't. ;)

    Vulgarity is reserved only for those who deserve it. The individual at whom
    my reply was directed condones cheating on the exams and is also a spammer.
    You may google on that particular phrase which I used to find more on this,
    or check out the MCNGP website at www.mcngp.com.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, May 6, 2005
  13. Crimson*

    Wayne Guest

    You try to confuse! I am going to call the police, and then, you're going to
    go to jail.
    a*s*s*f*s*c*k*e*r* spammer.

    --
    Wayne McGlinn