    Please recommend a book that takes someon who doesn't know much about Linux
    and walks them step-by-step through installing and hardening LAMP.

    Many thanks.

    NotGiven, Dec 10, 2005

  2. NotGiven

    Ray Tayek Guest

    "NotGiven" <> wrote in message
    news:bdHmf.5484$...
    > I've been programming php for a while and now need to learn to install &
    > harden a LAMP server.

    this book if free online: http://www.chongluo.com/books/rute/. it's a good
    place to start.

    > Please recommend a book that takes someon who doesn't know much about
    > Linux
    > and walks them step-by-step through installing and hardening LAMP. ...

    i am not a security expert. but you will mostly restrict services (the stuff
    listed in /etc/services). fool around with /etc/hosts.allow (and deny(,.
    iptables. using ssh instead of telenet. encrypted port forwarding. get the
    latest apps and paches. build your own kernal if you are really
    paranoid.etc.

    try to find a local linux user group and attend:
    http://www.linux.org/groups/.

    thanks

    Ray Tayek, Dec 10, 2005